Unit 58 Idaho buck hunt

Hello long time lurker here,

I’ll be taking my old man and brother to unit 58 in hopes of getting my old man on a buck. Anyone have any tips for the area? Been looking around and haven’t seen much. Should we try our luck on the east or west side of 28? Any information is much appreciated.

OP
C
How did your hunt go? I have a unit 58 tag this year.
Hey man.

We ate our tags. We saw in total three does during our time there. It is such a beautiful unit that looks like an area that would hold deer. I honestly couldn’t believe the lack of deer.

We hunted both sides of the highway, and focused on the northern half of the unit.

If you have the chance still I would try to switch units. It’s a bummer how Idaho is handling out of state tags, and making you stick to one unit.

Wish I had better news for you lol

How did your hunt go? I have a unit 58 tag this year.
How about for you? Did you have any luck? I pulled this for the first time this year. Seems like everyone says the same thing about it. Low deer densities. Fish and Games said that although the densities are low, the potential is there to see larger bucks. Let me know! @Mike8989

OP
C
How about for you? Did you have any luck? I pulled this for the first time this year. Seems like everyone says the same thing about it. Low deer densities. Fish and Games said that although the densities are low, the potential is there to see larger bucks. Let me know! @Mike8989
I know you’re asking Mike, but good luck on your hunt. We hunted our asses off and couldn’t get on anything. I don’t really believe Idaho fish and game harvest rates on the unit.

No worries man. I appreciate the comment. From what I’ve heard the densities are low. The biologist knew the unit well, but I don’t think he gave me the age class they manage for. He did tell me that there were larger bucks, and if I saw one, I had a good probability of seeing a larger one.

You said you hunted the north country towards the unit boundary?

Mike8989

FNG
I haven't hunted it yet. I will be there in October. I will be headed out there to scout this coming up weekend.

I've always had great hope that this unit will begin to see an incline in deer population, but my hopes are shattered year in and year out. I spent several days at the end of August in the best looking mulie country staring at the basins surrounding most of the high peaks on the western side of the unit helping a friend scout for sheep. In 6 days I spotted 8 deer. It is disgusting to me that Idaho F&G has let the mulies dwindle to the point that a recovery is nearly impossible. Wide open archery and otc rifle hunting in a unit that cannot support any harvest. It's civil malfeasance at a minimum. The mountain goats outnumber the mulies, and there's not many of either.

Baddog

WKR
I've always had great hope that this unit will begin to see an incline in deer population, but my hopes are shattered year in and year out. I spent several days at the end of August in the best looking mulie country staring at the basins surrounding most of the high peaks on the western side of the unit helping a friend scout for sheep. In 6 days I spotted 8 deer. It is disgusting to me that Idaho F&G has let the mulies dwindle to the point that a recovery is nearly impossible. Wide open archery and otc rifle hunting in a unit that cannot support any harvest. It's civil malfeasance at a minimum. The mountain goats outnumber the mulies, and there's not many of either.
Was there a fair number of deer there 10 or 20 years ago? I don’t know that’s why I’m asking or is there just something about the area that keeps the deer numbers low?

Mike8989

FNG
Did you see any bears while you were up there?

Was there a fair number of deer there 10 or 20 years ago? I don’t know that’s why I’m asking or is there just something about the area that keeps the deer numbers low?
20 years ago the deer were thick, 15-20 in every canyon and nice bachelor groups of bucks up high.

@Mike8989 Im headed up there solo towards the end of Oct to actually hunt. Itll be somewhere between the 17th and 24th or Oct. Let me know how your scouting goes this weekend. Im hoping to get up first week of season to do some scouting of the country and maybe hunt a little for a day or so. Id love to compare notes with you, or even meet up and hunt if your interested.

Mike8989

FNG
@Mike8989 Im headed up there solo towards the end of Oct to actually hunt. Itll be somewhere between the 17th and 24th or Oct. Let me know how your scouting goes this weekend. Im hoping to get up first week of season to do some scouting of the country and maybe hunt a little for a day or so. Id love to compare notes with you, or even meet up and hunt if your interested.
Sounds good pm me your number I’ll let you no what I find this weekend. I’ll be there for opening day as well.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04