Unit 27 No longer OTC?

aarmst95

WKR
Not sure if I missed something…looking at the Reg book today and it seems that unit 27 went Draw only?? Was really hoping to get out there again this year.

FlyGuy

WKR
I guess you are talking about AZ? If so, yes it went to a draw. I drew it, actually. My first time archery hunting for mule deer…. Pumped to finally have a tag in my pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
A

aarmst95

WKR
I guess you are talking about AZ? If so, yes it went to a draw. I drew it, actually. My first time archery hunting for mule deer…. Pumped to finally have a tag in my pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sorry forgot to mention AZ.

OP
A

aarmst95

WKR

S.Clancy

WKR

If anyone wants specific on seasons I’ve attached the AZ Reg book but for a quick synopsis… Looks like there will still be an Archery only season August 20-Sep 9th , a youth season Oct 8-14, General season for any antlered deer October 29th-November 4th, Whitetail only October 22-28 & December 10-31.
That's what I saw too....lameeee

money

FNG
long overdue. 27 can be a great unit if there isn't 10,000 people out shooting everything with horns and wounding a bunch of deer. Limiting numbers like they are now will turn 27 into an even better unit and it will be worth burning some points on. Unit 23 needs the same treatment in my opinion. Just too much pressure with more and more people moving in and looking for a hunt to go on. Archery hunting 27 is a blast, but all of the state probably needs to go to a draw so that hunt quality will go up and help a little with the point system as people will now have to use points to hunt rather than hold all their points and then archery hunt every year.

I’m starting to think all OTC mule deer in AZ should close. Their numbers are down almost everywhere. It may just be perception but it seems like the number of mature bucks I’ve seen are down as well (not talking about Strip, Kaibab or 3A/C). I’d be curious to see what effect the archery draw has in units 1 and now 27 with buck:doe ratios and age

Coues on the other hand are jumpy little critters, I’m not too worried about them. Plus fewer NR’s want to make the trip for smaller version of they slaughter by the dozen back east

Last edited:

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
With the popularity of hunting in the state on the rise and the continued promotion of the OTC opportunities with deer, I think we're well on the road to seeing most/all the OTC mule deer hunts changing over to the draw.

Northpark

WKR
You can probably thank AZGF for paying social media influencers to promote the OTC deer hunts in AZ, causing it to become so popular they had to shut down OTC units to a draw….
Interesting that this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this. Paying people on social media to come hunt to promote the OTC hunts seems like a good business decision to get people to spend money on tags but it would definitely make the hunting worse in my opinion.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful what you wish for... I can't imagine not being able to bowhunt deer in my own state... Ed F
You can still bowhunt in AZ, even if it all goes to a draw. You just have to draw the tag and can't go rifle hunting.