Upcoming DIY Hunt Idaho Unit 49

Hello all, I am new to Rokslide and have been obtaining a ton of info from all of you!
I have an upcoming trip to Idaho to hunt mulies the last week of October.

My questions:
Any advice on e-scouting? Elevation, land features, etc.
Gear recommendations. I am working on my clothing list. Still need sleeping bag. Any gear ideas would be appreciated.
Any advice from anyone familiar with the unit would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Calbuck

WKR
First word of advice would be to not name the unit you’re going to be hunting in. I’m guilty of having done this in the past and people generally don’t want to get too specific about things when that issue is present. Things like that are better left to private messages. Live and learn..

OP
B
Thank you for the heads up. Definitely not asking for specific spots. Just looking for tips on how to e-scout, what elevation bands to target, etc. Thanks again!

huntnful

WKR
Don’t know about the unit. But look for old burns. Hunt the top edge of the highest timbered/burned areas. High rocky features at the top edge of the timber line are a bonus. Pick an area with several good glassing vantages within short distances of each other and plan on moving to each other throughout the day. You can’t kill what you don’t see. Even create a plan that involves moving camp every day if you’re not seeing anything. Don’t commit to one camp area for 7 days. You don’t know it deer are even living in that area. Plan on being able to pack up and move 1+ miles at a time if needed.

huntnful

WKR
7DBF149F-D930-4BE3-AAA8-A69F4949DE48.jpegI killed a buck right at the base of that rocky feature. Literally dropped a pin on it during e scouting, drove 1000 miles, packed in 9 miles and killed a buck on day two. Shoot be a pretty good visual of what I’m talking about.
43E6AE6A-922C-479D-B5DB-93206DD6CEEA.jpegThis is how he was when I glassed him at 3:00 in the afternoon, after moving camp 1.5 miles that morning.

LukeJ22

FNG
Classified Approved
I can’t really give any advice as I’m new to Western hunting but I’m making my first trip this year and it just so happens to be the last week of October for mulies in 49. Message me if you want. Maybe we’ll run into each other out there but hopefully not haha. Best of luck to you!

Calbuck

WKR
I’ve hunted there several times. You’re in for a challenge. I’ve seen some really nice bucks in there. But not many. The country is big and everything looks like it should hold deer, but it doesn’t. Be flexible, stop and look around down low, you never know. I didn’t ever see many people hiking in deep in there.

moscowman

FNG
That's big country. Use your optics, try to get away from other hunters. For sure be ready to move camp. Even consider backpacking away from the roads for a night or two. You probably won't see a lot of deer, but they are there. I'd shoot the first nice 4x4 I saw in that unit. To be honest I'm a Idaho resident and 49 isn't well known for giant bucks, there is always a chance, but....Also check out the Access Yes land. Get up real early and be in your hunt area glassing as early as you can, same at dusk. You'll be walking in the dark to get in place and be ready.

moscowman

FNG
You should start seeing rut activity in last week of October, but also be prepared for snow.

Ekendust

FNG
Hello all,

I've been reading through everyone's responses and you guys seem really helpful and solid. I have posted on a few other similar posts. My friends and I are in virtually the same boat for this coming fall. I was hoping there might be an update on how the hunt ended up and if there are any "lessons learned" as far as gear, water availability, road conditions to trail heads, etc.
I would PM but, I'm still to new.

Thank you