Unrecovered NM 6A bull

OP
F

fatcats

FNG
No, this was by no means a hunting/tracking dog... It is my friend's dog whose house I was staying/camping at since he lives really close to the area

Bowser

FNG
Those should do the job. Was just curious as I watched my brother 10 ring a nice bull with a hypodermic rage. Got less than 2” penetration. We both just stood there in disbelief as bull ran 200 yards and started bugling again. They are insanely tough. Went to heavy arrows and fixed blades after that. Hate to hear you may lose this one. Best of luck

The pic posted of anatomy does a very poor job of accurately showing how much real-estate is above the spine, especially in the area you hit it.
Yup. Just because someone draws a pretty picture of the inside of a critter doesn’t mean that’s where everything is IRL.

The first time I cut up a big old bull, I was shocked to see how long the bone rays (IDK what a biologist would call em) are that stick up above the spine. The drawing doesn’t show that. Maybe that’s where “the void” is(?)

There's no such thing as a "void," that's a myth. And animals hit in the backstrap don't just stand there and hope you don't see them at seven yards.

Probably should have backed out and got your bow instead of yelling at it. Hopefully you find what's left eventually.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
Probably should have backed out and got your bow instead of yelling at it. Hopefully you find what's left eventually.
This. Can't tell you how many wounded elk I've seen blown out of the country or heard stories of losing them/not finding them because of pushing animals instead of giving them time or putting another arrow in them. Last thing you should have been doing was yelling at it 🤣

BBob

WKR
Bulls can survive high lung hits and even a double lung hit. Many years ago Pete Shepley (PSE CEO) shot a bull high and didn’t recover it. A year or two or three (don’t remember anymore) later another hunter killed a bull and while gutting it the lungs wouldn’t come out. The arrow had broken off with the broadhead embedded on the opposite side and was scarred over with the lungs healed around the shaft. Now how do we know it was Pete’s arrow? It was a PSE experimental Easton aluminum that Pete and a few others were shooting at the time. Those shafts were black anodize and marked as experimental so very recognizable. We didn’t have mechanical broadheads then and PSE had a popular exposed blade so I’ll bet he was shooting those at the time.

hobbes

WKR
Bulls can survive high lung hits and even a double lung hit. Many years ago Pete Shepley (PSE CEO) shot a bull high and didn’t recover it. A year or two or three (don’t remember anymore) later another hunter killed a bull and while gutting it the lungs wouldn’t come out. The arrow had broken off with the broadhead embedded on the opposite side and was scarred over with the lungs healed around the shaft. Now how do we know it was Pete’s arrow? It was a PSE experimental Easton aluminum that Pete and a few others were shooting at the time. Those shafts were black anodize and marked as experimental so very recognizable. We didn’t have mechanical broadheads then and PSE had a popular exposed blade so I’ll bet he was shooting those at the time.
I agree,I think a bull can survive a high lung hit especially that far back if he can overcome the infection.

Move that shot forward, above the shoulder blade where the spine dips toward the neck, and you likely have a spine shot or above the spine.

Scoot

WKR
There's no such thing as a "void," that's a myth.
Definitely no void. The spine dips down quite a bit as it nears the shoulder area. This leaves a lot of space above the spine, but below the top of the animal. Lots and lots of animals have been shot in this area and very, very few are recovered.

As far as the elk still being there at 7 yards- I've stalked up to lots of elk, deer, and other critters inside of 10 yards. Many have stood up when they realized something wasn't right, but didn't immediately run. No doubt he could have clipped a lung, but also that shot placement and behavior is anything but definitive in that regard.

Like I said, lesson learned. It's a bummer and no fun to lose an animal. Good luck to the OP next time.