Unit 79 Wyoming Antelop - Archery

Has anyone hunted this before? The Wyoming harvest results show a 66% success rate with 13 average days hunted. That is much too long to be right. Has anyone seen the area and know if there are high amounts of antelope?

rfertig

FNG
I'm not sure why you think that's too long to be right. The days per harvest on average (for all weapons) runs about 3.2. Area 79 is right in line with this number at 3.0. So it at looks like it's at least as good as average. Also, unless you have prescouted and setup a blind over water, I don't think 13 days sounds excessive. I bowhunted antelope for nearly 10 years before I finally connected on one (with a rifle my average time/harvest was probably ~5 hours). Bottome line: unless you're hunting over water, antelope can be very difficult to connect on with a bow, so 13 days seems very reasonable to me.

Jason Stafford

Lil-Rokslider
It is a big unit with low antelope numbers. It used to be a quality hunt when the area was archery only but the last couple of years they have offered a rifle hunt after the archery season.

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
It is a big unit with low antelope numbers. It used to be a quality hunt when the area was archery only but the last couple of years they have offered a rifle hunt after the archery season.
Couldn't agree more. Its actually much worse the rifle season is the last 10 days of the archery season. archery aug-15- sep. 30 / rifle sep. 20-30.