Unit 68 Oregon Mule Deer

rtoreson

FNG
Just looking for a little info on a upcoming rifle hunt this fall. Has anyone spent time south of Jordan Valley hunting mule deer. Just curious about the terrain and deer numbers in that area. It looks intriguing on google earth but I've never set foot in that area. Thanks!!!

Tmac

WKR
Trout Creek part of the unit or Whitehorse portion outside of Troutcreek Area? Which season?

It’s remote rugged country. Bring some basic vehicle recovery gear, extra tires, water and gas. If solo, a satellite communicator may be a good idea if you are going in deep. In places that country eats tire’s. 10 ply with a lot of tread left is a minimum. The heavier the rig, the more ply rating I‘d run. It’s usually dry, but have seen it otherwise. Depending on your season, it could be hot too. Lots of area, relatively low deer numbers and they tend to be scattered. There are some very large bucks in there, but they are few, rarely seen or taken, unless one is very lucky or has vg knowledge of the unit.

OP
R

rtoreson

FNG
Thx for the info Tmac. The tag is the regular rifle season opening at the beginning of October. It is for the Whitehorse unit and does not include the Trout Creek sub unit. I’ve heard the deer density is low and I’ve already been doing a little homework. That area south of Jordan valley looks like it should have feed and water is around.

Tmac

WKR
There is water S of JV for sure, as well as scattered through out much of the unit. A good number of creeks, small and large, carve up much of the unit south and SE of JV. It was a very wet May in that basin. I’ve not checked there for June, but June was wet where I will hunt in the NE this season. If it says wet, there will be good feed and lots of water, which may disperse game and possibly complicate finding them.

I really like the SE corner and enjoy my time there, but it’s not for everybody. One thing that has helped me there is paying very close attention to what vegetation is present where I find deer, then use that to help find more pockets that hold deer. In normal years it is pockets of deer here and there. A very wet year could change that, no idea, as I’ve never experienced a wet hunting season there the years I drew. That said, it does not take that country long to dry out. Good luck.

Porfilync

FNG
I've hunted down there for for the last few seasons and had good success. The best tips I have are that there is more water (in ponds and cattle water troughs) down there than you think. If you find a good spot to glass be patient. If you dont see deer or a buck you want dont be afraid to go back and glass the same spot multiple days because the deer move around ALOT! Feel free to PM me if you want more info, I've spent quite a bit of time down there.