Unit 80/81 draw unit now. Need insight.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
No leftovers. There were 2000 tags issued, around 67% of NR and Res drew it as 2nd choice.

Bet it feels more crowded this year since these hunters have to stay in 80/81 and can’t just head out for another unit.
WTF I had it for first choice Res and didnt draw...

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like there was an error with the group app. Shows 339 res applied 1st choice and all got their tags

Bet these guys that threw out some high points to draw the tag are shaking their head since they had a chance to draw it 2nd choice!
624DE5E1-E303-4E9E-9F0D-89C9A121EF04.png

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like there was an error with the group app. Shows 339 res applied 1st choice and all got their tags

Bet these guys that threw out some high points to draw the tag are shaking their head since they had a chance to draw it 2nd choice!
View attachment 424015
Did one guy really burn 20 points on this unit?

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah! Hopefully, for his sake, it was a mistake and returns it to restore his points!

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I had it as Second choice and got zip. Got a point for my trouble.
Wait what was your first choice? 2nd choice I know will not take a point, but I also figured it wouldn't give a point. I'm sure there is secondary draw for the tags that were surrendered.

sndmn11

WKR
Wait what was your first choice? 2nd choice I know will not take a point, but I also figured it wouldn't give a point. I'm sure there is secondary draw for the tags that were surrendered.

Being unsuccessful with any first choice hunt code in the primary draw results in an additional preference point.

craig623

FNG
Hi @DanFrost , I drew a tag for elk archery in 80/81. Do you have any advice? I've never been out to the GMU. I've heard its pressured and elk stay far from any trails. Other than that I'm not sure where to begin.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Hi @DanFrost , I drew a tag for elk archery in 80/81. Do you have any advice? I've never been out to the GMU. I've heard its pressured and elk stay far from any trails. Other than that I'm not sure where to begin.
I've hunted this united for a good bit since 2008 off and on. My advice is to really E-Scout the area. Some years I've seen the trail-head's packed, but other years I still find my self feeling like I'm the only one in the woods. I don't care what anyone says, this unit has plenty of elk and deer. You have to work hard, but you can find them. Of course my buddy last year ran into 16 hunters after being dropped 2 mils back in tobacco lake area. He's hunted the unit since the 90s. So have A, B, C, D plan. I've seen elk early and late Sept. Few years back I was in the elk the 3rd week of Sept after muzzle and heavy pressure. Shot at bull and didn't find him. Had elk bugling relatively close to where we were. We left thinking we could find better. We found trail heads after trail head packed full. On the other hand my brother shot a 5x5 opening day of August one year. Anyhow, I surrendered my elk tag this year and kept my mule deer tag. I will be above the alpine level over looking some bowls and trying to find a deer. Good luck to you.

craig623

FNG
I've hunted this united for a good bit since 2008 off and on. My advice is to really E-Scout the area. Some years I've seen the trail-head's packed, but other years I still find my self feeling like I'm the only one in the woods. I don't care what anyone says, this unit has plenty of elk and deer. You have to work hard, but you can find them. Of course my buddy last year ran into 16 hunters after being dropped 2 mils back in tobacco lake area. He's hunted the unit since the 90s. So have A, B, C, D plan. I've seen elk early and late Sept. Few years back I was in the elk the 3rd week of Sept after muzzle and heavy pressure. Shot at bull and didn't find him. Had elk bugling relatively close to where we were. We left thinking we could find better. We found trail heads after trail head packed full. On the other hand my brother shot a 5x5 opening day of August one year. Anyhow, I surrendered my elk tag this year and kept my mule deer tag. I will be above the alpine level over looking some bowls and trying to find a deer. Good luck to you.
thanks Dan. I appreciate your response. Good luck to you as well.