Unit Eight AZ Camping

I was lucky enough to draw an Early Bull tag for this unit. Unfortunately with COVID and other factors I will not be able to put boots to ground before the season and will be going in blind. Obviously there are numerous places to camp but was wondering if anyone had any insight as to a good "out of the way" type of area. I will be camping in a tent, so no camper or elaborate setup. From research I understand this is a pretty popular area for camping and recreation and just want to avoid the late night drinking crowd. Thank you for any recommendations.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
It can get packed there with campers all over. Get into areas/ on roads that people have a hard time pulling a trailer and aren’t comfortable taking their family vehicles onto

The best way to escape people in unit eight is to camp in the transitional areas. The pines will be PACKED. Also the rougher the road, the less people. Junipers north of Drake out to the north west parts of the unit hold good #'s of elk and usually have less people.

BBob

WKR
I've hunted that unit many times on the early archery hunt. I'd say plan on having a mobile camp and don't get stuck on one area. As previous reply's have said that unit is busy. Trailers, campers, RV's all over the place on top in the pines where it's easy walking. People will be running their quads and side by sides all over too. You can find areas in the pines to camp and hunt but you'll have to find the fringes and pockets. Off the rim gets less crowded but some ares in the junipers can be super busy and competitive. Part of the problem is it's getting more common to find 5-10 helpers for a hunter which makes it crazy. You can still find areas where you'll be alone and can kill if you're persistent and work at it. PM me if you'd like more specifics.

Last edited:
OP
Arbutusbucks
Thank you very much to those that replied. Seems like I'll need to find a rough road if I want to try to get away from folks and just stay mobile.