Unit 700 Musselshell Breaks road conditions

workethic

FNG
I am looking for information on how the roads are around the Musselshell breaks in the later part of november. My dad, brother and I will be headed to that area to hunt and as my brother works in the seed business he cant make it out unless it is before Sept 15th or after November 15th.
We dont plan on doing too much driving just up to the musselshell breaks then start walking, but I have experienced wet september roads north east of the breaks and can only think it would be worse in the breaks themselves in november. I havent been to this area before and dont really know what to expect as far as road conditions and weather. We will be hunting mule deer and I may put in for a cow elk tag, but I dont even know where to start looking for elk there, so I may just skip that tag. Anyone have experience on these roads in november? Thank you very much for the help. If you dont want to reply on here feel free to PM me.
P.s.
I will not be able to make the september date work as I have a hunt in colorado planned. We are set on november. I am also not worried about the cold, I am a square head norwegian from minnesota :)

S.Clancy

WKR
Last year roads were impassable for weeks. I've seen that other years as well. It's really a crapshoot, if there is moisture, you ain't driving.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Question is--

If moisture hits while you're there can you actually get out?

Basically, but we plan on sleeping in my modified enclosed trailer, so we will more than likely not take that up to the breaks as I dont want to risk that situation. Fullsize pickup with a 14x7 enclosed tandem axle trailer is not ideal for gumbo lol. We would rather walk a lot everyday from the road rather than pack in camp and hardly be able to walk in the breaks then maybe get back to the truck and see if it is even possible to drive out.

Hey man I hunted in there this past season in November. I had rented a truck (F150) in Billings. That being said I would not go back in there without a 3/4 ton truck or a 1/2 ton with some serious tires on it.
It was snowing sideways when I went in so I didnt have any problems then. But when I left, it had warmed up enough that the roads were a mess. My truck slid off an embankment. I thought I was screwed. Ended up getting out of there with some luck but blew a tire out in the process. Anyways, had to drive another 30 min on flat tire bc there was no way in hell I would be able to change it until I got out on better roads. Thank goodness I got the insurance at Enterprise.

Mt Al

WKR
As previously written, it just depends on the moisture and weather. Can't be predicted, so just come out and give it a whirl. If it's terrible, bring shotguns and find some bird hunting on public ground near paved roads - trip not lost!

S.Clancy

WKR
Question is--

If moisture hits while you're there can you actually get out?
Yes, with skill and no regard for your vehicle. Years ago, we were hunting with horses in that area. The first 5 days were cold with snow, about 8-10" total. The 6th day, it all of a sudden got really warm, by 11 am we knew we were in trouble and bailed to the truck and trailer. 2 of us rode and trailed the 4 horses 6 miles to the nearest "decent" road while my dad chained up all four tires on the diesel and drug the trailer out. The lasting image i have of that day is a 25+' gooseneck horse trailer whipping around behind the Ford and smashing into a hill at a turn in the road. Somehow we made it all the way out, but it got western.

I was on this road last year after the warm up. It was western in a side by side, no way I would have been able to drive my truck on them. Even the residents weren’t driving the roads at all. I talked to a local at his ranch way back in there and asked him what he does when it rains or snows and warms up. His response was simple- we don’t go anywhere. I asked him what’s the longest he’s been stuck in there. He said 14 days and on day 15 he went out against his wife’s recommendation. He said he barely made it out and agreed with his wife. The mud is hard to describe until you’ve experienced it.

Okhotnik

WKR
Basically, but we plan on sleeping in my modified enclosed trailer, so we will more than likely not take that up to the breaks as I dont want to risk that situation. Fullsize pickup with a 14x7 enclosed tandem axle trailer is not ideal for gumbo lol. We would rather walk a lot everyday from the road rather than pack in camp and hardly be able to walk in the breaks then maybe get back to the truck and see if it is even possible to drive out.

I would not take a trailer up into the breaks!!! It should be frozen latter half of November but I hunt not too far from that area and it can be in 60 's and melting snow ( bad) or in the teens ( good). Plus 40 mph winds not uncommon in Nov. Its a crap shoot so be prepared. Chains do help some but can still get stuck with them. . Bring tow straps and boards. If roads are wet don't go in. If roads are frozen in the morning pay attention to temps and get out if temps are rising.

S.Clancy

WKR
2 years ago Thanksgiving Day it was 72 degrees. If it rains in there, remember the law of momentum, mass x velocity. Focus on velocity.

Wapiti1

WKR
A couple of times I had to drive out around 2am after the roads froze again. Even when it is cold out the sun will melt the top layer and they are slick as snot.

I've also spent a bunch of extra days fishing in the Slippery Ann area due to rain. Hard to get any velocity when all your tires do is spin at the bottom of the hill out.

Jeremy

OP
W

workethic

FNG
after reading all these I think the river is a more reliable avenue of transportation. Thank you everyone for these. It really gives me an idea of what to plan ahead for. Again thank you all!

OP
W

workethic

FNG
That river you speak of is a lake and can get just as wicked as those gumbo roads.

thanks for the info! I was meaning the Musselshell river though. I feel more comfortable on water than most and water is a bit more predictable... usually.

Wapiti1

WKR
The Musselshell isn't a floatable river by the fall. The water level will be very low. It's also mostly surrounded by private land until you get to the UL bend. I don't see how that would gain you any access that you couldn't get to one a good gravel road.

Jeremy

OP
W

workethic

FNG
The Musselshell isn't a floatable river by the fall. The water level will be very low. It's also mostly surrounded by private land until you get to the UL bend. I don't see how that would gain you any access that you couldn't get to one a good gravel road.

Jeremy
Well dang... thank you for the info

Mt Al

WKR
Well dang... thank you for the info

Yeah, what Wapiti1 said about the Muscleshell. You can almost walk it that time of year. Still, you can see in all the replies that people go there a lot and so can you, preferably without a trailer. It can get ugly, sure, but chances are you'll be fine. Just look at the conditions and weather forecast. If it's going to be below freezing and cloudy, good to go. If it's been warm and looks like it will stay that way, good to go. Note that it can be cold, but then sunny, then the top layer of the evil gumbo melts (like the guy wrote above) and makes things crappy. Otherwise, just be ready to head to high ground/paved roads if things start to turn. Even if you stay on paved and hunt adjoining public land you can't not have a great time out there. You can do this.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Yeah, what Wapiti1 said about the Muscleshell. You can almost walk it that time of year. Still, you can see in all the replies that people go there a lot and so can you, preferably without a trailer. It can get ugly, sure, but chances are you'll be fine. Just look at the conditions and weather forecast. If it's going to be below freezing and cloudy, good to go. If it's been warm and looks like it will stay that way, good to go. Note that it can be cold, but then sunny, then the top layer of the evil gumbo melts (like the guy wrote above) and makes things crappy. Otherwise, just be ready to head to high ground/paved roads if things start to turn. Even if you stay on paved and hunt adjoining public land you can't not have a great time out there. You can do this.
Thank you for the reply. I don’t plan on over thinking it, but I do plan and prepare then I work with what Mother Nature will allow me to do. I agree that there isn’t a way I won’t have a great time. I’m also a believer that a great story/hunt needs to have some blood,sweat, failure and disappointment. Being from very rural mn I’m no slouch on poor driving conditions, but I have to say, our dirt is better here lol. I’m not discouraged by the information given to me whatsoever. Thank you for the vote of confidence!