Unit 24 NM - Archery Jan Hunt

Hello Guys - I drew this new hunt this year and was wondering if anyone had hunted this in the past?

I am completely new to western hunting so would love any information.

Fitzwho

WKR
I'll be hunting the Coues' rifle tag in November. I haven't spent any time in the unit, but I'll send you any updates that I can. I live about 7 hours from the unit, so I'll try to scout the unit once or twice this summer. Worst case I'll send you an update after my hunt.

OP
L
I'll be hunting the Coues' rifle tag in November. I haven't spent any time in the unit, but I'll send you any updates that I can. I live about 7 hours from the unit, so I'll try to scout the unit once or twice this summer. Worst case I'll send you an update after my hunt.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Trial153

WKR
I hunted 21 and 24 a bit, you might( will ) run into some access issues in the south of it but to the north your all set.

MikeS1968

FNG
New member here. I bought a leftover muzzy tag for mule deer in 24. I’ve never been to that unit and my scouting opportunities will be limited. The hunt starts late Oct. and I’ll try and get some info on here as I get it.

tx_basser

FNG
New member also.. Looking at picking up a Muzzy leftover in 24 like Mike indicated, but waiting to see what leftovers are from Colorado first. A shame we are not all in same season we could pick this place apart.

MikeS1968

FNG
Hello Guys - I drew this new hunt this year and was wondering if anyone had hunted this in the past?

I am completely new to western hunting so would love any information.
New member here. I bought a leftover muzzy tag for mule deer in 24. I’ve never been to that unit and my scouting opportunities will be limited. The hunt starts late Oct. and I’ll try and get some info on here as I get it.
—-UPDATE—- I scouted a few areas before my hunt then hunted for 4 days, here’s what I found. Keep in mind I prefer to hike a short distance then sit and glass semi-open areas. I concentrated around the Membris area.
•The areas I scouted ended up being steep with deep canyons. Difficult to get too far from roads
•Most everyone road-hunts
•The areas around Georgetown was too thick for me
•Shingles canyon was too thick for me
•McKnight road has semi-open country and popular with hunters
•Alley canyon has a mix of open, semi-open and thick areas to hunt
•Royal John Mine road has semi-open country and popular with hunters (this is the area I hunted). 1 decent mule deer buck was taken from here and a few small bucks).
• During my scouts and hunt all I saw were very young small bucks. I passed on all and went home empty handed.
Hope this helps someone needing a little info on that little corner of unit 24.

OP
L
—-UPDATE—- I scouted a few areas before my hunt then hunted for 4 days, here’s what I found. Keep in mind I prefer to hike a short distance then sit and glass semi-open areas. I concentrated around the Membris area.
•The areas I scouted ended up being steep with deep canyons. Difficult to get too far from roads
•Most everyone road-hunts
•The areas around Georgetown was too thick for me
•Shingles canyon was too thick for me
•McKnight road has semi-open country and popular with hunters
•Alley canyon has a mix of open, semi-open and thick areas to hunt
•Royal John Mine road has semi-open country and popular with hunters (this is the area I hunted). 1 decent mule deer buck was taken from here and a few small bucks).
• During my scouts and hunt all I saw were very young small bucks. I passed on all and went home empty handed.
Hope this helps someone needing a little info on that little corner of unit 24.
Thanks for the info Mike. What led you to Mimbres vs other areas of the unit like the East and the Silver City areas?

Last edited:

MikeS1968

FNG
Thanks for the info Mike. What led you to Mimbres vs other areas of the unit like the East and the Silver City areas?
I called the local Game Warden and told him how I prefer to glass from a distance at semi-open areas for deer. He told me of a few areas that I might like and the Mimbres area was mentioned most. I sure wish I could have had more time to scout areas around Silver City as that looked pretty good also.

Last edited: