Unrecovered NM 6A bull

fatcats

FNG
As the title says, I shot a bull in the first archery season but was not able to recover it. However, I was able to find him about 27 hours after I shot him and he was still alive. I did not bring my bow as the initial blood trail led me to believe he was no longer alive and I also brought my friend's dog along for a walk. I took a video since that is all I could do at the moment. He was standing still with his face behind a tree as if he was hoping I would continue to walk by without noticing him. It freaked me out to find him the way I did so I began to shout at him "Hello?!" and things like that. I was not sure if he had died in an awkward position or if he was truly standing there behind the tree waiting for me to pass. I was about 7 yard away and it didnt take long for the dog to pick up its scent and charge him growling which sent him running downhill. As I stood there watching him I could see this was in fact the bull I shot and could clearly see his wound. Can someone with more experience look at this and give me your thoughts on it? It was my first time ever shooting an elk but to me it looks well within the "kill zone" drawn on 3D targets. Did I miss the lungs? For reference I shoot a 480 grain arrow at 70 lbs 265 fps. The shot was taken at about ~23 degrees below him at 35-38 yards since he was above me on a hill. I've been searching for about 4 days at this point and I cannot locate him which leads me to believe he either ran a completely different direction than what I thought or he healed and found his herd again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ELK 9_11.jpg

Did you find your arrow? What was the penetration like?

Hard to tell, but looks like you hit him high and potentially the edge of his scapula.

Is the side of the bull facing you the entrance wound? If so and you were shooting from below how much penetration did you get? The wound is highish, for an upward angled shot. Good chance you only caught the top of one lung.

That being said if you hit a rib going in and deflected a bit, with the upward angle. . . You may not have gotten much penetration at all. Really need to know about arrow to know more

OP
F

fatcats

FNG
the arrow appears to have gone through him, although it stayed inside him for about 100 yards before it came out. The broadhead was nowhere to be found. The side visible in the video is the entrance wound.

arrow 9_11.jpg

crich

WKR
If you hit him on the right side Id be willing to bet you missed the left lung and potentially missed the right as its a little high. Hard to tell but Iooks like it might be right in that dead zone. Who knows it may have glanced a rib with the shot angle. Bum deal I've not recovered an animal before it really sucks. Now you know to have your bow in hand until you 100% have an animal on the ground. Hindsight is 20/20 and thats a tough way to learn.

Jacack

WKR
Bet he survives. If the right side was the entry.. they are some tough animals.

Sucks to be in that position. I learned to carry my weapon at all times after walking up on a stud mulie I was sure I made a great shot on only to see him jump up and run and never been seen again.

Side note. Not this situation but another one that happened to me that was tough to swallow.

Are you sure the arrow went through him, and wasn't hanging out the entry side? They can get pretty bloody stuck like that.

He's likely dead if that arrow went through him.
If it had minimal penetration then it's hard to say.

BTLowry

FNG
From what I can see you hit him in the backstrap and he will be sore but not a fatal wound.

Shooting from below the exit will be higher on the opposite side.
Possibly hit a spinous process and lodged broadhead in it and as posted above would have hung down and the blood on fletching ran down on it

I have heard whitetail hunters call this area "the void" meaning below the spine and above the lungs but if you know anatomy you know the lungs fill that cavity unless collapsed and "the void" is nonexistent

Good lesson for all to keep weapon with you until confirmed dead

hobbes

WKR
That arrow went through. Arrows don't get coated like that hanging out. You hit him high and even a little farther back than I'd prefer. You've clipped the top back of the lungs at best.

OP
F

fatcats

FNG
It is hard for me to believe I hit the back strap but I don't know elk anatomy well at all. After I took the shot, he ran slightly downwards and around the hill and gave me a full view of his right side where I could not see my arrow hanging off his side at all. With the way it sounded I thought I hit a rock or tree since I could not see my arrow. He also squirted blood out of his left side and not his right side (where the entrance wound is) which is why I'm so puzzled as to what I hit. Does this angle of him just before taking off give any more insight? He has his back legs extended to run forwards and his head is fully turned at this point.

ELK 9_11_2.jpg

Bighorner

WKR
Shooting up hill and hitting high, I would say that's a single lung hit. Total crap shoot on if he made it. He was obviously in poor shape to let you in that close. He was probably bedded and got up when he heard/smelled you. He probably did not go far. I think your best bet is to look for birds and listen for coyotes.

Sorry to hear it. Tough break. I agree high for sure tough to say if you made it in the cavity or through the straps. A part of me says cavity as he was encountered again and took awhile to bolt.

Tough break been there it sucks.

It is hard for me to believe I hit the back strap but I don't know elk anatomy well at all. After I took the shot, he ran slightly downwards and around the hill and gave me a full view of his right side where I could not see my arrow hanging off his side at all. With the way it sounded I thought I hit a rock or tree since I could not see my arrow. He also squirted blood out of his left side and not his right side (where the entrance wound is) which is why I'm so puzzled as to what I hit. Does this angle of him just before taking off give any more insight? He has his back legs extended to run forwards and his head is fully turned at this point.

View attachment 327338
You hit him high lungs if it went through him there. He probably was dying when you found him.
It's unfortunate, but it happens. Live and learn.

As much as closure might help your mind, I'd wait until after the season to locate him if it was the first archery hunt.
There's not much you can do about the skull right now with the tag from the first hunt. You'll need a warden to sign off on letting you get the skull now.
The 6A warden is cool, but probably crazy busy right now. I'd go back after this winter and look for it. If you find it then call and ask to get it. If not then you can let there be a glimmer of hope that he's not dead.

Edit: It never gets easier losing critters. You just accept that it's part of the journey. It'll stay stuck in your mind for the rest of your life.
Let it be a lesson, and try not to dwell too hard. (I know it's easier said than done)
Bowhunting sucks sometimes.

Animals can go a long ways on high lung shots. I hit my archery whitetail last year high lungs and it ran damn near 500 yards. A bull elk hit in the top of one lung, wouldn’t surprise me if it could survive a couple days.
I agree with the post above saying it was probably dying when you encountered it. Healthy animals don’t tend to stay put like that when you’re that close

Scoot

WKR
I'd just like to point out that the OP had a dog with him. Correct me if I'm wrong but...can't hunt with dogs. So let's go easy on him for "not having a weapon in hand!"
Huh...? Simple fix-- don't bring the dog, bring your weapon. It's hard for me to understand why you'd assume it was a lethal hit given where you hit it and that it was an uphill shot. Too high and too far back, but definitely so if it was an uphill shot. Possibly clipped very top of lungs, but doubtful. The pic posted of anatomy does a very poor job of accurately showing how much real-estate is above the spine, especially in the area you hit it. You likely only hit backstrap.

As was said above- hard lesson learned. Never leave your weapon behind unless you know it's dead.

hobbes

WKR
High back of the lungs probably has the least amount of blood flow in the lungs.