Unit 25 Wyoming

wapitibob

WKR
Many already believe only the "truly dedicated" should hunt and as such advocate for pay up front or choose your weapon changes to some states draw systems.

Rich M

WKR
Many already believe only the "truly dedicated" should hunt and as such advocate for pay up front or choose your weapon changes to some states draw systems.

I see nothing wrong with paying up front - or weapon specific tags.
Either you can afford it or you can't.
You already know what you're gonna use for a weapon.

The "truly dedicated" part makes it seem like folks are wishy washy - why would someone apply for a tag they weren't gonna use? Why would they apply for a license they couldn't afford?

I'm kinda surprised we haven't heard folks pushing for NR hunters to get a max of 1 tag per state.

BDoerr

FNG
For those looking for a decent start on which public is accessible from county roads in 25, I made a little cheat sheet on onx after spending many hours researching for myself for a hunt that isn’t going to pan out this year.. this should be pretty accurate, but don’t come at me if I’m wrong. Hope this helps somebody.

- purple / green are public roads that lead to public land.
- yellow are 2 tire roads on public
- cyan is the border of the accessible plot
- the x’s are where the public roads become private.

531EE40B-DC91-4C0A-B2F4-9D81F7BFFEC1.jpeg

Last edited:

bmrfish

WKR
I just ordered a unit 25 map from my topo. I should be able to make a stop at the BLM or fish and game office in Casper and have them show me what roads are public right?

Yes for sure. We’ve done this and they gave us great info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pwells10

WKR
Man with the amount of people on this forum that drew this tag, we might as well all get together the night before for some drinks lol

Fordguy

WKR
It seems like a simple solution for the state/county to provide an easement to all landlocked parcels. It would solve a lot of problems and dangerous situations by spreading hunting pressure over a much larger area. It wouldn't be popular with landowners and outfitters who enjoy exclusive rights to the public land. Im sure it's probably different in wyoming but a Michigan county decided to move a road onto property that a friend of mine owns. He had no say. They said it was by right of eminent domain, and for the safety of everyone who used the road. Basically they eliminated a curve in the road and it now goes through his cow pasture. A foot traffic easement would allow the landowners to continue using their land while allowing hunters to spread out a little. Perhaps the county would eliminate property tax on the portion or section of the ground that the easement passes through. They certainly make up more than the difference in l tag fees and even more with the proposed future increases in nr tag prices.
Who thinks that packing way too many hunters into a tiny public area is safe? Yes people are responsible for their own actions (meaning firearm safety) but we all know that common sense isn't common, i feel like it's growing less common all the time. The state selling that many tags for a unit with so little public access adds up to a potentially dangerous situation.
Unfortunately the response to a safety complaint would probably be to issue fewer tags rather than increase access.

Just spitballing here. I'm sure the above suggestion would float like a lead balloon. It's just difficult to hear about so much crowding and just plain dangerous situations when a guy can look at a map and see all the public land that really isn't public.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
It seems like a simple solution for the state/county to provide an easement to all landlocked parcels. It would solve a lot of problems and dangerous situations by spreading hunting pressure over a much larger area. It wouldn't be popular with landowners and outfitters who enjoy exclusive rights to the public land. Im sure it's probably different in wyoming but a Michigan county decided to move a road onto property that a friend of mine owns. He had no say. They said it was by right of eminent domain, and for the safety of everyone who used the road. Basically they eliminated a curve in the road and it now goes through his cow pasture. A foot traffic easement would allow the landowners to continue using their land while allowing hunters to spread out a little. Perhaps the county would eliminate property tax on the portion or section of the ground that the easement passes through. They certainly make up more than the difference in l tag fees and even more with the proposed future increases in nr tag prices.
Who thinks that packing way too many hunters into a tiny public area is safe? Yes people are responsible for their own actions (meaning firearm safety) but we all know that common sense isn't common, i feel like it's growing less common all the time. The state selling that many tags for a unit with so little public access adds up to a potentially dangerous situation.
Unfortunately the response to a safety complaint would probably be to issue fewer tags rather than increase access.

Just spitballing here. I'm sure the above suggestion would float like a lead balloon. It's just difficult to hear about so much crowding and just plain dangerous situations when a guy can look at a map and see all the public land that really isn't public.
Who's going to fund your idea?

Easements aren't cheap...I just signed a check for $47,000 to partially fund one.

We can't even get hunters to donate a single dollar to AccessYes...yet people want perpetual easements for free...

Unbelievable.

WY G&F has a program reliant on hunter donations, and it has yet to raise a single dollar? Please let me know how to donate, would like to be the first one.

Fordguy

WKR
Ahh, Buzz... I figured it was only a matter of time, turns out I was right. Wyoming is nearly 50% federal public land, 3 million acres plus some is inaccessible- that's an awful lot of space for hunters and game animals. Who said anything about free? Where there's a will, there's a way, and when it comes to public safety and eminent domain, its the state's will that matters. The state did pay my friend when they moved the road, though not what the portion of his property was technically worth. As I mentioned previously in regard to easements, the reduction or elimination of property tax on all or a portion of the property could be used to "fund" the easement, or at least make it more palatable to the land owner. Depending on the size of the property and length of the easement, over time that could add up to quite a bit. The entire process could take a long time, and that would be ok. If there was a plan in place and progress being made so that every year people could access more of the land that they help pay for- I'd be good with that. Private entities can only do so much.
I'll go toe to toe with you here just like I have on the other thread, and I'll do it without your snide remarks and comments.
As always, if someone has a better suggestion for the topic at hand, I'm willing to listen.

BuzzH

WKR
WY G&F has a program reliant on hunter donations, and it has yet to raise a single dollar? Please let me know how to donate, would like to be the first one.
Maybe I wasn't clear...not many of the thousands and thousands of NR and R hunters that purchase licenses donate even a single dollar to the AccessYes program here. Yet, many thousands utilize the program, which opens up about 2.5 million acres of access annually (give or take depending on the year).

You can donate at point of sale or when you apply for tags. I'm one of the top 4 individual donors to that program and have been for the 20 years I've lived in Wyoming.

BuzzH

WKR
Ahh, Buzz... I figured it was only a matter of time, turns out I was right. Wyoming is nearly 50% federal public land, 3 million acres plus some is inaccessible- that's an awful lot of space for hunters and game animals. Who said anything about free? Where there's a will, there's a way, and when it comes to public safety and eminent domain, its the state's will that matters. The state did pay my friend when they moved the road, though not what the portion of his property was technically worth. As I mentioned previously in regard to easements, the reduction or elimination of property tax on all or a portion of the property could be used to "fund" the easement, or at least make it more palatable to the land owner. Depending on the size of the property and length of the easement, over time that could add up to quite a bit. The entire process could take a long time, and that would be ok. If there was a plan in place and progress being made so that every year people could access more of the land that they help pay for- I'd be good with that. Private entities can only do so much.
I'll go toe to toe with you here just like I have on the other thread, and I'll do it without your snide remarks and comments.
As always, if someone has a better suggestion for the topic at hand, I'm willing to listen.
Sounds wonderful, I'm sure rural counties in Wyoming will appreciate the reduction in taxes so that access is more convenient for you. I'm sure not being able to provide the basic infrastructure, law enforcement, ambulance service, etc. will be real winner for them so you can hunt a piece of land-locked BLM or State ground.

I like your over-all idea, but cutting funding to cash strapped Wyoming counties isn't going to fly...ask a single county commissioner to cut tax funding. Well, good luck with that. Its not me you need to go toe-to-toe with for your tax elimination idea...

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
Maybe Wyoming fish and game could use some of their budget surplus to buy easements. That 43.5 million annual nonresident license fees could open a lot of ground.
Took a big step doing that in February...Sportsmen's groups stepped up and pushed HB 122 which provides significant funding for Access. I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Wyoming decision makers pushing this.

This bill allows, the GF to maintain their management without having to cut funding to other important projects to fund Access.

Even better, would be if NR and R sportsmen put their money where their mouths are and provided donations at point of sale and when they submit applications to increase funding for AccessYes. No way should I be one of the top 4 individual donors to this program or be getting hand written thank you's from the GF Director for my contributions.

Representative Cyrus Western of Sheridan, an avid hunter and angler and the primary sponsor of the bill, stressed the collaborative and bipartisan support behind it. “This was a team effort of the highest order,” said Western. “From industry leaders to local hunters and sportsmen groups, there was an authentic and organic push for this legislation by people who hold public access near and dear. Sportsmen and women made their voices heard by coming out to support this bill in big numbers.”

The legislation raises the cost of an annual conservation stamp, which hunters and anglers are required to purchase before going hunting or fishing, by $9 to create a fund for the Wyoming Game and Fish to develop more access agreements to private and landlocked or difficult-to-access federal and state lands. This will help complement Wyoming’s existing Access Yes program with additional opportunities for hunting and fishing.

“Not only is this a great step in addressing the landlocked issue for hunters and anglers, it also provides landowners a voluntary opportunity for additional income to maintain their ranches and livelihoods,” said Nick Dobric, Wyoming representative for the TRCP.

The bill also directs a small portion of funds to making roadways safer for drivers and wildlife, as well as supporting jobs by funding wildlife-friendly highway crossing structures and fish passage projects.

Along with Wyoming Wildlife Federation and Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, other sportsmen’s organizations that supported the bill were Mule Deer Foundation, Western Bear Foundation, Wyoming Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Trout Unlimited, Muley Fanatic Foundation, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Water for Wildlife Foundation, One Shot Antelope Hunt Club, and Bowhunters of Wyoming.

Last edited:
Took a big step doing that in February...Sportsmen's groups stepped up and pushed HB 122 which provides significant funding for Access. I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Wyoming decision makers pushing this.

This bill allows, the GF to maintain their management without having to cut funding to other important projects to fund Access.

Even better, would be if NR and R sportsmen put their money where their mouths are and provided donations at point of sale and when they submit applications to increase funding for AccessYes. No way should I be one of the top 4 individual donors to this program or be getting hand written thank you's from the GF Director for my contributions.

Representative Cyrus Western of Sheridan, an avid hunter and angler and the primary sponsor of the bill, stressed the collaborative and bipartisan support behind it. “This was a team effort of the highest order,” said Western. “From industry leaders to local hunters and sportsmen groups, there was an authentic and organic push for this legislation by people who hold public access near and dear. Sportsmen and women made their voices heard by coming out to support this bill in big numbers.”

The legislation raises the cost of an annual conservation stamp, which hunters and anglers are required to purchase before going hunting or fishing, by $9 to create a fund for the Wyoming Game and Fish to develop more access agreements to private and landlocked or difficult-to-access federal and state lands. This will help complement Wyoming’s existing Access Yes program with additional opportunities for hunting and fishing.

“Not only is this a great step in addressing the landlocked issue for hunters and anglers, it also provides landowners a voluntary opportunity for additional income to maintain their ranches and livelihoods,” said Nick Dobric, Wyoming representative for the TRCP.

The bill also directs a small portion of funds to making roadways safer for drivers and wildlife, as well as supporting jobs by funding wildlife-friendly highway crossing structures and fish passage projects.

Along with Wyoming Wildlife Federation and Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, other sportsmen’s organizations that supported the bill were Mule Deer Foundation, Western Bear Foundation, Wyoming Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Trout Unlimited, Muley Fanatic Foundation, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Water for Wildlife Foundation, One Shot Antelope Hunt Club, and Bowhunters of Wyoming.
I don’t know how much you’re donating to get a hand written letter from the Director, but I will try my best to step up my game.

BuzzH

WKR
I don’t know how much you’re donating to get a hand written letter from the Director, but I will try my best to step up my game.
$200-$250 per year...over the last 21 years. I'm guessing around $4500-$5000 total, makes up for a bunch of cheapskates that use the program and contribute nothing.

AF36F403-73BF-4630-816E-2DC78C053F54.jpeg