Unit 29 Colorado

What’s up guys. I’m totally new to all this forum stuff but figured I’d just ask.. I drew a unit 29 Colorado 4th season and was wondering if anyone had any tips for that area. If not no worries I know I’m a “NEWBIE”

Foldem

Where are you from?

I trail run the unit a lot because it's the closest mountains to my house (along with the rest of Denver/Boulder metro area) but hunt elsewhere. Expect lots of Boulder, CO recreational hikers, runners, and such. Most deer will likely be off public and on private, Boulder County Open space, or small parcels of BLM interspersed with houses by 4th season... or in the thick trees that makeup most of the unit. You never know what you might turn up if you find some does in a huntable place though. There's a reason there's leftover 4th season tags. It's not going to be impossible to be successful but it's not going to be a remote backcountry experience either. Not much of the wilderness is below treeline and you'd be hard pressed to find a deer up there anyway. Also not a ton of real glassable public at the elevation the deer will be at. Be careful and don't shoot unless you have a good backstop. Maybe bring a bow and knock on doors for yard bucks?

Good pizza and beer at Crosscut in Nederland! James peak brewery and smokehouse is good too.

Nickofthewoods

Tagged along on a friend's 29 4th rifle hunt last year. We sat on a group of about 14 does for 4 days straight and no bucks ever showed up. We had eyes on them from across a valley every day from sunup to sundown. We didn't dare move to another location, just kinda went chips all in hoping some bucks would show up and it never happened. Saw a lot of other hunters in our general vicinity and never heard a rifle crack the entire hunt, no booms in the far distances either. Anyhow, not to be discouraging, just our observations from the exact tag you have. We still had fun.

DenverCountryBoy

I filled a doe tag in 29 last year 3rd rifle. Glassed up a small herd the night before opener and put them to bed. Got out there the next morning and got her.

IMAG0200~2.jpg

Lots of private mixed in with public. The road I had planned to drive in was gated and locked with no trespassing signs on either side. OnX confirmed that the road itself was public, so I just had an extra mile added to my hike in.

Lots of pressure, but two miles in and I was by myself.