Unit 28 Idaho

Dzeek

FNG
Buddy and i are headed to Idaho with our Salmon B tags for the elk opener in Oct. We have been looking into unit 28 and i was curious if anyone with knowledge of the area can help out. Main question is, is there any access to the west side of panther creek prior to it merging into the salmon river? Is it shallow enough in spots to cross by foot, our would a small raft be necessary. Thanks

Bachto

WKR
Are you talking about the section from the mouth to cobalt? because the road along panther creek crosses over to the west side right before cobalt. Also the map shows a trail that crosses over the river from the east side over to the west side so I assume theres a foot bridge or its very shallow there.

As far as general information about the unit, I hope you are in really good shape. Whatever shape you think is "good" double it. that whole area is steep and rough. I've hunted it a couple times (not unit 28 specifically but the church and salmon drainage). Get a wolf tag.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
Are you talking about the section from the mouth to cobalt? because the road along panther creek crosses over to the west side right before cobalt. Also the map shows a trail that crosses over the river from the east side over to the west side so I assume theres a foot bridge or its very shallow there.

As far as general information about the unit, I hope you are in really good shape. Whatever shape you think is "good" double it. that whole area is steep and rough. I've hunted it a couple times (not unit 28 specifically but the church and salmon drainage). Get a wolf tag.

Im looking north of cobalt, Gant mountain area. On x shows a trail marking across the creek but wasnt sure if it was a mistake since theres no foot bridge shown. Assuming shallow enough to cross.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
Yes. You’ll be good to cross. Along with quite a few others.

Having company out there, im pretty sure that goes for the majority of the salmon zone from what everyone says. We are going to do our best to get away from the crowds hopefully.

I hunted unit 28 off Morgan Creek Road just before Panther Creek Road last June. We went west up over several ridges with the plan to cross Panther Creek to get to Cougar Lake. It was not passable at the time. 3 feet of snow and the creek was RUSHING. Ran into an outfitter at the trailhead and he said the creek through that stretch hasn't been passable since the snow melt. Learned a lot. I second what Bachto said, very steep and unforgiving terrain.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd be praying for snow to put the Moose Fire out before I made any hard plans in 28. More hot weather and high winds coming this week.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
Plan has been to be on the west side of 28 which is fire free from my understanding.

DHoover

FNG
Do you have stock or on foot? since you mentioned a raft I'm assuming on foot.

DHoover

FNG
I've been in there quite a bit but its been many years ago. You might consider coming up the open ridge to the north. Its less steep and easier hiking. Also get in a day or two early from the opener. There will be people around.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
I've been in there quite a bit but its been many years ago. You might consider coming up the open ridge to the north. Its less steep and easier hiking. Also get in a day or two early from the opener. There will be people around.
We will be there 2 days before the opener. Plan now is to walk north from the area near *edited for secrets*...

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lots of new fires in that area since last month. You're gonna have company since you named specific places on an open forum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
Lots of new fires in that area since last month. You're gonna have company since you named specific places on an open forum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Edited that, i didnt think with 3 weeks to go people would be clueless on were they are going.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
How was your hunt?
The hunt was great. Our first time in the mountains and it was awsome. We didnt kill anything, i got to chase after a 5x5 bull on our 2nd last day. Unfortunately he eluded me, not really sure where he went. He was feeding down the side of a mt and I scrambled to get within range. He may have fed his way over the backside. Saw over 30 elk only the 5x5 and a spike were bulls. Saw probably 50 mule deer, only antlers we saw were spikes.
As we expected we learned alot, the 2nd spot we ended up in was incredibly crowded, that is when I spotted the bull. Finding water was tougher than expected, some water sources looked and smelled like a cow pasture, even filtering and boiling i couldnt get past the smell lol. All in all a amazing experience, every hunter we ran into and chatted with were very kind, local and non.
Wish we were a week later when they are getting snow and cold, 70⁰ and sunny everyday was nice to sit and glass in but not ideal for hunting.