Unit 360 Montana Cow Elk

Hello All,

I just drew a Cow elk Tag for Unit 360. This year they took Unit 360 and 362 and combind them into 1 Unit.

The unit is Huge!! Does anyone know where to start e-scouting in this unit for cow elk? I will be hunting with a rifle late Oct.

when does the Yellowstone migration usually start? Any Info would be appricated. :D:D

I only hunted the southern end twice. Both times nearly all of the elk bailed out of Beaver creek by the end of the first week onto the Sun ranch. The griz and people were a little thick. Satisfied my curiosity fairly quickly. The road was tough towing a horse trailer after snow. Lots of luck!

OP
Mountainman007
I only hunted the southern end twice. Both times nearly all of the elk bailed out of Beaver creek by the end of the first week onto the Sun ranch. The griz and people were a little thick. Satisfied my curiosity fairly quickly. The road was tough towing a horse trailer after snow. Lots of luck!
Thanks for the info.

OP
Mountainman007
General season is over, how did it go?

Montana got a really early snow fall as you know. I got to my cabin 1 day to late for the migration. Because of the early snow all the elk started migrating 3 days early, causing me to just miss the larger herds going through Gallatin Mountains. It was a bummer! I had a great time though!! You have some of the most beautiful country that I ever seen. I do know that because of the early snow fall and then the freeze the next day, drove most of the herds down from the mountains and were slaughter. I saw herds being shot on private land and rounded up and pushed into state lands like cattle. CRAZY!!

I was at a spot, and just hiked 5 miles in the mountains, was coming back and saw 6 cows heading towards me on state land, then all of a sudden boom! I saw a hunter get out of his truck in the parking lot and shoot the cow I was going to shoot. All the other cows jump into private land. The one that was shot also jump into private land as well, fortunately there was a guy who knew the owner of the property and called him. Talk about lucky!!