: UPDATE: 28 Nosler Federal Terminal Ascent Ammo

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether or not Federal Terminal Ascent has been discontinued for 28 nosler? I've seen some websites making that claim but nothing from Federal.

I don’t think anyone is making 28 Nosler ammo right now. I spoke with Nosler and they are not producing any right now. Not a top seller is what she told me.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I heard a podcast host recently say that he has an inside connection at Federal and the employee there can't even get the Terminal Ascent. I think the production as been very limited on that particular line for some reason, but Federal has openly admitted to idling certain calibers and lines to prop up prices longer. It sucks but its capitalism. They're making bank while they can, and seizing an opportunity to do so after several years of very low demand.

As far as the 28 Nosler. The manufacturers can't keep up with the popularity. Nosler was the sole producer of it for about three years, before other brands started production. It's by far been the most popular Nosler cartridge, and no one can keep it in stock. I have had a hundred backorders canceled in the past two years due to them not being filled after 6 months.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the input. I have super limited supply of unproven hornady Eld-x and nosler E-tip, but I was really hoping to play around with a bonded round this year. I'll keep my eyes open.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
28 nosler in Federal Terminal Ascent IS DISCONTINUED according to representative from Federal. They have some left in stock and will continue to produce the .28 bullet but not the cartridge.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Trouble will be finding brass in the future. Federal said there's only like 2 places making the brass for .28 nosler

I heard a podcast host recently say that he has an inside connection at Federal and the employee there can't even get the Terminal Ascent. I think the production as been very limited on that particular line for some reason, but Federal has openly admitted to idling certain calibers and lines to prop up prices longer. It sucks but its capitalism. They're making bank while they can, and seizing an opportunity to do so after several years of very low demand.

Source for that statement? It doesn’t line up with anything I’ve seen from Federal or Vista.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
Source for that statement? It doesn’t line up with anything I’ve seen from Federal or Vista.
Here's one.

And excerpt from Vista indicating their intention to increase their own capacity by acquiring Remington without increasing the capacity of the market... hence the joint monopoly between Vista and Olin controlling output and driving prices out the roof.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220214-194403_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220214-194403_Chrome.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 18
Idling production to keep prices high and not investing to permanently increase capacity (or even preventing others from doing so) are two very different things.

If that’s the baseline, one could say the same about Bartlein. They’ve stated they don’t plan to add capacity despite the current 10-12 month lead time.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
Idling production to keep prices high and not investing to permanently increase capacity (or even preventing others from doing so) are two very different things.

If that’s the baseline, one could say the same about Bartlein. They’ve stated they don’t plan to add capacity despite the current 10-12 month lead time.
I see your point, I was just trying to show that despite Vista and others screaming, "we're doing all we can" and "we've increased production capacity by 800%" they are simply patronizing a desperate market. Yeah they've "procured" more capacity with the only intention of removing it from the market or keeping someone else from expanding on it. Again, it's not illegal or unethical, it's simply profiting off a unique and unfathomable opportunity. I just don't agree with those in the corner offices feeding the YouTube public a spoonful of lies to make us think they are working day and night to end this fiasco and get shelves stocked full of cheaper ammo.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Did you ask if they planned on offering 28 Nos in the new heavier Terminal Ascent bullet in .284? It's a much better match for the 28 Nos anyways. Federal is lying by saying only 2 manufacturers of 28 Nos brass. There's several companies that produce 28 Nos brass, it's just like every other caliber of brass these days... out of stock.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Did you ask if they planned on offering 28 Nos in the new heavier Terminal Ascent bullet in .284? It's a much better match for the 28 Nos anyways. Federal is lying by saying only 2 manufacturers of 28 Nos brass. There's several companies that produce 28 Nos brass, it's just like every other caliber of brass these days... out of stock.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I didn't probe much further. He just confirmed that they are in fact discontinuing 28 in terminal ascent and wasn't sure what the future held for the cartridge.... also encouraged me to handload it.

WCB

WKR
I see your point, I was just trying to show that despite Vista and others screaming, "we're doing all we can" and "we've increased production capacity by 800%" they are simply patronizing a desperate market. Yeah they've "procured" more capacity with the only intention of removing it from the market or keeping someone else from expanding on it. Again, it's not illegal or unethical, it's simply profiting off a unique and unfathomable opportunity. I just don't agree with those in the corner offices feeding the YouTube public a spoonful of lies to make us think they are working day and night to end this fiasco and get shelves stocked full of cheaper ammo.

What do you think would get ammunition to the market faster and more efficiently? buying land, building a facility, going through permitting, buying all the machinery and training brand new employees, all this while there are sourcing issues and costs are sky high, OR...buying what was the 3rd largest private (non-gov) ammunition producing facility already tooled...bring back as many former trained employees as possible and within a short time move towards providing 100s of millions of rounds to market?

How do you know that they are not expanding capacity or efficiencies right now at the Federal plant? You don't.

Last edited:
My issue with it these statements is that pumping out ammo around the clock and adding capacity are not mutually exclusive at all. All of the manufacturers say they are making more ammo than ever, and none are adding permanent capacity to the market by building new facilities. That is consistent with the statement above and every other one I have seen.

Somehow it always gets turned into “they aren’t making as much ammo as they can to artificially inflate the price.” That sentiment has been repeated several times across this forum. As far as we know, there’s absolutely no truth to that. They don’t have to artificially inflate the price with current demand and the extensive log of backorders.

Vista even did expand their capacity by purchasing the Remington facility, while insulating up their position in the market. Would I have rather seen a smaller or new manufacturer get that plant? Sure, but right now, as a consumer, the only thing that matters is that it’s running.

Last edited:
Reactions: WCB