Unit 76 CO elk

Hi, I have been lurking on the forum for ages (since 2013), but am not one to gossip about my units, and am generally just doing research. I am a Colorado native, who has been hunting assorted Gunnison Basin units for 20+ years, with a number of archery, muzzleloader and rifle elk under my belt. I generally hunt 2nd and 3rd choice draw or OTC archery. I have 9 points this year, and have a chance of drawing a 7 6 Muzzleloader tag this year. (I hope...). I have 4-5 potential areas that I am e-scouting right now, but with 2 little kids, the chance of more than 1 good scouting trip this summer is going to be tough. I am going to head up 2-3 days before season to locate some herds in whatever area I decide on. I am going to be solo backpacking (mobile camp, hunt off my back) with possibly a friend calling for me depending on his draw results... I am planning on ridge running above tree-line to glass drainages and bottom land. Wilderness only to avoid the ATVs. Plenty of meat in the freezer, so I'm hoping to put a 310-320ish bull down, willing to glass a lot of animals before I put one down. I am not afraid of pulling one out from in deep, hiked out my buddies first bull from 9 miles back and 5000' above the trucks last year. I am just looking for general feedback from people who have hunted/ scouted this unit (areas to avoid, areas used by outfitter camps, feedback on the areas I'm looking at, areas that others might be willing to share some beta on). I can trade info on various Gunnison basin units, but won't post them in a thread. Please PM me so we can chat if anyone can help out. Thanks!

It looks like last year it took minimum 10 points for residents to draw 76 Muzzleloader? You might draw with 9 if less people apply this year, but with the way things are trending it will probably be more.

OP
SoloWilderness
Yah I saw it was 10, guess I decided to gamble on it, but I'm going back and forth on whether I want to switch to 1st rifle, which should be a 100% chance, or to archery. It looks like its about a 25% chance at 9 if only the people who didn't get it last year with 9 apply, but that seems unlikely. Point creep is freaking me out, I was saving for the early rifle tag, but the massive jump it took left me in the dust. Last thing I want is for it to take a big jump across the board and miss out, its a bucket list hunt.

Last edited:

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Well what did you end up putting in for. Archery, muzzleloader or 1st rifle?

I am also cashing in points for area 76 archery. Going to spend a week in late June doing recon on the area. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I am also cashing in points for area 76 archery. Going to spend a week in late June doing recon on the area. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late June might be a mite early for scouting the high country. I went in late July and I still could find snow. (And elk were bedded in snowbanks!)

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Late June might be a mite early for scouting the high country. I went in late July and I still could find snow. (And elk were bedded in snowbanks!)
Not much snow this year. Really only the north sides now. But I agree, great time of the year just to get out and do some initial spot finding.

OP
SoloWilderness
Well what did you end up putting in for. Archery, muzzleloader or 1st rifle?
I ended up putting in for ML, if I draw I plan on getting there 2 days early to get into the back country and locate opening day bulls to hunt. With 2 kids under the age of 4, hunting more than a 10 day stretch is a challenge if I want to stay married, so the most I would gain would be the opening weekend hunting archery. Ok with not drawing this year, as I put in for a ML buck tag that has better odds, and gets me into the unit for a season to scout if I draw it. 10 points next year gets me good odds on the ML tag, and puts me slightly ahead of the curve for archery, so I can hopefully stay ahead of the point creep. If ML jumps out of reach next year I will go archery, and hope that the kids being past the screaming and throwing food stage gets me a 14 day hunt + opening weekend 4 day... 1st rifle is my back up plan for the next couple years if some freakish point jump occurs that puts archery/ ML out of reach.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
That all sounds like a great plan. I’m in the same boat with the kids. If I’m gone more then 7 days I think my wife would strangle my two little boys!!!

bow_hiker

FNG
Solowilderness, I got 2 kids (4 and 6) and drew an archery tag this year. I might be divorced since I got the first 12 days of season and the last 5 to go in there. Got some scouting in so if you want to compare notes let me know.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a landowner tag in there for 1st rifle back in 2013 before LO tags went absolutely mental. It was a good hunt. Saw elk everywhere. Scouting trip on labor day weekend bugled up a nice 6 point bull that came running in to a road with me standing next to the truck. Blew my mind. Little less active in 1st rifle but still shot a smallish 280 290 six point, saw a couple bigger but couldn't make the shot happen. Good luck! I have some stale info but I imagine they hang out in the same areas. Unless I win the lotto will probably not hunt there again. Definitely not gonna try and get 30 non res pp's and plan on a hunt in my 70s.