Unofficial Review : KUIU $800 Superdown Burner Parka

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would give my opinion on this for anyone who cares. As one of the few who opted to forgo my mortgage payment to buy one, might as well give some insight for others. As a note I have worn this almost daily.

The coat is unarguably as warm as advertised. I have owned a superdown pro, this is easily twice as warm. I have gone out for morning rucks with air temps in the negative single digits with windchills around -30. I have driven 40mph down the road on an atv in frigid temps. Not once was my upper body cold - EVER. The draft collar does great keeping the warm in and the cold out.

Wind and waterproofing work great. While it may be rare that you would need a coat this thick to be waterproof, the additional protection adds to the warmth.

The inner layer of material feels somewhat thin and fragile, but the outer layer feels solid. I haven’t “busted brush” with it, but it definitely feels like it could take more abuse than a standard puffy. I am fairly tough on gear, and haven’t hurt it yet. I have only lost a couple down feathers thru random seams.

The coat is surprisingly quiet. Not soft shell quiet, but quieter than any Sitka rain gear I own.

The insulated pockets are nice, they are decent sized and the zippers are easily operated with a glove.

The fit seems a little goofy, it’s somewhat tight in the shoulders, which is normal for KUIU, but the stomach area seems a little larger than it needs to be.

The hood is huge. You can adjust it down with the built in cinch bungees. The hood doesn’t really seem to turn with your head that well, you more or less have to turn your whole body when looking around.

Breathability is only adjustable thru main front zipper, no pit or side zips. I don’t think this is a huge issue, because this isn’t really an active layer for anything other than extreme temps.

It is very light and very compressible for what it is.

Silly but the storage pouch that comes with it is pretty handy when packing a bag or throwing in your truck.

Another random note : I washed this once. I followed all instructions and thought I destroyed it. It was clumpy and full of dead space. Long story short this takes FOREVER to dry. I have washed down sleeping bags plenty of times and they dry in a normal dryer cycle or 2. This took 5 cycles on medium heat in a front load dryer. I’m sure the waterproofing had everything to due with it. Finally came out looking like new though.

It’s made in Vietnam and not USA. I couldn’t find anything comparable to this (that’s not special order only) that offers the same level or warmth, waterproof, and wind proof)

Long story short I would buy it again. I’m sure there are plenty of coats or layering systems that would work great for less money.

I am biased, but it is nice to grab a bomb proof coat and head outside without any worry of cold.

If I missed anything or you have any specific questions, let me know.

Happy Hunting.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Did you put a couple of tennis balls in when you dried it? They break up those clumps and help dry it quicker

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PRC_GUY

WKR
I really enjoy your review about the Kuiu Burnet Parka, it is on my short list of jacket I wanted for future mountain hunting and thank you for your writing.