Unit 9 Wyoming

I am intending to go to unit 9 next year in Wyoming for rifle opener on a 10k private parcel. This last year it looked like I could get a rifle buck tag with a second choice special app as a NR. This year it is a 10% chance, meaning to guarantee a tag I need to burn my 4 points. It seems to me to be a waste of 4pts to use on what was a 0pt draw until this year, but it is a pretty big piece of private. Has anyone been around unit 9 towards the western half? Speaking with the local biologist he said a ''big buck'' was around 14-15'' in that area.

EdP

WKR
In the 2021 NR Special Random draw for HA 9 the quota was 25 with 19 1st choice applicants, so you were sure to get an "any antelope" tag if you were willing to pay the extra to be "special." I agree about not burning 4 pts on HA 9 but don't understand why are you saying 10% chance "this year."

In the 2021 NR Special Random draw for HA 9 the quota was 25 with 19 1st choice applicants, so you were sure to get an "any antelope" tag if you were willing to pay the extra to be "special." I agree about not burning 4 pts on HA 9 but don't understand why are you saying 10% chance "this year."
There was about a 10% chance of draw a tag as 2nd choice in the special random. 6 tags went to 2nd choice.

PM sent page

EdP

WKR
There was about a 10% chance of draw a tag as 2nd choice in the special random. 6 tags went to 2nd choice.

OK, 6 tags went to 59 2nd choice applicants, so 10%, but that doesn't mean he has to burn 4 pts to get a tag. He could go 1st choice and save his points.

OP
Page Master
OK, 6 tags went to 59 2nd choice applicants, so 10%, but that doesn't mean he has to burn 4 pts to get a tag. He could go 1st choice and save his points.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that. Yeah to ''guarantee'' a tag I'd have to burn my points which I am not inclined to at this point.

EdP

WKR
Page, you were perfectly clear. I was mistaken in thinking that you would not lose your points unless you applied for the PP draw. Wy G&F puts every applicant in the PP draw whether they have points or not, so there is no way to avoid using your points if you draw 1st choice. I am very glad to have learned that.

OP
Page Master
Page, you were perfectly clear. I was mistaken in thinking that you would not lose your points unless you applied for the PP draw. Wy G&F puts every applicant in the PP draw whether they have points or not, so there is no way to avoid using your points if you draw 1st choice. I am very glad to have learned that.

Hell yeah brother, yeah I would be pissed if I applied for a 0-1pt unit for a private land hunt and it burned my 4+ points lol

KP20129

FNG
I hunted that unit with a friend this year and doubt you will see 14-15 inch even on private. Gamewarden said predators and winter kill have really knocked down the numbers. My buddy got a nice 12.5 and that was biggest we saw all week.