Unprepared partner

Mosby

WKR
I took a friend Elk hunting a few years ago in Colorado. Heavy snow, freezing temps, a lot of wind and he was done by the second day. I made sure that he understood what he was signing up for going in. We hunt hard. We don't take days off and we don't leave early. Communication is the key. To his credit he hung around the cabin we stayed at or came with me and hung out by the truck all day. He has never asked to go again.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Too late to pull the plug. Hopefully you both have an Inreach and you can just meet him back at base camp each night if he is not able to keep up with you.

OP
CApighunter
Sounds like you’re a guy who is willing to sacrifice for someone else to have a great experience. But, where is their sacrifice? He could be in better shape and could have bought gear. Effort is free. Don’t end up like me and waste 10 years being a de facto guide service.
It will be a lesson learned, day hunts only with him in the future. This is his third year hunting, my second with him. He was a victim of early success and shot a buck his very first time out. Has been learning since that it’s not always that easy.

Honestly a gentleman would acknowledge he isn't ready and bow out for his own safety and hours. He could also read Jim Zumbo's "How to get an easy elk" and have that be his strategy and keep the camp running for you while you go further back.

My best friend was much like that ( he has since passed on). Was never prepared, never had the right gear and never really had his heart in it. I learned to use him as my drop off or pick up . I would have him drop me off somewhere and pick me up at an AGREED upon time.
It sounds like you know what you are getting in the deal. You’ll know after the first morning whether he wants to hunt with you or stay in camp. If he is indeed a good friend, (this is going to sound like blasphemy on a hunting forum) there are more important things in life than ruining a friendship over a hunting trip.
What part of Idaho are you going to be in? Feel free to pm that part if you don’t want to blast it.

Rich M

WKR
Guy probably didn't know what he was getting into. If he knew he was holding you back, he'd probably find something else to do.

I hunt with folks to spend time with em. Hunting just makes the time more fun. That's just me.

If you want to get away from it all and be back in the mountains - then go.

AZ8

WKR
Taking my buddy on his first out of state hunt and first backcountry trip in 4 days.
Your partner was set up to fail before he even starts. Guys do this all the time with their wives/young kids when it comes to hunting, See it all the time.

***Back in college my buddies convinced me to go skiing with them one Saturday morning. I had never skied. They said I’d be fine and they would teach me. 1 hour on the skies, and I‘d be good to go! After some quick lessons, I’m on the ski lift heading up the mountain. We get off at the top. Double Black Diamond trail.……I walked down the mountain…….1988…..I’ve never put on another set of skis since.

Tod osier

WKR
Sounds like you’re a guy who is willing to sacrifice for someone else to have a great experience. But, where is their sacrifice? He could be in better shape and could have bought gear. Effort is free. Don’t end up like me and waste 10 years being a de facto guide service.

Good advice. I recently put myself in that position with an old friend and got a little deeper than I could easily extract myself. I wanted to keep the trip light and bear nearly all the responsibility so he had a good time, but I wasn't able to manage the trip details, my needs and his needs. My mistake 100 percent.

rayporter

WKR
i grew up with a fellow like that. there were 3 of us that hunted and fished together but one "joe" never took it serious.
sam and i took him to canada and we fished while he slept. i am on vacation says he. we caught fish before the sun was up and he cooked em for breakfast.

same with elk hunting. he was in his sleeping bag while sam killed a bull practically in camp. we never let him slow us down and since sam died i still hunt with him at my place.

you have the ability to make or break the hunt and the friendship.

Erict

WKR
The fact that "I made sure he understood how rugged and difficult it would be and that he needed to train before season." suggests that you had concerns almost a year ago. A few trial runs earlier in the year probably would have helped, but that's "water over the dam" now. I'd go ahead and it sounds like at worst you will be giving up some time on the hike in/out. Good luck!

rayporter

WKR
The fact that "I made sure he understood how rugged and difficult it would be and that he needed to train before season." suggests that you had concerns almost a year ago. A few trial runs earlier in the year probably would have helped, but that's "water over the dam" now. I'd go ahead and it sounds like at worst you will be giving up some time on the hike in/out. Good luck!
some dont get it no matter how hard you try to tell them.

i have had more than one guy say "i know you said it would be hard, but you never said it would be this hard"

*zap*

WKR
just do it and leave options available for the different ways things could play out...respect the fellow's effort and go forward as best as possible....enjoy your hunt and you can still hunt your hunt if you plan out good options..enjoy!

TX_Diver

WKR
Before you ditch him to meet up at a waypoint later, consider how his land nav skills are.

Regardless of what you do don't put him in a situation that will put him in danger or set him up to put himself in danger...

OP
CApighunter
Before you ditch him to meet up at a waypoint later, consider how his land nav skills are.

Regardless of what you do don't put him in a situation that will put him in danger or set him up to put himself in danger...
Of course, safety is the number one priority.

OP
CApighunter
just do it and leave options available for the different ways things could play out...respect the fellow's effort and go forward as best as possible....enjoy your hunt and you can still hunt your hunt if you plan out good options..enjoy!
We met up last night, covered gear and our game plan. Think we have a solid plan, easy 4 mile hike in to set up a spike camp and day hunt from there for the first half of the trip. We may not be able to get to every spot I wanted to check out but it should work out ok. After that reevaluate and see if we want to move areas.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan and I'm sure he appreciates it. Good luck on your trip, and let us know how it goes.

KyleR1985

WKR
The most valuable thing you can do in life is to ask/expect/remind/lean into/recommend a person(especially a young one) to do something more difficult than what they had set their internal compass to. The returns on this are incalculable. Human animals do the same thing most animals do - the least amount possible to get what they need. But we have an additional capacity to go further. Sometimes all it takes is just a mention of a higher goal from someone you respect to recalibrate your brain. The idea that the reason it’s being discussed is that they think you’re capable of success, is a big deal.

this goes with what @Ocbuckeye said - communication and grace are key. I think even that is undervaluing the notion. It could turn out an improved relationship, a hunt memory that will last a lifetime, and potentially turn your partner into a better human being.

it’s possible that it just turns into a Shit show. But you maintaining being a good guy and having to work harder to achieve your goal will make you better. That’s not the worst consolation prize.