Unknown Munitions for the 270 WSM

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I trust your judgement.

Let’s go with the 66.9

Load up that other 20 new brass at your convenience and send them this way (with any special instructions) and I’ll get that group test done.

Thanks Jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We will have your seating depth ladder loaded up today and going out tomorrow Robby, thank you.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
5eef5b339f2faca505fe473bbc0f34e2.jpg

Received @Unknown Munitions !

My question is what do you mean by “Record 3-shot + 5-shot group sizes”?

I’m guessing I’m supposed to record size of 3-shot group then shoot 2 more shots into the group and remeasure—yes? No?

How much time do you want between groups? (Carbon barrel).

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
5eef5b339f2faca505fe473bbc0f34e2.jpg

Received @Unknown Munitions !

My question is what do you mean by “Record 3-shot + 5-shot group sizes”?

I’m guessing I’m supposed to record size of 3-shot group then shoot 2 more shots into the group and remeasure—yes? No?

How much time do you want between groups? (Carbon barrel).

Hey Robby, it would be best to shoot the 5 shots in a row while staying in the rifle and then mark the shots locally. I like to draw a target diagram on a paper while looking through my spotting scope after shooting the group and just mark shot positions with numbers. Barrel should be allowed to cool in between 5 shot strings please. Looking forward to seeing your results 💪🏻

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robby, it would be best to shoot the 5 shots in a row while staying in the rifle and then mark the shots locally. I like to draw a target diagram on a paper while looking through my spotting scope after shooting the group and just mark shot positions with numbers. Barrel should be allowed to cool in between 5 shot strings please. Looking forward to seeing your results 💪🏻
Just what I needed. Headed out now.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
0e1c8a838f0a90b632f709983842233e.jpg

OK I’m all set up. I’ll try to post as I shoot here if the service holds up.

For everybody just tuning in, we’re shooting from our tallest, which will be closest to the lands, to our shortest which will be the furthest. Jake has them marked as 2.220 to 2.100. You can see the difference in height in the picture
841b2e083b7d3bc175393ff5f45475a4.jpg

To note, I checked and my tallest load Is not coming into contact with lands.

From the bench I have my notepad open and I mark the shots as I shoot them so that I can accurately note them on the actual target. Like this
b30fb295d6a3e1d5b94590443f1b3ecc.jpg

Here is 2.220
6252f12adcccaaf056ccb5d579655900.jpg

Here is 2.200
490b978bd484212aea380556f6553414.jpg

Here is 2.180
5170ea1da8c86a034a650b62821ea329.jpg

Here is 2.160
36b0f5f817a245d4ec86ba39bc97eebc.jpg

Here is 2.140
391ed7eaa46ceb0d99aee0a9ea7d5f53.jpg

Here is 2.120
f464b0729a5b4358b09757d7a001ddfa.jpg

Here is 2.100
e146a2d1daee50fffdd0f35cfd37cf6e.jpg

OK that’s a wrap. If you’re on here the whole time I was uploading that, might have to hit refresh to see all seven groups.

My take away is that this first three shots were all pretty good, it was usually four and five that spread the group out.

Can’t wait to hear what Jake says.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Fascinating. Is it normal to go from vertical groups to horizontal groups just with seating length? I’ve never done all this scientific ladder stuff and seating depths. By the time I’ve gone thru different powders and charges up to max at a certain depth one is usually shooting good enough for me.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Robby. Are you guys more worried about the groups or are you focusing more on which does the best with velocity spread? In my experience, I’ve gotten caught chasing the absolute tightest groups while not paying close enough attention to my maximum velocity spread. On longer range shots, I’ve found that the spread has actually made me more accurate than chasing the best “group” at 200 yards. Thoughts?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby. Are you guys more worried about the groups or are you focusing more on which does the best with velocity spread? In my experience, I’ve gotten caught chasing the absolute tightest groups while not paying close enough attention to my maximum velocity spread. On longer range shots, I’ve found that the spread has actually made me more accurate than chasing the best “group” at 200 yards. Thoughts?

Yes, we started with the extreme spread and standard deviation to get it as low as possible. For today we’re just checking final groups with the load that gave us the best ES and SD numbers.

I think everything is posted above a few weeks back if you want to go through that. Pay particular attention to the graphs that Jacob put up. To me that was when I begin to understand what we were looking for.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Fascinating. Is it normal to go from vertical groups to horizontal groups just with seating length? I’ve never done all this scientific ladder stuff and seating depths. By the time I’ve gone thru different powders and charges up to max at a certain depth one is usually shooting good enough for me.

Yeah fascinating to me too. That will be a question for Jacob to answer once he jumps on here. Thanks for tuning in Steve

Robby
Did you chrony them? Also where is 2.100? From the looks of that I’d run a smaller test between 2.140-2.110 or 2.100 depending on what your initial 2.100 looks like. My guess is 2.130 will be about perfect.
Looking at groups the least vertical spread is what I like.

It’s very normal for a group to go from vertical to horizontal when you find the optimum powder and seating depth nodes. The barrel is essentially at a very minute resting spot before it begins to whip back down or up.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby
Did you chrony them? Also where is 2.100? From the looks of that I’d run a smaller test between 2.140-2.110 or 2.100 depending on what your initial 2.100 looks like. My guess is 2.130 will be about perfect.
Looking at groups the least vertical spread is what I like.

Hi, I can see 2.100. It’s the last picture in the post. Try refreshing your screen.

Yes we ran them through the chronograph a few weeks ago before we started with this group testing. Just go back up the forum and you’ll see where Jacob put all those numbers into a graph. Hope that answers it

Good shooting Robby!
I see 2.100 now. I’d run a finer seating depth test from 2.140-2.110 probably in .05 increments and I’m sure you will find that perfect node!
Let’s see what Jake has to say.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think what they are getting at Robby is, a lot of guys also chronograph the seating depth ladder as well. Everyone does it different, but as long as you get a gun that shoots MOA or better, you should be dialed.

OK I understand. Yeah he just wanted the chronograph numbers to find the lowest ES and SD.

Yeah it’s definitely shooting MOA if you count shots one through three, a lot of those loads hit that.

I did an inventory in my head when I was at the range and I have not shot more than three shots consecutively at a deer since 2008, So I’ve only ever shot three shot group anyways. The Jacob requested the five shots so that’s what I did. Can’t wait to see what he says about all this.

And for everybody on this thread who’s new, my gun only weighs about 7 lbs. 10 oz., so it has its limitations on how steady I can get. On a calm day, I can see my heart beating in the scope. Oh, and by the way my scope only goes up to 10 power.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good shooting Robby!
I see 2.100 now. I’d run a finer seating depth test from 2.140-2.110 probably in .05 increments and I’m sure you will find that perfect node!
Let’s see what Jake has to say.

Thanks man. Very curious if he’ll have me tune more or call it good. I’m ok with either.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve found ES and SD to change with seating depth changes. I usually chrono all the way through until I find the perfect load, this can take 10rd for each though and probably isn’t a practical way to do this for having someone else develop for you.