Unsuccessful in CO 82 Again

Bugle

Lil-Rokslider
We were not successful for the 2nd year straight in CO GMU 82. Not only, unsuccessful, but never saw an elk. I'm interested to know how others did in the unit (not hunting the BACA Refuge). Anyone hunt Archery/Muzzie/1st Rifle in 82 this season?

A few notes:
Last season we hunted exclusively in one deep drainage about 10-miles back. Camped at 10,000 ft and hunted from 8.5 - 12k for the 4-day first rifle season. Lots of old sign and great looking country, but no elk. The overwhelming advice from the Roksliders was to be more mobile. So this year we hunted from a base camp with access to a more, shorter drainages. Each morning we trudged up to the ridgeline around 9500 ft and hiked up the ridgeline glassing the dark timbers hard in the evening and mornings, and still hunting them with some cow calls midday.

We were stepping in week old elk poop and tracks literally every other step. We ran into 2 elk carcasses from the Archery season. They looked like they were in the area heavy 2-weeks prior, but we never spotted one.

We gave up a midday/afternoon hunt to check out what the fuss was about at the Baca Wildlife Refuge, and OMG what a poor sight. The refuge was open to hunting 2 seasons ago, is about 7-miles deep and holds a herd of elk. It is only accessible by bike, horseback, or on foot during daylight hours. We pulled up to a parking lot with 30+ cars, 90% of which were decked out with mountain bike racks. We talked to an older guy who tried to walk-in. He said it was literally a race at daylight for people on mountain bikes to peddle as fast as they can to the back of the refuge and find the herd of elk. Whoever got there first got an elk. He called it "Black Friday" for elk hunting. We could not believe that people hunted like that and found joy in it. We quickly left in disgust and headed back to the mountains.

Anyways - great views, fun camping, lots of exercise, but not elk again. We will be trying a new unit next season, so time to start prepping. Good luck everyone!
IMG-0420.jpgIMG-0432.jpg
IMG-3023.jpg

A lot of work wirh no payoff. That’s a good chunk of elk hunting.

Bummer about the BACA. How is that fun for anyone? We all hunt our own way but it sure seems some ways are more enjoy able than others.

We were not successful for the 2nd year straight in CO GMU 82. Not only, unsuccessful, but never saw an elk. I'm interested to know how others did in the unit (not hunting the BACA Refuge). Anyone hunt Archery/Muzzie/1st Rifle in 82 this season?

A few notes:
Last season we hunted exclusively in one deep drainage about 10-miles back. Camped at 10,000 ft and hunted from 8.5 - 12k for the 4-day first rifle season. Lots of old sign and great looking country, but no elk. The overwhelming advice from the Roksliders was to be more mobile. So this year we hunted from a base camp with access to a more, shorter drainages. Each morning we trudged up to the ridgeline around 9500 ft and hiked up the ridgeline glassing the dark timbers hard in the evening and mornings, and still hunting them with some cow calls midday.

We were stepping in week old elk poop and tracks literally every other step. We ran into 2 elk carcasses from the Archery season. They looked like they were in the area heavy 2-weeks prior, but we never spotted one.

We gave up a midday/afternoon hunt to check out what the fuss was about at the Baca Wildlife Refuge, and OMG what a poor sight. The refuge was open to hunting 2 seasons ago, is about 7-miles deep and holds a herd of elk. It is only accessible by bike, horseback, or on foot during daylight hours. We pulled up to a parking lot with 30+ cars, 90% of which were decked out with mountain bike racks. We talked to an older guy who tried to walk-in. He said it was literally a race at daylight for people on mountain bikes to peddle as fast as they can to the back of the refuge and find the herd of elk. Whoever got there first got an elk. He called it "Black Friday" for elk hunting. We could not believe that people hunted like that and found joy in it. We quickly left in disgust and headed back to the mountains.

Anyways - great views, fun camping, lots of exercise, but not elk again. We will be trying a new unit next season, so time to start prepping. Good luck everyone!
View attachment 225795View attachment 225796
View attachment 225794

I remember that thread. I can see the Sangre’s from my job site. I hope this is not the “new normal” elk hunting we can expect.

Marble

WKR

A few notes:

View attachment 225795View attachment 225796
View attachment 225794
I would take the advice of the other Rocksliders and be more mobile. Not just little drainages that are off a main one, but a new drainage system. Search again on OnX or however you do it and compare your tracks. See if you really went where elk know they don't get bothered.

I completely ignore 30 vehicles at a trailhead. Most are day hikers and never leave a trail. Most hunters don't either. Those that do spend their time investigating an area to locate elk. Then they kill one.

When I first get to an area I usually go in discover mode and make a very large meandering circle to look for sign entering and exciting the area. Super fresh sign will keep me in the immediate area. Very old sign will either send me away or keep me there depending on weather, pressure, location and experience with the animal movement in the area.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Bugle

Bugle

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feedback, Marble. The main takeaway this year was the same as last year - just to a larger degree: Be More Mobile.

We thought we were accomplishing that by hunting a series of shorter drainages this year, compared to going all-in on a 12-mile deep backcountry drainage last year. But, as you said, we need to be even more ready to adapt by packing up and moving if the sign we see isn't fresh. Next year we will be more adaptive.

Keep at it! Finding elk can be tough sometimes. Without knowing your actual routes/plan I offer two pieces of advice, 1) when being “mobile” think big, then double it. My first day route this year was 9.5 miles. Also, even though it didn’t come to this this year I was prepared to move entire units, hour drive in the am. 2) while looking at drainages and making moves don’t forget the other fundamentals of food and water. Covering ground for the sake of it won’t be productive. Still have to cover ground where there is sufficient food and water.

Marble

WKR
For me, I generally won't go hit an area in rifle season without glassing it first. Sometimes I waste an entire day glassing, but then I find a herd...then its not a waste.

Che

FNG
I live and hunt Colorado.

With only consecutive 7 yrs. Of hunting experience I am by no means an authority.

Each archery season I expect the elk to be high where they are when when I scout in the summer. It seems a little bit of pressure sends most elk down to 8,000 ft. moving to bed on Northwest slopes in the morning.

This could be limited to the areas I have hunted in the central and west part of the state.

In being mobile, I would recommend mixing up elevation and exploring different zones of flora.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
That's a tough unit, very steep which keeps a lot of the crowds on the trail though. I'd say part of your being more mobile plan should involve carrying camp on your back until you find the elk. You should be hitting a new drainage/area every day until you find fresh sign.

Reactions: Che

Extrapale

WKR
Have you scouted this unit?

How many days before the season do you show up to locate the elk?

OutdoorAg

WKR
We will be trying a new unit next season, so time to start prepping

Based on the above quote (the confidence in having a tag next season), I'm going to assume OP is talking about heading to an OTC unit.

I'm here to tell you that OTC CO is the exact same in every single unit:

1) Way way way too many tags sold by CO F&G.
2) Resulting in way too many hunters.
3) Meaning low success rates.
4) And disappointed hunters.
5) And pressured elk herds where just legal enough bulls get killed year after year after year after year and the CO elk her quality goes down, down, down.

Here's the deal man: CO OTC is awful across the entire state. Yes, I know someone is going to jump on this post and say "well I kill one in an OTC unit all the time!". But that aint the norm. Not even close. IMO, CO OTC is a pyramid scheme. Lots of huff and puff about the joy of walking off into the woods as a public land owner and enjoying the beauty of the mountains. Lots more huff and puff about the equipment you need to buy. But so few guys are willing to spit the truth - OTC is OTC because those are Colorado F&G's money makers. The folks in charge have decided to let the pyramid scheme roll because the money is good, instead of going the route of NM with a lottery and improving the elk herds.

I get it, I really do. For under $1000 you can step out of the truck and go "hunting". Reality is, OTC units are hiking units. And every so often, the weather and the luck and the moon and whatever else all align and someone kills one. Then they come here and other forums and make these long ass posts about what it took to be successful and thanks be to the elk gods and can't wait to go back, and if you try really hard you too can go kill one.

Am I jaded about CO elk? Yes. Yes I am.

Last edited:
Based on the above quote (the confidence in having a tag next season), I'm going to assume OP is talking about heading to an OTC unit.

I'm here to tell you that OTC CO is the exact same in every single unit:

1) Way way way too many tags sold by CO F&G.
2) Resulting in way too many hunters.
3) Meaning low success rates.
4) And disappointed hunters.
5) And pressured elk herds where just legal enough bulls get killed year after year after year after year and the CO elk her quality goes down, down, down.

Here's the deal man: CO OTC is awful across the entire state. Yes, I know someone is going to jump on this post and say "well I kill one in an OTC unit all the time!". But that aint the norm. Not even close. IMO, CO OTC is a pyramid scheme. Lots of huff and puff about the joy of walking off into the woods as a public land owner and enjoying the beauty of the mountains. Lots more huff and puff about the equipment you need to buy. But so few guys are willing to spit the truth - OTC is OTC because those are Colorado F&G's money makers. The folks in charge have decided to let the pyramid scheme roll because the money is good, instead of going the route of NM with a lottery and improving the elk herds.

I get it, I really do. For under $1000 you can step out of the truck and go "hunting". Reality is, OTC units are hiking units. And every so often, the weather and the luck and the moon and whatever else all align and someone kills one. Then they come here and other forums and make these long ass posts about what it took to be successful and thanks be to the elk gods and can't wait to go back, and if you try really hard you too can go kill one.

Am I jaded about CO elk? Yes. Yes I am.

What it took to be successful is not always what it takes. I’ve done everything better this year than last, and last year I had a bull by now.

prm

WKR
I shot a bull midday opening day last year. This year, I saw nothing, I heard nothing. You just never know with elk.

hunting1

WKR
There are elk there but you need to put the miles on to find them. You might get lucky around red lake area but up in the other color lakes is where we found them. Beautiful country!
As a neighbor to the south I’d like to see CO go to a straight draw, liberal in units but increase the quality of hunts.

OutdoorAg:

You are so correct about the elk hunting in Colorado. I was born and raised in Colorado and Colorado Parks and Wildlife only care about one thing. BUDGET! That's it. the herd counts are a joke and they can't manage them if they were correct. Here is the deal, Colorado has the cheapest out of state tags out there for elk and deer. If you are coming from the east then Colorado is closer than Idaho, Montana, Utah etc... Parks and Wildlife don't care, just keep giving out tags in otc because the majority of hunters will not see an elk so no loss there but they get the revenue. They said it themselves in a meeting when members of the Colorado Bowhunters Association were present. They said they were open to ideas as long as it didn't effect their BUDGET!

Colorado is over run with hunting pressure and recreational pressure. Parks and Wildlife will not do what is needed to correct the issue because of their BUDGET. They will not raise the price of Non resident tags, they will not limit the number of hunters in OTC units etc.... (This goes for Archery and Rifle seasons) Yes, I am lucky I live here and get a resident Archery tag. I have killed all my elk on OTC tags. For years I was taking one every year and sometimes passing on shots. Over the last 4 years, I have gone deeper and into areas I knew held good numbers of elk. I am now seeing more hunters than elk (period)!!. In addition, elk behavior has changed due to this pressure.

As a resident I would like to see the elk numbers increase and the hunting get better, if that means I can't hunt some years, so be it, if that means I pay more for a tag, fine. I even spoke to some DOW Officers who know that tags need to be limited and they said so in meetings. But that all fell on deaf ears to the commission board. They just want the money, I get it they have to pay the bills but at what point is there a balance?

It has got so bad that for the first time, I have been looking out of state to hunt elk. So, I soon will be one of those non-resident guys. Those of you thinking of Colorado for Elk, I would look at ALL my options first, prior to donating my money to Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

One other HUGE factor is the amount of people in Colorado, hiking, mountain biking etc. The numbers of "recreational" people doing these activites in the mountains has had an impact on deer and elk numbers. There was a study done by a DOW Officer who has since retired, on the impact of recreationalist, hiking, biking etc. on the elk herds in the Eagle County area. Long article, but he indicated that this type of activity negatively impacts the calving related to the elk population. Maybe the hikers and bikers need to buy a license to ride or hike to help cover the BUDGET. Hunters should not be the only people funding CO Parks and Wildlife

Yep, I ranted a bit.. But when States like Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and Montana can do it better, Maybe Colorado needs to change as well.

Last edited:

hoopp

FNG
Well...…………………..I live at 9,000' and I have coffee most every morning on the patio all year long looking at unit 82/Sangres. Most mornings I occupy myself with a spotting scope looking at animals over there including sheep. I can say during the hunting seasons that watching the traffic go up the road toward Hayden Pass in the morning and come back down in the dark each evening is almost comical, but actually pretty sad. I can't see how people don't bump into each other regularly there. Possibly the only thing more comical is the congestion down toward the Baca. Others here are correct, way too many people hunting for not enough animals, be it elk, deer, bear or pronghorn in this area. I'm dismayed watching the countless number of trucks with atvs, Queen Mary size RVs, etc. invade this area each Fall. This was for a long time a "quiet" area, but the out of state and in-state hunters have turned it into a mess in the last years. After seasons are over my wife and I always go around to all the "campsites" and clean up the mess that other just leave without a thought. If I had to hunt where all the others are it just wouldn't be worth the effort...………….to just meet new people.

I guess if nobody kills one it really doesn’t effect the herd health much. So that argument is out.

National forest is federal public land. Hunters pay the state for the animal that belongs to the state. So charging recreationalists doesn’t feel like it makes sense either.

And the state itself won’t stop hunters from buying tags in areas elk are not. So that plan is out.

Seems like Co elk hunting is screwed until further notice. All we can do is make sure the rest of the states don’t go down this road!

gbflyer

WKR
OutdoorAg:

You are so correct about the elk hunting in Colorado. I was born and raised in Colorado and Colorado Parks and Wildlife only care about one thing. BUDGET! That's it. the herd counts are a joke and they can't manage them if they were correct. Here is the deal, Colorado has the cheapest out of state tags out there for elk and deer. If you are coming from the east then Colorado is closer than Idaho, Montana, Utah etc... Parks and Wildlife don't care, just keep giving out tags in otc because the majority of hunters will not see an elk so no loss there but they get the revenue. They said it themselves in a meeting when members of the Colorado Bowhunters Association were present. They said they were open to ideas as long as it didn't effect their BUDGET!

Colorado is over run with hunting pressure and recreational pressure. Parks and Wildlife will not do what is needed to correct the issue because of their BUDGET. They will not raise the price of Non resident tags, they will not limit the number of hunters in OTC units etc.... (This goes for Archery and Rifle seasons) Yes, I am lucky I live here and get a resident Archery tag. I have killed all my elk on OTC tags. For years I was taking one every year and sometimes passing on shots. Over the last 4 years, I have gone deeper and into areas I knew held good numbers of elk. I am now seeing more hunters than elk (period)!!. In addition, elk behavior has changed due to this pressure.

As a resident I would like to see the elk numbers increase and the hunting get better, if that means I can't hunt some years, so be it, if that means I pay more for a tag, fine. I even spoke to some DOW Officers who know that tags need to be limited and they said so in meetings. But that all fell on deaf ears to the commission board. They just want the money, I get it they have to pay the bills but at what point is there a balance?

It has got so bad that for the first time, I have been looking out of state to hunt elk. So, I soon will be one of those non-resident guys. Those of you thinking of Colorado for Elk, I would look at ALL my options first, prior to donating my money to Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

One other HUGE factor is the amount of people in Colorado, hiking, mountain biking etc. The numbers of "recreational" people doing these activites in the mountains has had an impact on deer and elk numbers. There was a study done by a DOW Officer who has since retired, on the impact of recreationalist, hiking, biking etc. on the elk herds in the Eagle County area. Long article, but he indicated that this type of activity negatively impacts the calving related to the elk population. Maybe the hikers and bikers need to buy a license to ride or hike to help cover the BUDGET. Hunters should not be the only people funding CO Parks and Wildlife

Yep, I ranted a bit.. But when States like Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and Montana can do it better, Maybe Colorado needs to change as well.

Grew up there myself as did 3 generations before me. I’ve been back a few times. Both posters here are right in my experience. The only thing you both left out is the part about how the ranchers will scream their heads off if tags get reduced. They bitch about all the elk eating their feed, and now they bitch about all the bears eating their calves. But it’s not bad enough to open the gate, since they can monetize the situation with landowner tags, leases, and trespass fees. Oh yeah and the land managers at the BLM and FS let them graze it down to the dirt clods and pay little attention to overstaying their permits. Don’t get me wrong there are some good cattlemen but the bad ones more than make up for them.