Updating hunting clothes… does this sound right

Weshawk5

FNG
Going to update my hunting clothes on Black Friday and other sales. Does this sound about right as a layering system.

minus 33 merino wool base layer top/bottom -already own
Wrangler outdoor pants - already own

kuiu peloton 97 hoodie
Kuiu peloton 97 zip leggings
Kuiu peloton 240 zip hoodie
Kuiu axis hybrid jacket and pant

Predator camo fleece suit - already own and only wear still hunting when it’s pretty darn cold. Also have the insulated carhartts if it really gets cold.

right now I just wear random pieces of cheaper gear and want to update to some higher quality. I live in Kansas and primarily hunt deer from a tree stand but have been buying preference points for Wyoming antelope and would like to branch out to Colorado or Idaho. Kuiu has some good sales going on right now.

thanks!

Drenalin

WKR
I found the fit of the Axis jacket to be weird, even for Kuiu, not sized like their other layers I've tried. Certainly no room for layering in the one I tried, which was sized the same as the Peloton stuff I have. It's also loud, at least for whitetail hunting - somewhere between puffy jacket noise and rain jacket noise, but it doesn't do what a puffy jacket does, nor does it do what a rain jacket does. It's a nice looking jacket, but I returned mine within a few hours of receiving it on the basis of it being essentially useless.

The Peloton 97 and 240 stuff is really nice. I'm going to try a Kenai jacket next and stick to traditional layers instead of trying to shortcut it with a softshell.

OP
W

Weshawk5

FNG
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I will buy the peloton stuff and hold off on the axis. I wanted to find a good versatile mid season outer layer that I could put over the peloton that would get me into the 40s-30s. I usually bring out the predator fleece in 30-20s. Something that was noisy like a hard shell definitely wouldn’t work for whitetail archery hunting.

j33

WKR
check out Kuiu's current sales as they have some good ones right now.

I've owned 3 different styles of Peloton 240, non hoody, hoody and a vest.... I eventually all sold them. They don't breath good enough for active hunting unless real cold. If they offered some brush busting protection I would still own them, just can't justify keeping them for those unique cold situations. They also take a fair bit of room in the pack when you ain't using it.

I love the 97, but be darn sure you ain't pushing it through the bush. I combine it with a super lightweight non hunting winshirt for sheep hunting (25F to 40F) and breaths way better than the 240 yet blocks enough wind. I also own a Strongfleece 210 for lower activity hunts, great for brush busting, offers some DWR and breaths better than the 240 but doesn't stop the wind as good. The 210 really surprised me for those warmer temps hunts.

OP
W

Weshawk5

FNG
Now I am rethinking this whole thing!

the kenai pants and jacket look like probably a better option vs the axis set for whitetail stand hunting when cold. they can also be packable for an active hunt. Reviews say they’re quiet also.

they definitely have some good sales right now and I wanted to buy once I figure out what would work the best.

I figured the peloton 240 would be a good wind break and provide some warmth with Layers under it on 40s-60ish degree days stand hunting in some wind. Maybe with attack pant.

Last edited:

j33

WKR
Now I am rethinking this whole thing!

the kenai pants and jacket look like probably a better option vs the axis set for whitetail stand hunting when cold. they can also be packable for an active hunt. Reviews say they’re quiet also.

they definitely have some good sales right now and I wanted to buy once I figure out what would work the best.

I figured the peloton 240 would be a good wind break and provide some warmth with Layers under it on 40s-60ish degree days stand hunting in some wind. Maybe with attack pant.
oh stand hunting I didn't catch that, yeah a 240 will fit the bill then. Nice jacket I just don't like stuff sitting around or only get used for "around town", I can buy casual jackets for way cheaper than a hunting jacket.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
oh stand hunting I didn't catch that, yeah a 240 will fit the bill then. Nice jacket I just don't like stuff sitting around or only get used for "around town", I can buy casual jackets for way cheaper than a hunting jacket.
I’ve got a 240 as well that much like you, is just sitting around. Blocks wind really well but I start sweating as soon as I move with it on

OP
W

Weshawk5

FNG
I’ve got a 240 as well that much like you, is just sitting around. Blocks wind really well but I start sweating as soon as I move with it on
Sounds like it is a jacket you would definitely carry in and put on once your in the stand.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Going to update my hunting clothes on Black Friday and other sales. Does this sound about right as a layering system.

minus 33 merino wool base layer top/bottom -already own
Wrangler outdoor pants - already own

kuiu peloton 97 hoodie
Kuiu peloton 97 zip leggings
Kuiu peloton 240 zip hoodie
Kuiu axis hybrid jacket and pant

Predator camo fleece suit - already own and only wear still hunting when it’s pretty darn cold. Also have the insulated carhartts if it really gets cold.

right now I just wear random pieces of cheaper gear and want to update to some higher quality. I live in Kansas and primarily hunt deer from a tree stand but have been buying preference points for Wyoming antelope and would like to branch out to Colorado or Idaho. Kuiu has some good sales going on right now.

thanks!
The peloton 240 hoodie works great used it for the first time a few weeks ago it really blocks the wind. I only had a base layer with a vest underneath and stay comfortable when wind picked up and got colder. I did not need a neck gaiter or a beanie hat with this hoodie, it covers your neck very well and goes all around your head covering most of your face. Saved me from carrying those two items saving a little weight in my pack.

utley010

FNG
I have the Axis jacket and am pretty disappointed by it. It is not warm, it is loud, it isn't long enough to cover my lower back while sitting. I also had to size up to allow for anything more than a base layer. I only keep it (and the pants) as an outer layer while brush busting in MN. I'd recommend the Kenai for a quieter/warmer outer.

The 97 top is more like a warmer base layer than a mid layer. Being "extremely warm for the weight" means less when the piece weighs virtually nothing. I find myself only grabbing it when moving and when I need slightly more than my base shirt. I'd recommend a heavier mid layer like the 200 or strongfleece line.

OP
W

Weshawk5

FNG
I have the Axis jacket and am pretty disappointed by it. It is not warm, it is loud, it isn't long enough to cover my lower back while sitting. I also had to size up to allow for anything more than a base layer. I only keep it (and the pants) as an outer layer while brush busting in MN. I'd recommend the Kenai for a quieter/warmer outer.

The 97 top is more like a warmer base layer than a mid layer. Being "extremely warm for the weight" means less when the piece weighs virtually nothing. I find myself only grabbing it when moving and when I need slightly more than my base shirt. I'd recommend a heavier mid layer like the 200 or strongfleece line.
Thanks for the response and review. I actually ended up switching it up completely. Bought the sitka stratus bibs and jacket for whitetail stand hunting and the firstlite uncompahgre jacket and pants to wear as a mid layer under the stratus or an outer layer when active hunting. Also bought a pair of the kuiu attack pants. I will probably still buy either the kuiu peloton 97 or sitka lightweight hoodie for Kansas early September archery hunting when days can still be in the 80s and even 90s at times. Also bought a few pairs of the wrangler outdoor pants for those types of days.

I may eventually buy the sitka fanatic jacket or some other heavyweight hunting jacket for extremely cold days. The bibs would be nice also but I wore my uncompahgre pants under my insulated carhartt bibs and was toasty warm sitting out in negative windchill temps. Carhartts aren’t the quietest but they’ve been washed plenty and aren’t too bad.

I plan on selling my predator fleece pants and jacket as I much prefer bibs when it’s cold enough to wear them.