Unit 27 No longer OTC?

bowuntr

WKR
what I’m saying is after it all goes to a draw it won’t take that many points for most units. 3c is that many because it’s alternative management which means it’s managed the same as the kiabab. And it has the most mule deer and biggest average mule deer south of the big ditch. The unit 1 archey onlu took 3 points

Show you what about the 20%? The guidelines that say at 20% of overall harvest archey opp goes away. Or that 20% of overall harvest was actually by archers.

I think you hit the nail on the head. You’re selfish and care less about the resource because you think you don’t have many years left. Which is a bad way to be if you have kids or grandkids
Show everyone here the stats where 27 hit 20%. F&G should have them to change it to a draw.... right? Without mandatory reporting they don't have them.

I expected you to call me selfish... that's why I wrote it and you did. I would like to bowhunt deer every year in my home state... for that I am selfish.. I do care about the resource and have been involved in wildlife conservation organizations for over 30 years. I also have kids and very much care about their future hunting opportunities. Which, when AZ goes to a draw will be limited and with point creep will get worse with every year.... in case you haven't noticed what's going on in the western states.

Your speculation on there not being much of a demand for bowhunting deer in most units contradicts your position that these units are overcrowded.... which is it? Then you speculate that it will only take a few years to draw most tags.... where did you come up with that? Be careful what you wish for... Ed F

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Show everyone here the stats where 27 hit 20%. F&G should have them to change it to a draw.... right? Without mandatory reporting they don't have them.

I expected you to call me selfish... that's why I wrote it and you did. I would like to bowhunt deer every year in my home state... for that I am selfish.. I do care about the resource and have been involved in wildlife conservation organizations for over 30 years. I also have kids and very much care about their future hunting opportunities. Which, when AZ goes to a draw will be limited and with point creep will get worse with every year.... in case you haven't noticed what's going on in the western states.

Your speculation on there not being much of a demand for bowhunting deer in most units contradicts your position that these units are overcrowded.... which is it? Then you speculate that it will only take a few years to draw most tags.... where did you come up with that? Be careful what you wish for... Ed F
I can't find the file right now but they do have the stats. The issue with them is only 9% of archery hunters send in their survey every year. So that's on us hunters for not giving them quality information. GF is trying to do the right thing for the animals and it pisses people off. I just can't wrap my mind around it.

The number of People that draw rifle tags and archery hunt is large. When people have to decide between an archery tag or a rifle tag the number of applicants will be higher for rifle. Thus the draw odds will be lower for archery.

Again look at unit 1 archery.. has been a draw for 4 years now. Takes 3 points to guarantee. That's one year if you have hunter ed and loyalty

bowuntr

WKR
You are guessing at everything... history has shown in other states that went to all draw, it may be 3 points this year but will gradually increase every year. Kaibab archery took 1 point when it started... If it's really about the animals the gun hunts would drastically be cut back. Be careful what you wish for Ed F

Trial153

WKR
There are no free lunch’s. Any increase, either real or perceived has to come from someone else’s loss of opportunity.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
You are guessing at everything... history has shown in other states that went to all draw, it may be 3 points this year but will gradually increase every year. Kaibab archery took 1 point when it started... If it's really about the animals the gun hunts would drastically be cut back. Be careful what you wish for Ed F
Be careful what I wish for? Never once did I say I want them to go to a draw but it's gonna happen.

There may be better ideas but they can't do something that isn't in their guidelines. Imagine the shit storm you would throw if they did some thing that wasn't in the guidelines. You're unhappy with something everyone knew was a possibility for over 5 years.

Again stop blaming gf for not knowing where people are hunting and deer are killed. Every tag holder gets a hunter survey in the mail to fill that info out. It's hunters fault, not gf!!

Your idea is now an option with them asking for ideas on the next 5 years of guidelines. Have you submitted it or are you just a key board warrior.

I don't believe that it will take 10 years to draw archery tags in most units. Just not enough bow hunters compared to demand.

Have you talked to a biologist? I have. And it was their recommendations. So you're wrong. Because they go by what is in the guidelines. And yes hunters have the ability to provide comments on what should be or shouldnt be in the guidelines.
Just my opinion didnt mean to set you off on your keyboard. If you look at my history I dont post much so theres that.
I live in AZ and frequent the area so i have knowledge.
I do get involved and go to meetings and say hello to the one other hunter that showed up. I do send in comments but dont feel like it has made any difference in the decisions but rather lip service.
I have talked to the Biologist (Aaron Hartsell)
I have spent well over 50 days roaming the unit and can make an informed opinion.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Just my opinion didnt mean to set you off on your keyboard. If you look at my history I dont post much so theres that.
I live in AZ and frequent the area so i have knowledge.
I do get involved and go to meetings and say hello to the one other hunter that showed up. I do send in comments but dont feel like it has made any difference in the decisions but rather lip service.
I have talked to the Biologist (Aaron Hartsell)
I have spent well over 50 days roaming the unit and can make an informed opinion.
Talking to people in the field (Hartzell is now the region 1 boss) can get things done. I agree that sending comments to the Commission seems to be a waste of time but I don't think we should stop sending comments. Giving up is not the way to go (not saying you are but some are). You didn't set me off its just that most people don't even know how it actually works!!

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I'm torn on 27 going to a draw but selfishly (since that terms been getting thrown around) I'm glad its going to a draw. I'm hoping it will divert some traffic elsewhere, hopefully spread out the flood of out of state hunters. For the majority we pack in for our hunts, and it used to be we would rarely come across other people in the country that we hunt but here lately it seems there's been an increase in the numbers of people getting into the back country. Most of which have been people from out of state which I can only assume we have social media, gohunt, and forums to thank for that. Now with that being said the people we run into are usually some really cool people but it does bum me out thinking the way hunting pressure is going I don't think they'll be any more rocks left unturned. I think it'd be great seeing out of state hunters have to put in for a draw opposed to OTC and increase the price some for out of state hunters, haven't looked into it to much but think we're still pretty low compared to most other states. Out of things I've read and people I've talked to it sounds like OTC hunts...and largely out of state hunting pressure is what made Colorado go to s##t. But I'm definitely with ED F, I'd hate to see all these archery hunts go to draw for residents, I love being able to hunt every year whether I draw or not, that's mainly why I started getting more into archery hunting.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’d like to see a 2pt minimum and check in of deer.
I personally know dirtbags that will “forget” they got a deer in January then be bragging their velvet or December deer to me later in the same year...

dtrkyman

WKR
Problem with dirt bags is their dirt bags, changing any laws won't typically have much effect on them.

27 last AUG. was a chit show, I did pack in a few days and get away from the pressure but it was crazy!

January was bad as well, went to several spots I have hunted the past few years where I would see nobody and there were guys at all of them. I left a bunch of deer and hunters to find deer somewhere else, which really didn't pan out.

I have my tag and have not even gone back. Pressure in the units close to 27 is likely way up!

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to see a 2pt minimum and check in of deer.
I personally know dirtbags that will “forget” they got a deer in January then be bragging their velvet or December deer to me later in the same year...
Point minimums don't work. As mentioned dirt bags are dirt bags but I hope you reported them. Someone double dipping is hurting EVERYONE!!!!!

schmalzy

WKR
Not educated or well versed on the topic, but as an out of state guy who has hunted 27, I get it. Glad to see some measure of preservation is being done for the unit. I’d like to see an OTC with caps per unit or region, but I admittedly don’t know what other implications that would bring.

I hunted August of 2019. Definitely a lot of guys out there but didn’t run into anybody outside of trailheads/parking areas. One of the better known campgrounds was completely empty, on a weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk