Unwanted Black Bear

WB-
You have palm trees in your yard.
You don’t know the first thing about living with bears, only how to internet act like you do.

Used to live in Incline Village on the north shore of Lake Tahoe...you don't know anything about me so please don't pretend to.

Shrek

WKR
Kill the pest and be done ! You’ve got kids and you’re still just discussing the problem !? It’s a damned black bear and there’s a million more where that one came from ! Nothing special except it’s a pest and a danger to your children and everyone else.

I think it’s lame to suggest killing the bear, because food is left out for it, and all a bear thinks about is how to get food.

Our neighborhood bear opened 5 vehicles last week. One of the doors shut behind the bear, and it proceeded to absolutely destroy the interior...until it finally opened the door again.

No one discussed killing the bear, just that locking car doors is the next solution for this cleaver bear.
I think your idea is lame. Are you so naive to believe that he isn't going to bust the door windows next?

Used to live in Incline Village on the north shore of Lake Tahoe...you don't know anything about me so please don't pretend to.

I stand corrected, your an old pro with living in bear country too.
Many bears running around north shore of Lake Tahoe with bird shot in their ass?

johnsd16

WKR
Slather a few cans of brake cleaner in bacon grease and hang them around the area you don’t want it to be. Haze him out, or just have the DNR come kill it if you don’t want to. In MN it will eventually move to another food source this fall, but may just come back next spring/summer.

I stand corrected, your an old pro with living in bear country too.
Many bears running around north shore of Lake Tahoe with bird shot in their ass?

There's this thing called Google you can use to check this issue out which will enable you to stand corrected in the corner silently. The Calif. side of the lake has a bigger problem with the bears cuz they don't chase the bears off. They cohabitate with bears enjoying the warmth beneath their floors. It's a squabbling point among residents. I owned a company that provided snow-clearing services there in the 80s before Slide Mountain slid and took out Hwy 395. Shortly thereafter I sold the business and moved back to the beach. cuz I missed dating women with tan lines. I'm told the NV/CA bear feud is still going on and getting worse.

Last edited:
A chain to the nuts out to do the trick...

72940.gif

I would post up on the local hunting forums that you are looking for someone with a tag that would like to harvest a predictable nuisance bear. Include photos.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
Clearly Spikecamp can keep a house with kids and produce no odoriferous materials that a bear would find interesting..... Buuuuttt.... for the rest of us mortals, living life produces garbage, stuff that smells and shit that bears generally find attractive... being that I've seen bears eat damn near anything... and I mean anything...
If you are in a area with a lot of bear numbers, it's probably true that killing it will just leave a void that will be filled by some other dumbass young bear looking for food or mischief.
Hazing it "may" work, honestly it's not super effective if a bear has gotten used to the idea of getting a reward for it's risk. Your neighbors bird feeder is a nice caloric source and I'm sure your other neighbors are unwittingly giving the bear a reason to hang around. You may be buying a lot of rubber buckshot before it's done, considering that you can even catch him enough to pepper him enough times to make your point.
I would say go spend $75 and build a electric fence around the garbage area and any other places he likes to snoop around in. Electric fences are surprisingly effective on bears and they keep working even when you are not around.
IF all of that fails, or he gets aggressive towards humans... well... human life outweighs ursine life. Period.
Be nice and try to save it from itself until it's time to not be nice, then make it fast and humane.