Unprepared partner

I’ve hunted the high country for years with my own pack string of horses and mules. Someone always wants to go. You get some that can hang and some that can’t. It’s not so bad when there are several guys but if it’s just you and one other, ending up solo can be kind of dangerous. I once took only one guy with me and packed in several miles with the mules. By the time we got to our campsite, he was ready to leave already. I killed an elk that evening and ended up skinning, quartering and loading it on the mules by myself and I took him and the elk out first thing the next morning.

OP
CApighunter
Well things took an uglier turn today…. We hitched a ride with a guy with a side by side, I hopped in the seat, buddy climbed on the back with my backpack. Get to the trail and unload, my backpack is gone. They head back down the trail and find it in a creek, buddy wasn’t hanging on to it. I should have clipped it in but damn... Everything was soaked, spotter, tripod, puffy, food, extra clothes, battery bank etc. Nothing a few hours in the cimarron with the stove cranking wont fix but I’m frustrated. If the gentleman from Jerome with the side by side is on here, you sir are a saint, thank you and god bless.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Well things took an uglier turn today…. We hitched a ride with a guy with a side by side, I hopped in the seat, buddy climbed on the back with my backpack. Get to the trail and unload, my backpack is gone. They head back down the trail and find it in a creek, buddy wasn’t hanging on to it. I should have clipped it in but damn... Everything was soaked, spotter, tripod, puffy, food, extra clothes, battery bank etc. Nothing a few hours in the cimarron with the stove cranking wont fix but I’m frustrated. If the gentleman from Jerome with the side by side is on here, you sir are a saint, thank you and god bless.
Seems your buddy was not paying attention, well not to your backpack. You would think he would have noticed something. Good thing everything is going to be ok.

CoStick

WKR
Seems your buddy was not paying attention, well not to your backpack. You would think he would have noticed something. Good thing everything is going to be ok.
Maybe let him sit in front and watch your own pack? Poor guy has been taking a beating in this thread and sounds
like he has held his own. If is the less in shape the front might have helped him a bit.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Maybe let him sit in front and watch your own pack? Poor guy has been taking a beating in this thread and sounds
like he has held his own. If is the less in shape the front might have helped him a bit.
You actually said what I was thinking but, I was trying to be nice. See, more rude and aggressive members. :)

OP
CApighunter
He volunteered to hop in the back, I had my rifle and his pack on my lap.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
He volunteered to hop in the back, I had my rifle and his pack on my lap.
Okay, I have to ask. Why did you each have the others backpack. When I'm out with guys, I make it very clear nobody but me touches my gear but me. When in the past they have tried, I set them straight. This stems from a incident where we were unpacking and one of the guys started to grab my rifle and I told him twice not to touch it, well he had to be helpful and grabbed it anyway, he dropped it and broke the scope. We had words. People now stay clear of my gear like it has COVID.

OP
CApighunter
Okay, I have to ask. Why did you each have the others backpack. When I'm out with guys, I make it very clear nobody but me touches my gear but me. When in the past they have tried, I set them straight. This stems from a incident where we were unpacking and one of the guys started to grab my rifle and I told him twice not to touch it, well he had to be helpful and grabbed it anyway, he dropped it and broke the scope. We had words. People now stay clear of my gear like it has COVID.
He hopped up, I just tossed it on the back, and grabbed the other one. Probably didn’t help that they’re identical Kifaru 44 mags… I didn’t want to hold up the our friendly SxS guy any longer. Just grabbed bags, put them on the wheeler and headed up the hill. Wasn’t any thought to which bag went where.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
He hopped up, I just tossed it on the back, and grabbed the other one. Probably didn’t help that they’re identical Kifaru 44 mags… I didn’t want to hold up the our friendly SxS guy any longer. Just grabbed bags, put them on the wheeler and headed up the hill. Wasn’t any thought to which bag went where.
That clears that up. I guess write it off to sh*t happens.

Always tough to find someone who is committed at the same level as you are.
Much more fun to me if me and my hunting or fishing partner are equally committed. Unless I am taking out someone to introduce them to the outdoors but that's a whole different set of goals than trying to kill or catch something myself.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Any advice for heading into the field with an unprepared hunting partner? Taking my buddy on his first out of state hunt and first backcountry trip in 4 days. When we picked the unit in December I made sure he understood how rugged and difficult it would be and that he needed to train before season.
Last weekend we did a shakedown run for one night. He handled the living out of the backpack thing just fine but a 4.5 mile hike with one good climb wiped him out. Took 4 hours in and about 3.5 out. Weather was extremely mild and a non issue.
Next week south idaho is getting slammed with a cold front, temps in the teens and a little snow. To me that screams awesome deer hunting and I couldn’t be more stoked, but I can tell he’s hesitant. I’m concerned with his hiking ability and mental toughness going in. I’m afraid he’s going to want to quit after a day or two. I should have known better. A late season montana hunt from a motel would have been a better choice. He’s borrowing a pile of my gear, I’m providing all the shared items, and we’re taking my truck because he sold his last week.
I’ve already adjusted the plan to backpack the first 4 days and day hunt lower country the rest of the week from a roadside camp. Any other suggestions to keep this from turning into a disaster?
How did the hunt go with the unprepared partner? The first entire week of the general season in Idaho was cold and snowy.

OP
CApighunter
How did the hunt go with the unprepared partner? The first entire week of the general season in Idaho was cold and snowy.
Tough hunt, didn’t see much deer activity. Saw a few mountain goats our second day, that was neat. We still had a good time, I passed up a small forky the last day, neither of us filled tags. Partner hung in there and did alright, but was definitely burnt out by the end of the week.