GMU 33 Colorado

snik

FNG
Well, I thought I did not do a second choice for deer, but I guess I did unit 33, and I drew a tag. I'm debating returning the tag just because of the negative experiences many people have had with this unit. Is there anyone that has a positive experience in this unit? Thanks in advance.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2nd rifle tag for 33. Pretty much the only reason I get it is because I can draw it 2nd choice and I live in silt, so I don’t have to travel to hunt. With two small kids being gone a bunch isn’t really an option. I can hunt from the house, even half days, etc. lots of people and not many deer. But it’s better than not hunting

OP
S

snik

FNG
Good to know. I will probably still hunt it. Do my research, hike my butt off, and hope for the best!

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
2nd or 3rd season? I hunted that unit 1st season for elk last year and saw about 75 does and only 4 small bucks but wasn't really looking for deer.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
To answer your original question I would go hunt, what else are you gonna do sit on the couch and watch TV!!?? There is always a chance of running into a nice buck.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted it but I have seen pictures of a couple decent bucks that were shot there in the last two years.

Never hunted it but I have seen pictures of a couple decent bucks that were shot there in the last two years.

I hunted that unit the first year I went to Colorado. I saw one of the nicest bucks I have seen to date in that unit. I haven’t been back because of the ATVs. People were driving them everywhere. I saw one guy across a ridge ride up to a small pond and sit and hunt off the wheeler. Wasn’t even close to an allowed trail. Granted I don’t know if he had a deer or elk tag but he ran 5 elk off and the bull was a massive 6x6. (I had a deer tag.) he had no clue they were ever there. He also pulled up about 10 mins after shooting light. I could hear ATVs everywhere. Watched a couple of different guys on side by sides running from park to park and stopping at the edges to glass them. I guess they figured the noise wouldn’t scare anything off.

Not saying you shouldn’t go, but study the heck out of it and try and find a place you think it may be impossible to get an ATV cause if it’s remotely possible some moron is gonna ride one in.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I hunted that unit the first year I went to Colorado. I saw one of the nicest bucks I have seen to date in that unit. I haven’t been back because of the ATVs. People were driving them everywhere. I saw one guy across a ridge ride up to a small pond and sit and hunt off the wheeler. Wasn’t even close to an allowed trail. Granted I don’t know if he had a deer or elk tag but he ran 5 elk off and the bull was a massive 6x6. (I had a deer tag.) he had no clue they were ever there. He also pulled up about 10 mins after shooting light. I could hear ATVs everywhere. Watched a couple of different guys on side by sides running from park to park and stopping at the edges to glass them. I guess they figured the noise wouldn’t scare anything off.

Not saying you shouldn’t go, but study the heck out of it and try and find a place you think it may be impossible to get an ATV cause if it’s remotely possible some moron is gonna ride one in.

What a shame. Behavior like that would sour me on ever going back.

What a shame. Behavior like that would sour me on ever going back.

It’s exactly why I never applied for it again. It’s a beautiful area. I have exclusively hunted wilderness areas ever since for that very reason.

Now if it came down to staying home or hunting that unit, I’d probably go. Being from the south I don’t make the trip to Colorado every year for meat I just enjoy the trip.

OP
S

snik

FNG

Good to know. Looks like I'll need to do my homework.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I thought I did not do a second choice for deer, but I guess I did unit 33, and I drew a tag. I'm debating returning the tag just because of the negative experiences many people have had with this unit. Is there anyone that has a positive experience in this unit? Thanks in advance.
I’m in the same boat for 3rd season. Not sure what to think if anyone has positive for 3rd season.

OP
S

snik

FNG
I’m in the same boat for 3rd season. Not sure what to think if anyone has positive for 3rd season.
I'd definitely hunt the 3rd season. Since the season dates have been pushed pack this year. Deer should be or starting to rut during 3rd season. Should be a decent hunt if you can get away from the crowds.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Nice county ,but not good deer numbers. Hunted there 3 years ago and saw 3 deer in a weeks time frame. Saw more hunters than anything. Archery elk hunters everywhere. But like others have said hunting is better than sitting at home.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Yes there is alot of bad Atv/utv use in this unit but that's probably the case everywhere.

What I find interesting about this unit is that there are actually not that many atv/utv trails (in my opinion) that are marked on the forest service trail map guide. BUT when you look on google earth you can see tons of trails that Aren’t showing up as any “legal” trail. Very frustrating for people that want to abide by the rules. But that’s the story of life though, right?
Regardless, I’m going into this unit with my family during the third season in hopes to have a good time. And maybe get lucky and shoot a buck.
Initially I was trying to find areas without roads, but when you take into these “extra” roads, those areas become even harder to find. Oh well. Here’s to everybody and having good luck 🍺