Unit 27 No longer OTC?

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Nr are buying 10.5% of the 30,000 OTC tags, and those 30,000 tags aren't going away. The OTC to draw decision is triggered by success rates.
I suspect, but have no evidence, that NR shoot a higher percentage. If I had been here on vacation for a week in January I probably would have filled my tag on a small buck. As an R I’m picky in January so I’m not out of the draw and don’t miss august/December. As it turns out I drew a good December rife tag, so I’ll be even more picky in August so I can hunt the rifle tag.

bowuntr

WKR
You can still bowhunt in AZ, even if it all goes to a draw. You just have to draw the tag and can't go rifle hunting.
Not going to burn my points on a single unit that I could previously hunt OTC. I'm a resident and currently hunt 7 or 8 different units over 3 seasons and don't rifle hunt. I'll move if it goes to a draw and keep my resident status with my lifetime license. Ed F

S.Clancy

WKR
long overdue. 27 can be a great unit if there isn't 10,000 people out shooting everything with horns and wounding a bunch of deer. Limiting numbers like they are now will turn 27 into an even better unit and it will be worth burning some points on. Unit 23 needs the same treatment in my opinion. Just too much pressure with more and more people moving in and looking for a hunt to go on. Archery hunting 27 is a blast, but all of the state probably needs to go to a draw so that hunt quality will go up and help a little with the point system as people will now have to use points to hunt rather than hold all their points and then archery hunt every year.
That's funny, my experience with 27 was being able to get away from people and getting into quite a few nice bucks. I'm fine with it going draw, would be nice to get a January draw season tho.

money

FNG
That's funny, my experience with 27 was being able to get away from people and getting into quite a few nice bucks. I'm fine with it going draw, would be nice to get a January draw season tho.
I also was able to find nice bucks and get away from people, but it will still help the unit greatly to let a ton of those smaller bucks live because they are not getting road hunted so much. lots of young bucks are killed and wounded up there because they had some many tags. Less tags will never hurt 27. It can only help the quality and experience get that much better. 27 is awesome and one of my favorite places on earth, but now it can become even better that is why i like the change.

S.Clancy

WKR
I also was able to find nice bucks and get away from people, but it will still help the unit greatly to let a ton of those smaller bucks live because they are not getting road hunted so much. lots of young bucks are killed and wounded up there because they had some many tags. Less tags will never hurt 27. It can only help the quality and experience get that much better. 27 is awesome and one of my favorite places on earth, but now it can become even better that is why i like the change.
Yea, I'm all for it going to draw. I just wanted a January archery draw selfishly.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I've had this opinion on my mind for awhile. Basically it goes, a lot of hunters bring up the issue that the number and quality of any big game species is down in the western states. Yet many hunters put in for multiple states to hunt in thus taking more game from everyone. Yes its great the funds go to conservation and help bring income into other states, however when you have multiple individuals taking multiple big game animals it's no wonder the quality and population is not able to sustain itself.
I love hunting, I only choose to hunt in my home state of Arizona.

204guy

WKR
You can probably thank AZGF for paying social media influencers to promote the OTC deer hunts in AZ, causing it to become so popular they had to shut down OTC units to a draw….
There's no probably about it. Shameful what some will do in pursuit of the almighty dollar. If I was a resident and lost otc opportunity because of a bunch of nr social media influencers where paid, (upper 5 figures at that), to promote the otc hunting to the point it was "loved to death" I'd be pretty livid.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Not going to burn my points on a single unit that I could previously hunt OTC. I'm a resident and currently hunt 7 or 8 different units over 3 seasons and don't rifle hunt. I'll move if it goes to a draw and keep my resident status with my lifetime license. Ed F
A draw archery unit will be way better than what your hunting now. How is that a down side?

bowuntr

WKR
A draw archery unit will be way better than what your hunting now. How is that a down side?
How did you come to that conclusion? What is way better? You're forgetting about the number of gun tags and number of seasons these deer are getting pressure from. Bowhunters aren't impacting deer numbers like AZGF is leading us to believe. Without mandatory reporting... they are just guessing. Be careful what you wish for... Ed F

how in the heck could going to a draw be better? Waiting 10 years to draw a tag is better? There was a much better solution in regulating the amount of OTC tags per unit would have solved any issue, they have no idea where OTC tags are being used or any harvest numbers. I gurentee no decision was made with information from biologists. I think it was to be on the safe side knee jerk reaction based on some recent media attention.
In the end the over population of hunters will drive all hunting in the west in this direction, its coming no matter what we do. Super Bummer

I would like to archery deer treated like bears. Mandatory reporting within 48 hours and units close the Tuesday after the quota is reached. It wouldn’t be perfect but it would keep OTC around longer than any other option

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
How did you come to that conclusion? What is way better? You're forgetting about the number of gun tags and number of seasons these deer are getting pressure from. Bowhunters aren't impacting deer numbers like AZGF is leading us to believe. Without mandatory reporting... they are just guessing. Be careful what you wish for... Ed F
It would be better because of way less hunters in the field. Look at 3c. There were 800 plus people archery hunting when it was otc. There are now what, 75 archery tags. Try and tell me that isn't a better hunt now!

27 went to 150 tags. Gonna be way better than the thousands that have been there the last couple years.

All GF said was that bowhunters took more than. 20% of the total harvest in specific units. It has been in their guidelines for years.

You want to blame gf for not having mandatory reporting. I blame us, hunters, for not sending in every harvest report that was sent out.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
how in the heck could going to a draw be better? Waiting 10 years to draw a tag is better? There was a much better solution in regulating the amount of OTC tags per unit would have solved any issue, they have no idea where OTC tags are being used or any harvest numbers. I gurentee no decision was made with information from biologists. I think it was to be on the safe side knee jerk reaction based on some recent media attention.
In the end the over population of hunters will drive all hunting in the west in this direction, its coming no matter what we do. Super Bummer
There may be better ideas but they can't do something that isn't in their guidelines. Imagine the shit storm you would throw if they did some thing that wasn't in the guidelines. You're unhappy with something everyone knew was a possibility for over 5 years.

Again stop blaming gf for not knowing where people are hunting and deer are killed. Every tag holder gets a hunter survey in the mail to fill that info out. It's hunters fault, not gf!!

Your idea is now an option with them asking for ideas on the next 5 years of guidelines. Have you submitted it or are you just a key board warrior.

I don't believe that it will take 10 years to draw archery tags in most units. Just not enough bow hunters compared to demand.

Have you talked to a biologist? I have. And it was their recommendations. So you're wrong. Because they go by what is in the guidelines. And yes hunters have the ability to provide comments on what should be or shouldnt be in the guidelines.

bowuntr

WKR
It would be better because of way less hunters in the field. Look at 3c. There were 800 plus people archery hunting when it was otc. There are now what, 75 archery tags. Try and tell me that isn't a better hunt now!

27 went to 150 tags. Gonna be way better than the thousands that have been there the last couple years.

All GF said was that bowhunters took more than. 20% of the total harvest in specific units. It has been in their guidelines for years.

You want to blame gf for not having mandatory reporting. I blame us, hunters, for not sending in every harvest report that was sent out.
Ok... our definition of way better are two different things... and that's OK. If you are good with waiting 2, 3. 7, 8 (3ac) years to bowhunt deer in AZ and see less hunters, that's fine, I am not. The argument that there will be more and bigger deer doesn't hold water unless they really limit the gun seasons and hunters....

The 20% harvest threshold... please show me those numbers... please, so I can believe what you are saying. Voluntary reporting has never worked for anything... you know that and G&F knows that. Mandatory reporting with repercussions works.... fines, loss of privileges the next season.... Even if they close seasons one by one... it'll force those hunters into the remaining open units, resulting in overcrowding and higher harvest.

I know archery draw is coming... I'm not naive. I just don't like it. I'm 56 years old and my good hard-core hunting days are numbered. I'm retired and spend over 150 days a year in the AZ woods.... Call me selfish.... Ed F

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Ok... our definition of way better are two different things... and that's OK. If you are good with waiting 2, 3. 7, 8 (3ac) years to bowhunt deer in AZ and see less hunters, that's fine, I am not. The argument that there will be more and bigger deer doesn't hold water unless they really limit the gun seasons and hunters....

The 20% harvest threshold... please show me those numbers... please, so I can believe what you are saying. Voluntary reporting has never worked for anything... you know that and G&F knows that. Mandatory reporting with repercussions works.... fines, loss of privileges the next season.... Even if they close seasons one by one... it'll force those hunters into the remaining open units, resulting in overcrowding and higher harvest.

I know archery draw is coming... I'm not naive. I just don't like it. I'm 56 years old and my good hard-core hunting days are numbered. I'm retired and spend over 150 days a year in the AZ woods.... Call me selfish.... Ed F

what I’m saying is after it all goes to a draw it won’t take that many points for most units. 3c is that many because it’s alternative management which means it’s managed the same as the kiabab. And it has the most mule deer and biggest average mule deer south of the big ditch. The unit 1 archey onlu took 3 points

Show you what about the 20%? The guidelines that say at 20% of overall harvest archey opp goes away. Or that 20% of overall harvest was actually by archers.

I think you hit the nail on the head. You’re selfish and care less about the resource because you think you don’t have many years left. Which is a bad way to be if you have kids or grandkids