Unit 45 Cow Elk Tag - WYOMING

Hello - I applied for a unit 45 cow elk tag this year and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the unit? The tag only allows you to take the cow on National Forest land and I know only a portion of the unit is applicable. Plan to take one with my bow so just wondering if anyone is familiar with the National Forest land there. Will I need to go far off the trail to find elk or can I assume that I should be able to locate quickly within 1 or 2 miles?

jmez

WKR
Other than the Cloud Peak Wilderness area you won't be able to get 1 mile from an ATV trail in 45.

Bsniesse

FNG
I agree with kevinclimbs, you better look again if thats a type 6 tag. It's "off" National Forest Land.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just checked if you have got a type 6 tag you can't hunt the national forest. I actually got fined last year for this as The unit we were in opened early off national forest. But for some reason I had it in my head that the rules said it was the other way around. Thankfully we didn't kill anything but it was still a expensive fine. So make sure you triple check.
Type 6 would have been a reduced price tag.

NoWiser

WKR
I can't find any tags that only allow you to hunt on National Forest, but the Type 6 only allows you to hunt off of National Forest. If that's what you applied for, I'd wait for the draw results to worry about it. Draw odds aren't going to be much over 50%.

OP
L
I am not familiar with this tag but it reads "Cow/calf off national forest" - I assumed that means it must be killed on the forest but now that it is mentioned possibly it means you can't hunt the NF land. In that case there is not a lot of high elevation territory and I assume the elk are sitting no lower than 8000 ft during archery.

I am not familiar with this tag but it reads "Cow/calf off national forest" - I assumed that means it must be killed on the forest but now that it is mentioned possibly it means you can't hunt the NF land. In that case there is not a lot of high elevation territory and I assume the elk are sitting no lower than 8000 ft during archery.

Off national forest means you cannot hunt national forest with that tag. I find that tag is more for landowners but don’t give up. You still may find an elk. Just because it’s not forest doesn’t mean it’s not a forest. I will say archery will probably not be very easy. I camp that unit all the time but will have to look at the map to see what isn’t forest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's exactly what it means I assumed the same thing last year and got a 800 ticket. Warden did admit it is poor wording and confusing. He actually took that into account and got our tickets reduced.

johnsd16

WKR
Wow. I feel bad for the OP and the other guy but spend few hundred $$ on a tag, drive a long way, camp/lodging and all that without knowing what restrictions apply to the tag you have or put in for? I get the common phrase “I got this buck off that ranch over by the river”, meaning off the ranch is where you “took it off” but when the regs say “off NF” that to me clearly means off, an in not on NF. The reason those cow tags in some of the bighorn units are so easy to draw is because there is very little access off NF. You have pretty good odds of drawing that tag, over 50%. Best of luck.

The worst part is I'm the guy that reads the book front to back but for some reason I had it mixed up in my head. Still had a good hunt and won't forget it anytime soon. He didn't take our tags and we had tags in another unit so we still came home with elk. Even the warden admitted they should use the term closed instead of off.

wytx

WKR
Remember off national forest does allow hunting on the BLM and state lands in that area.
"Off "means stay off the national forest.

Coming from an out of stater (Mississippi) is there any place that list out where Grizzly Bears are currently in Wyoming. Not real fired up about hunting an area with them...

There is a lot of BLM land in Wyoming Elk Hunt Area 45 that will have elk during the archery season. The Type 9 license (archery only during the month of Sept.) in this area is a high demand license and there are some good bulls that are taken on the BLM land. Those bulls would not be on that BLM land if there were no cows down there.

If a hunter draws this elk hunt area they should have a good elk hunt; archery or rifle.

ClearCreek