Unit NM Elk

Just found out that I drew the Muzzleloader tag for unit 34 in New Mexico. I found the tread from last year and looks like guys did well and had fun. Anyone care to share their experiences with me? I currently live in Oregon but I am retiring next month and moving to Arizona. I will get to make at least one scouting trip plus I will show up early for the hunt. I am feeling pretty blessed right now, Thanks

Will_m

WKR
Pretty sure you can hunt the whole unit and never get out of your truck until you’re ready to chase one.

Gila

WKR
Congrats on your draw!

It’s not as easy as some would say. Your hunt is the the 5th hunt, and guaranteed the elk will be pushed back in a ways and out of the more popular areas. If you are going to pull in a RV to camp, might consider that you may find a problem finding a place to camp before the 13th. The locals put their RVs out there weeks before they hunt. They will also park near a water hole or even right in the middle of an elk meadow! Supposed to be that an RV can only be out there for 14 days and it is unlawful to park or camp within 300 yards of any water source including dry tanks for obvious reasons. My solution is that I can pull my entire wall tent camp in a trailer behind my UTV and go anywhere if I have to.

The unit has a good population of elk and the numbers have been increasing over the years. There is CWD restrictions there, so if you want to keep a wall hanger, you will need to get a local taxidermist or have F&G set-up a test. The best thing to do is to field dress and bone out the carcass before leaving the unit. The CWD restrictions do change, so I would check in the rules and info handbook or call a local taxidermist to find out what to do. I always use a UTV because some of the “roads” are just a two track dirt path with big rocks and washouts. On the flip side to be positive, there are many different habitats to hunt. High elevation to lower elevations are known to hold elk. You may be be able to hear some bugling before first light and after last light. I have not harvested an elk from there yet and I am certainly not an expert on the area. Have fun planning and scouting!

MasonfromWi

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats and as mentioned above, it’s a great unit but still not a guarantee by any means. I rifle hunter there last fall and we saw a bunch of rag horns and small 5 points but never anything that matched the tales of big bulls all over the place. Good luck!

Gila

WKR
I once saw a nice 7x7 standing along side the road after dusk. There is a lot of competition out there. I wouldn’t hold out for a 300+ but everyone has their own expectations. I am more of a meat hunter these days. My wife makes some awesome elk tamales.

OP
Desperatehills
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really enjoy traveling to new places and this will be my first year of hunting while retired. I lack the patience it takes to be a true trophy hunter. I have killed several 320 bulls that measure 280". I see that the success rates run between 50-60% so that tells me half the guys will go home empty handed.

wapitibob

WKR
I’ve hunted it a half dozen times. Bulls will be bugling, do some glassing, and get out of the truck. Most of the elk and hunters are in the center of the unit. Lots of 5’s and crab claw 6’s. It’s a cwd unit so you’ll need to cap the skull or have a local taxi do the work. The taxi will have to be located in the unit. Although the regs state “skull cap” you might call the head warden and ask about a clean skull. I’ve never tested my elk, up to you if that’s something you want to do. Page 37 in the regs for cwd info.

Last edited:

ccarter

FNG
You'll have the option of hunting lower, more open country with Pinon Junipers, or up in the timber in the higher elevations. Both types of terrain hold elk, depending on your preferred method. The unit does get a fair amount of weekend campers in the higher elevations since the weather tends to be pretty pleasant that time of year. You may not have to get too terribly far off the roads to get into elk, but you will have to work for them. It's not nosebleed alpine country, but it can be plenty steep and challenging. Good luck to you.

CCarter is spot on. Most people hunt only the high country, but don't forget about the PJ country. I've seen some very nice bulls pulled out of 34. Generally speaking, most people kill a 300 ish class bull, but a few will pull a 360-370 bull out nearly every year. They're here. Some up high, some low. Right now it's super dry, but if we get half the rain we got last year, it could be a solid hunt.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Well a buddy and I are gonna join you ! Haha. Drew the same tag. If I see Oregon plates we’ll come say hi and swap hunting stories.

OP
Desperatehills
That sounds good. We might have Arizona plates by then. We will be in a White F-350 and a outdoors RV toy hauler.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
There are plenty of elk. You will see lots of 5 points and small 6s. That's why most guys will shoot a sub 300" bull in the unit. They don't know how to stay off the release and can't pass up a lot of small bulls to find a good one. The better bulls will take some work to get to. Again, plenty of easy elk and that is what most guys will end up doing, hunting elk not too far from the roads. If you want to find a good bull, find the hardest places to access. I shot a 343" bull there last year and only actually hunted 30 mins, but had been in the unit for 2 weeks. My son shot a smaller 6x7. I almost did not shoot the bull I did because I knew I could find better and still had lots of time. Really depends on what you're after. It's a high elk population area with mediocre genetics. After hunting it, I did not apply there this year as at this point in my life I'm more into quality over quantity and will gladly hunt low elk densities for the chance at a giant. You should have a good time tho.

BTW I'm also from OR, but now live in WA.

Gila

WKR
Unit 17 the Cibola National Forest....8000 acres 30% contained. Big plume of smoke coming up when I did the ranch chores this evening.