(UPDATE)Optic dilemma need advice

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
Hello roksliders welcome to my current “struggle”. I’ve come into an optics negotiation on a different listing forum. I’m currently running vortex razor 12x50s and have been very pleased with them for a couple years now. I’ve had on 2 ocassions been able to look through swaros and have been very impressed but not to the tune of 1500 or 2 grand plus out of pocket, I usually sell a bunch of gear to get one piece of better gear and that’s how I happens upon my razors. So heres the details:

My Razor HD 12x50s which I like a lot and have come accustom the 12 power.
My Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 which I hardly use cause I feel I can see better with the razors. Not attached to the spotter at all.

For his Swarovski 10x42 ELs with a tripod adapter

I feel this seems to be a fair trade value wise, thoughts? I’m also worried I will regret going from 12s to 10s but with my lack of experience with Swarovski I don’t know if the power trade off for the better glass is worth it? Hopefully some experienced guys with both glass can give me some schooling, thanks for the time and all your advice guys!

AZspot&stalk

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’d like the Swarovski better because they’re 10’s instead of 12’s. Unless you’re using a tripod 12’s are hard to keep steady. I think you’ll be happier but I have no idea if it’s a good deal.

lif

WKR
I am literally looking through my razor 12x50 and my buddies 10x42 els at my house today comparing them. Only one day but here’s my opinion. I used them throughout the day during different lighting glassing a hillside about one mile from my house. The clarity to me was very similar. But the color tone and amount of light let in went to the swaros. Especially late in the day. Not telling you which way to go just saying what I saw. I am happy with my 12x50 razors and if anything I was reassured of there quality today. That being said I would take the swaros over the razors straight up. Value of deal seems fair to me. Good luck.

lif

WKR
A
I am literally looking through my razor 12x50 and my buddies 10x42 els at my house today comparing them. Only one day but here’s my opinion. I used them throughout the day during different lighting glassing a hillside about one mile from my house. The clarity to me was very similar. But the color tone and amount of light let in went to the swaros. Especially late in the day. Not telling you which way to go just saying what I saw. I am happy with my 12x50 razors and if anything I was reassured of there quality today. That being said I would take the swaros over the razors straight up. Value of deal seems fair to me. Good luck.
And my buddies els are 10 years old.

Clarity factors in to glassing just as much as brightness.
My friend Keith has 12 x 50 Razors, Bob has GEN 1 EL 10 x 42 and I have 30-year-old SLC 7 x 30
Glassing hillsides while shed hunting, Bob’s EL’s have a slight edge over my SLC‘s and a huge in clarity advantage over the Razors.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Once you use 12's, it's hard to go back to 10's IMO. The only reason I don't carry 15's all the time, is because of the size and weight.

brsnow

WKR
You will find a couple one off internet comments but for people who typically spend a good amount of time glassing wil
First year ELs were made. Your Razors have better glass IMO.

You also feel meostars are better than SLC I think I read. You are fortunate to have frugal vision.

rodney482

WKR
I think much depends on your eyes. My Razors were superior to my first gen ELs.

16 year old optics are just not in the same class.

Clarity factors in to glassing just as much as brightness.
My friend Keith has 12 x 50 Razors, Bob has GEN 1 EL 10 x 42 and I have 30-year-old SLC 7 x 30
Glassing hillsides while shed hunting, Bob’s EL’s have a slight edge over my SLC‘s and a huge in clarity advantage over the Razors.

JBenz63

FNG
I would do take the trade. Clarity beats magnification hands down. I would rather have a new set of 10x42 ELs over vortex 15s, 12s,10s and even spotter combined. Now if they are the older ELs it would be a different story

OP
S

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
They are definitely older ELs, is it possible for 16 year old swaros to have a huge clarity advantage?