Unwanted Black Bear

CX5Ranch

WKR
Unwrap a 12 gauge shell. Take out the shot. Refill with rock salt. Boom.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
mmcdonough

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Unwrap a 12 gauge shell. Take out the shot. Refill with rock salt. Boom.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Solid idea, I wonder if you could do the same with something a little more dense than salt too? I feel like the salt wouldn't give a ton of range since it's not all that dense. I have a deck attached our garage that sits about 15 feet up. If I could get him to come through there I wouldn't need more than 10 yards to blast some salt on his behind.

It’s learned behavior. Hopefully you can teach him that food isn’t available anymore or it’s impossible to get and haze it out somewhere else. But it’ll likely just become your neighbors problem that isn’t being diligent.

Rich M

WKR
LOL! That is one glandular issue he's got there...

Don't do anything stupid like birdshot or rocksalt - wound it and you may have a real problem. Firing a shot may scare it off, may not. Firecrackers would likely leave a longer lasting impression.

Lot of bear huggers on here.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Go get a small section of electric fence and hang a couple cans worth of sardines on the wire wrapped 2/3s in foil. plug it up and be sure to set a trail cam on video mode.

Risk has to outweigh the reward. Paintballs, rubber slugs.

Don't use birdshot, it DOES penetrate their hide, especially a young bear. Have had a few take a couple times of tough love, and then never seen again. THe ones that don't get taught WILL come back.....your house or someone elses. If it decides to be aggressive towards your kids, you probably wont have enough time.

Don't be this guy:

You don't "scare a family of bears" like this...dude could have gotten killed with Big Momma that close trying to protect her cubs. And yes, bird shot will leave a lasting and painful reminder what happens when eating out of your trash barrel. But it won't kill the bear. Shot from cover....don't do what Dilbert in the video did.

Felix40

WKR
Bird shot is not the answer. Stop feeding him is the answer. You are causing a nuisance bear to keep coming back by leaving stuff out for him. The DNR can probably give you some rubber buckshot or slugs but they may also have laws against creating nuisance wildlife.

I’ve shot a lot of Kodiak brown bears with plastic bullets and cracker shells out of 12 ga. shotguns. For Kodiak bears, once they get food they will be back, even if you run them 10 miles with plastic bullets and cracker shells. Call your game and fish dept. let them evaluate the situation, they will probably trap and relocate the bear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
alot of people around here have to "bear proof" their trash bins, to the point the bears cant get in them. (and they dont keep them in their garage) also do you have bird feeders by chance? they seem to be common bear lure things around here (people post pics of bears on their porches etc.)

just be vigilant with not leaving anything out for him to eat, and keep an eye on the kids, acorns should be dropping soon and u likely wont see him again, your just the hot food source for the moment

alot of people around here have to "bear proof" their trash bins, to the point the bears cant get in them. (and they dont keep them in their garage) also do you have bird feeders by chance? they seem to be common bear lure things around here (people post pics of bears on their porches etc.)

just be vigilant with not leaving anything out for him to eat, and keep an eye on the kids, acorns should be dropping soon and u likely wont see him again, your just the hot food source for the moment

If you have your trash picked up, our local Western Disposal supplies mountain customers with a bear proof bin.
Most chain it to something, and that’ll deter most any hungry bear.
If it doesn’t get food, it’s not rewarded.

Two years ago, my neighbor didn’t chain his can one evening, and the bear dragged the can 200 yards down onto my property and into a thick creek bottom where he proceeded to work that can what appeared to be for hours.
The thing was gouged top to bottom, all sides....but remained closed.

Elk97

WKR
I used to be a commercial beekeeper and we would put bees up in the clear cuts in the mountains of W Washington. Had to electric fence around them to keep bears out. Just used three strands of barbed wire on metal posts but put chicken wire mesh on the ground outside the fence and hooked the ground wire to it. Tied bacon strips to the wire every 8' or so. Never had bears get in (if the car battery didn't die).
Would see where they took off straight through the brush leaving a trail of bear s*&t for 20'. Might not be practical in your situation, but with little kids I would either fence, get them to trap it or kill it.

colersu22

WKR
We had a garbage bear in the neighborhood and I covered my trash bin with cayenne pepper inside and the lid and he never messed with my can again but would get the neighbors every couple days.

I can understand the need to protect your family.
However, if the bear has become more bold, and checking out your trash middays, then you’re not being diligent enough.
Why is there still trash for him to check out?
If you kill this bear, and still leave out trash, it’s your fault and another bear will take its place.
By leaving out trash, you’re luring a bear to your residence, where your kids are playing.
Maybe your current bear, isn’t aggressive but the next one that learns you’re the house to raid because there is usually food, will be aggressive.

Where’s Bruce’s comment is the typical gung-ho attitude.
Instead of being diligent, careful and responsible...just maim it or kill it.

You chose to live in bear country, my suggestion would be to learn to live more responsibly in bear country.

Yeah yeah yeah...wait until a black bear takes up residence under your mountain home cuz it's warm. Birdshot to the rump won't "maim" the bear but it will sting long enough to deter it...unlike the softer choices which often need to be reapplied. Bear country or not, once you've done your best to eliminate attractants then defending your living space (and little ones) becomes job #1. Any parent willing to put a bear's existence first is an unfit parent. One dead bear to prevent an unimaginable horror (the loss of a child) is not gonna cost me a single night's sleep. Go hug a tree.

LMT66

FNG
I’d paintball it every time I see it to make sure you don’t have multiple problems. Different color each time.

Yeah yeah yeah...wait until a black bear takes up residence under your mountain home cuz it's warm. Birdshot to the rump won't "maim" the bear but it will sting long enough to deter it...unlike the softer choices which often need to be reapplied. Bear country or not, once you've done your best to eliminate attractants then defending your living space (and little ones) becomes job #1. Any parent willing to put a bear's existence first is an unfit parent. One dead bear to prevent an unimaginable horror (the loss of a child) is not gonna cost me a single night's sleep. Go hug a tree.

WB-
You have palm trees in your yard.
You don’t know the first thing about living with bears, only how to internet act like you do.