Unlimited Hunt or $1250 in raffle tickets

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I look at the unlimited every year, but just can’t stomach the NR tag fee with limited quotas and all of the travel costs for 7-10 days of hunting. I have no issue spending the money when there is at least a decent chance of success (I hunt CO OTC elk every year). I personally spend a little in the points game and some in the raffles, but prefer to shoebox the majority for a guided sheep hunt one day.

If I lived in Montana I’d hunt the unlimited unit every year. In addition to the lower tag fee, I’d be able to spend significantly more time in the units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ll break the trend- Buy the raffles and go elk/deer hunting with that time until you draw. But vacation time is my primary limitation.

skierhs

WKR
I’ll throw a curve ball here and suggest New Zealand. I’d go to New Zealand if you have to pay the non-resident fee for the unlimited units. A plane ticket is about 1000 bucks to New Zealand from the states and there Arn’t many of any fees once you get there.
If that’s not a option then I would go with the raffle. The quality of ram with the raffle would be a higher quality sheep.

skierhs

WKR
When it comes to quality, I don't think there's anything that tops an unlimited ram. Not to mention the quality of the adventure that is the hunt.
A sheep is a sheep and the hunt quality would be intense but every sheep doesn’t score the same.

mt100gr.

WKR
I wouldn't think anyone considering an unlimited hunt is worried about scoring their sheep. There's so much more to sheep hunting.

By all means, if a high scoring set of horns is your motivator, play the lottery. Someone is going to draw.

However, the most recent lucky winner I personally know who drew a sheep tag in the breaks, finally pulled the permit after she and her husband had applied for a combined 64 years. His health had deteriorated to the point that he was unable to hunt "their" sheep with his wife. He has since passed away.

Hunt or hope.

mt100gr.

WKR
Don’t waste your time in the unlimiteds. It might be hard and you might not kill a sheep. And if you do it won’t have 17” bases.

😀😀😀
This is a fact! Scratching out a living in there means these rams allocate resources to survival vs horn growth. ....if there's even a legal ram in your unit.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like an easy choice. If you enjoy camping in high mountain wilderness with crystal clear air while having the possibility, even if remote , of taking a bighorn ram I'd do the unlimited. No doubt for many the cost of NR license or commitment of time will make it difficult to hunt sheep often. You should understand one of the lottery hunts may not be a sure thing as far as success. My friend did 2 Canadian guided bighorn hunts before killing one in the MT unlimited areas.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on what you want. Most of the unlimited sheep won't be "trophy" rams, score wise. Been hunting it for 3 years as a resident, and it is awesome country, but looking for a needle in a haystack - I know of some very good hunters that have been at it longer without a ram to show for it.... Depending on the migration, I think their is a very limited number, if any legal rams in a unit during the season.
Your last sentence about very few legal rams being in the unit rings true. The ram I harvested wandered out of Yellow Stone Park on the 8th day. We saw very few other sheep.

OP
trouthunter1106
Don’t waste your time in the unlimiteds. It might be hard and you might not kill a sheep. And if you do it won’t have 17” bases.

😀😀😀

I thought every ram in MT was a book ram?! I guess you're right, the unlimiteds are a total waste of time hahahahaha

Unlimited sounds pretty amazing.... high country hell, everyone competing for the 1 or 2 rams allowed, accomplishing something very few hunters will ever accomplish. Pretty incredible stuff right there.

NUGGET

WKR
Raffle tickets no doubt. At least you're not thinking you're hunting sheep when in reality you're walking around with a rifle.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Save your money and after 5 or so years with some interest you could book a mid-asian ibex hunt. Thats what I would do.

Save your money and after 5 or so years with some interest you could book a mid-asian ibex hunt. Thats what I would do.

nah I’m good with traveling to different countries for a long time except Africa, that place was so rich in wildlife it was like a humid big game heaven.