Unit 33 NM late archery

Hey guys. Drew a Unit 33 Late Archery Tag Jan 1-15. Never hunted down in that part of New Mexico. Excited for the challenge. Looking for some feedback on the unit. How's the pressure, being so late wonder if the bucks are super skittish after all the rifle hunts. What's the size expectations..I've read alot saying its good but few and far between. How's the snakes? Are they still out down there in Jan? How's the water this year? Any general feedback would be great. Not looking for a secret spot. Just try to get familiar with the lay of the land so to speak. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Fitzwho

WKR
It’s been a little dry lately, but that area got a lot of rain all through the summer and spring.

get high and glass. Possible to see some snakes if the weather warms up, but I wouldn’t get too worried about it.

You’ll be there a month and a half after any other season and there is pretty limited pressure in that unit, even on the rifle tags. I would think you should see a few nice bucks, but getting close to them will be a bit of a chore.

OP
W
It’s been a little dry lately, but that area got a lot of rain all through the summer and spring.

get high and glass. Possible to see some snakes if the weather warms up, but I wouldn’t get too worried about it.

You’ll be there a month and a half after any other season and there is pretty limited pressure in that unit, even on the rifle tags. I would think you should see a few nice bucks, but getting close to them will be a bit of a chore.
Awesome thanks for the feedback. Yeah I know it's going to be a choir to get close..but that's nothing new so I know what I'm getting into there...alot of frustration... 😂

It says it's a rut hunt. Not sure if that will pan out giving things always change but hopefully they will be moving most of the day...

Is there good camping there or should I just stay in town?

Thanks again

Fitzwho

WKR
I would plan on truck camping as long as the weather isn’t crazy. Just to stay a little more mobile and closer to hunt areas. You’re technically close enough to some towns, but a few will have limited places to stay and for me I don’t like having to get up at 3am to drive out to my glassing spot. There’s not much of anything as far as trees go in that unit, so if it’s windy, there’s nowhere to setup a tent that’s out of the wind.

I had the 31 tag last year and stayed in Carlsbad (free spot provided by a friend), it was nice to have brick and mortar to come back to each night, but we drove over 100 miles per day getting back and forth to the spots we were actually seeing deer. For 33, you have Artesia and Roswell as choices for places to stay. You may want to plan on starting in one, driving around and finding deer then deciding to move hotels or camp depending on where you find deer. Roswell is 60 miles from the furthest east corners of that unit (as the crow flies).

OP
W
I would plan on truck camping as long as the weather isn’t crazy. Just to stay a little more mobile and closer to hunt areas. You’re technically close enough to some towns, but a few will have limited places to stay and for me I don’t like having to get up at 3am to drive out to my glassing spot. There’s not much of anything as far as trees go in that unit, so if it’s windy, there’s nowhere to setup a tent that’s out of the wind.

I had the 31 tag last year and stayed in Carlsbad (free spot provided by a friend), it was nice to have brick and mortar to come back to each night, but we drove over 100 miles per day getting back and forth to the spots we were actually seeing deer. For 33, you have Artesia and Roswell as choices for places to stay. You may want to plan on starting in one, driving around and finding deer then deciding to move hotels or camp depending on where you find deer. Roswell is 60 miles from the furthest east corners of that unit (as the crow flies).
Thanks Fitzwho! Really appreciate the feedback. Yeah I love to be mobile. So the idea of locating the deer and camping near by works for my style. I know I plan to be glassing alot and try to plan stalks or make cut offs if I can pattern at all. I know based on the topos the unit looks fairly flat. I'm assuming the dunes are the best place to get high enough.

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Dont be afraid to glass from your truck bed or truck roof if its sturdy enough. There is some topography, but it's subtle. Glassing off the Cap, legit terrain, is what many will do - but there are lots of ways to hunt that corner of NM effectively.

OP
W
Dont be afraid to glass from your truck bed or truck roof if its sturdy enough. There is some topography, but it's subtle. Glassing off the Cap, legit terrain, is what many will do - but there are lots of ways to hunt that corner of NM effectively.
That's an awesome idea! Thanks