Unknown Munitions for the 270 WSM

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man he has helped me a lot on reloading. Like you Robby, I have been reloading most of my life ( im not near as OLD as you though) but its been 20+ years or so. Jake has definitely upped my game (and lowered my bank account).

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
all this just landed so I’m getting ready to restart this process.

Thanks @Ryan Avery and @Unknown Munitions

942e987e0836be409f1191ddadd04afc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Definitely need a new chrony Robby! Looks like some misreads for sure. Look at load 4 for an example. I’ve never witnessed a jump of 100fps especially with the quality components in the loads you were shooting. The first 2 shots look more what I’d expect.
Jake
This seems more of an OCW test than a ladder though?
I call everything a ladder that goes from smallest to biggest or shortest to tallest 🤣🤣

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
71af36b72feb1727ac1542930f9047f2.jpg

afb6c24164df229ae7fed3a29fa23a9a.jpg

82f1cd31a0063ec7a00a239d812193b0.jpg

OK I’m set up and ready to rock.

Following the advice laid out earlier, I’ve got the Magneto Speed chronograph set up and I’m gonna run it against the Chrony chronograph.

Will compare results between the two, and also have another set of data points for Jake to go over.

I’m also single feeding this time rather than running them from the magazine. These short mags feed rough due to steep shoulders, and sometimes rough feeders change your COAL. Jake said we want to eliminate any variables that we can, so I obey.

We’re ignoring groups this go round as the Magneto Speed changes the barrel harmonics obviously

I’ll post results later.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
884399553bc4e1c91a168a32612c5132.jpg

Above is today’s load data.

It’s busy as I’m using two Chronographs as has been suggested.

Lots of numbers to digest.

The Chrony numbers could be compared to those in post #49 above, BUT remember that I didn’t single feed those, like I did with today’s test.

A few notes:

The Magneto Speed threw two errors in two different Loads. I have no idea why. Subsequent shots recorded just fine. I noted the calculations with a * as those were only based on 2 shots, not 3

The Chrony threw one error, and no idea why. I also noted the calculations with a * as those were only based on 2 shots, not 3

The white-out you see was just to correct my sloppy writing—no data was changed.

On Load 7, I just forgot to record the SD before I cleared the Chrony.

You’ll see I added a line “SD+ES” so my simple little mind could get a handle on the numbers. I don’t know if this is actually a valid method.

Both the Magneto and the Chrony agreed on the lowest ES and (probably) SD—load #7

But I’ll wait to hear from Jake on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Robby, thank you for shooting through the OCW test again. The results look much better this time around! I've crunched the data and agree that 66.8 is the tightest recorded ES/SD out of the test. Take a look at the average velocities of both 66.8 and 67.0 are identical at 3227. We might consider splitting the difference there to sit on a plateau at 66.9.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 4.48.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-18 at 4.48.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-18 at 4.49.16 PM.png
@robby denning @Ryan Avery

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Guys, thank you. I’ve handloaded for a long time but have never truly understood much of the science behind it. This is fascinating and eye opening. I’ve fumbled my way into some accurate loads most importantly with the bullet I want to use in my rifle but this is all next level. Awesome.

Robby/Jake
Looks much better this time. I’d agree 66.9 would be a good charge weight. I assume next will be some seating depth test and see what groups look like then. Without the magneto attached.
Also will you be using the once fired brass or new again?

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Robby/Jake
Looks much better this time. I’d agree 66.9 would be a good charge weight. I assume next will be some seating depth test and see what groups look like then. Without the magneto attached.
Also will you be using the once fired brass or new again?
Yes sir, sounds like the right plan! We have new brass to continue firing to have 100 pieces once fired.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robby, thank you for shooting through the OCW test again. The results look much better this time around! I've crunched the data and agree that 66.8 is the tightest recorded ES/SD out of the test. Take a look at the average velocities of both 66.8 and 67.0 are identical at 3227. We might consider splitting the difference there to sit on a plateau at 66.9.

View attachment 173278View attachment 173279View attachment 173280
@robby denning @Ryan Avery
Sorry I've been slow to respond. Had ample time to shed hunt for the first time in years. Anyway, the graphs really bring all this together for me. I understand much more about what you've been looking for now.

I agree, let's hit the 66.9 gr.

Questions:

1) If the ES jumped from 6 to 43 fps between 66.8 and 67, why don't we stay with the 66.8?

2) Do I send this 60 rounds of once-fired Bertram brass back yet?

3) I'm assuming another ladder test with the seating depths is next?

(@Ryan Avery, are you proud of me?)

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry I've been slow to respond. Had ample time to shed hunt for the first time in years. Anyway, the graphs really bring all this together for me. I understand much more about what you've been looking for now.

I agree, let's hit the 66.9 gr.

Questions:

1) If the ES jumped from 6 to 43 fps between 66.8 and 67, why don't we stay with the 66.8?

2) Do I send this 60 rounds of once-fired Bertram brass back yet?

3) I'm assuming another ladder test with the seating depths is next?

(@Ryan Avery, are you proud of me?)
We hope that 66.9 will be more tolerant of charge weight differences while being on a plateau. We could definitely stick at 66.8 if you'd like. Yes a bullet seating jump test would come next with the remaining new brass to shoot your best with and hopefully find a nice tight grouping you like. Let me know which one and then we'll run .020' closer to the lands and slowly back away to see what the bullet likes!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, you are going to be even more deadly this year! Looking good man!

Anyone on the fence about trying out Unknown Munitions needs to jump in. I have been extremely happy and impressed with his processes and results.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, you are going to be even more deadly this year! Looking good man!

Anyone on the fence about trying out Unknown Munitions needs to jump in. I have been extremely happy and impressed with his processes and results.

It’s a cool process

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We hope that 66.9 will be more tolerant of charge weight differences while being on a plateau. We could definitely stick at 66.8 if you'd like. Yes a bullet seating jump test would come next with the remaining new brass to shoot your best with and hopefully find a nice tight grouping you like. Let me know which one and then we'll run .020' closer to the lands and slowly back away to see what the bullet likes!

I trust your judgement.

Let’s go with the 66.9

Load up that other 20 new brass at your convenience and send them this way (with any special instructions) and I’ll get that group test done.

Thanks Jake.

ianpadron

WKR
This thread is overflowing with amazing info!

Tangentially related question for Jake: once you guys work up a "custom" load, will that load be available for purchase if you're shooting a similar setup?

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This thread is overflowing with amazing info!

Tangentially related question for Jake: once you guys work up a "custom" load, will that load be available for purchase if you're shooting a similar setup?
Not exactly, it will be available to the person it is worked up for. Generally no two rifles are alike.