Upgrade from Mathews Drenalin to 2020 bow - what's to gain?

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Fellow archery Roksliders,

I'm considering a new bow for 2020 and have been reading the threads on here about the new bows. It seems that the gains over the last few years have been minimal per the comments, but I would be upgrading by more than a few years :oops:. My Drenalin was purchased at my local pro-shop in January 2007 if my memory is correct. It has killed elk and deer, and is the only bow I have every owned. I shoot it at 70LBS and 30 inch draw with FMJ's and slick trick broadheads. My complaint has always been that the bow was a bit noisy (my brother shoots the same bow, and his is much quieter). As far as service, I took a fall in the back-country when the bow was 3 year old and broke a limb. Mathews rebuilt the bow at no cost, so I am a little bit partial to Mathews to be a loyal customer when they took care of me, and will definitely shoot the new VXR if I decide to take the plunge and go to my local shop to start shooting bows, but I am not a brand champion by any means so am open to the best buy.

The question for you all is what will I really gain in real world hunting use by making an upgrade to one of the new 2020 bows? Will I be able to shoot a substantially heavier arrow at the same speed? Can I shoot the same arrow and get more speed/flatter trajectory? Do the new bows tune easier, stay tuned better? Are they easier to shoot and be consistently accurate? I assume the new bows will be quieter than what I'm shooting. I know my current bow will still perform, and will likely keep it as a back up or give to my son to use for a few years.

I am thinking it would be fun to have a new bow, but just wanting to be sure I'll get real world upgrade (not IBO ratings) if I go to the effort of dialing in a new rig.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I upgraded last year from a 2007 Bowtech Allegiance to a Mathews Vertix. I shot every bow I could before I bought. What I found was, compared to my Ally, the newer bows are quieter but similar speeds (somewhat faster but most brace heights have dropped) with a slightly better draw cycle. Was worth the upgrade to me after over 10 years, but the gains are not there to upgrade every year (or 3, IMO).

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded last year from a 2007 Bowtech Allegiance to a Mathews Vertix. I shot every bow I could before I bought. What I found was, compared to my Ally, the newer bows are quieter but similar speeds (somewhat faster but most brace heights have dropped) with a slightly better draw cycle. Was worth the upgrade to me after over 10 years, but the gains are not there to upgrade every year (or 3, IMO).
MidGAHunter, thanks for the reply. Have you found any difference in accuracy and tunability? Shooting different arrows?

rob86jeep

WKR
I'm in the same boat. I have a Switchback XT that I bought new in 06 but have decided it's about time for a new bow. Even though I haven't shot any of them yet, I have a strong desire to go check out the VXR 31.5. Either that, or pick up a used Halon 32. I'll have to shoot the new ones in the next few months and decide if a new VXR is worth double the price of a used Halon.

MidGAHunter, thanks for the reply. Have you found any difference in accuracy and tunability? Shooting different arrows?

I am shooting different arrows but I chose to move to a heavier arrow. Accuracy and tunabilty are similar. My Vertix is quieter and with way less vibration and is slightly more fun to shoot due to less vibration and better draw cycle. Also, I shot my old and new arrows through both bows side by side and regardless of arrow, the Vertix was quieter with less vibration/hand shock.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
My first Mathews was a Q2 I bought new back in 01’. I loved it. It was a great upgrade from a PSE Fireflite Exoress that I had been shooting for about six years prior. Killed plenty of deer with it. After some time I sold it and bought a Drenalin and I also loved it and killed plenty of deer with it. Sold that and currently shooting a Halon 6 and it’s also a great bow but a little short on the ATA for my tall frame but still love the bow. I have a Traverse on the way and the Halon will be on the block after the holidays.

I’m sure you’ll be impressed with the advancement in bow technology. Even in the last five years it’s come a long way. Tuning, speed, draw curve, sound, ergonomics and many other design qualities have continued to evolve. But only you can make the decision. Go shoot some bows and decide what you think is best.

The Drenalin is a great bow and I was thinking of buying one as a backup bow but don’t be surprised if you come home with something new from the shop.

PennDude

FNG
I just replaced my 2008 Mathews DXT this year with a used Mathews Halon 32/6. I'll tell you what I gained.

1. Accuracy
2. Speed
3. Silence.

My DXT was a joy to shoot and killed a LOT of animals. However, it was a little slow for me. 250 fps with a 400 grain arrow. 27.5" draw length and 65lbs of draw weight. My DXT was also pretty twitchy due to the 28" ATA. I could never shoot it very well out past 35 yards.

Now, with my Halon 32/6, I'm hitting shafts at 35 yards and practicing all the way out to 70 yards. I'm also shooting 30 fps faster with my Halon, using the same arrows. I'm a lot more confident with my new Halon 32 and it's just a lot nicer shooting bow. Super smooth, dead silent, fast, zero vibration, dead in the hand. My new bow leaves me wanting nothing. Before you go buy a brand new bow, I'd urge you to shoot a Halon 32. I think they draw a lot nicer than the brand new Mathews bows with switch weight mods.

Agross

WKR
I'll be watching this thread closely I am in the exact same boat I am shooting a drenalin as well, have been for about 11 years Every year I say I'm gonna upgrade, but this bow has been so good to me. However I remember the difference when going from my old pse to the drenalin. Wonder if I will get the same when going from my drenalin to a much newer bow. I'm glad you posted this thread and look forward to watching it

Agross

WKR
I just replaced my 2008 Mathews DXT this year with a used Mathews Halon 32/6. I'll tell you what I gained.

1. Accuracy
2. Speed
3. Silence.

My DXT was a joy to shoot and killed a LOT of animals. However, it was a little slow for me. 250 fps with a 400 grain arrow. 27.5" draw length and 65lbs of draw weight. My DXT was also pretty twitchy due to the 28" ATA. I could never shoot it very well out past 35 yards.

Now, with my Halon 32/6, I'm hitting shafts at 35 yards and practicing all the way out to 70 yards. I'm also shooting 30 fps faster with my Halon, using the same arrows. I'm a lot more confident with my new Halon 32 and it's just a lot nicer shooting bow. Super smooth, dead silent, fast, zero vibration, dead in the hand. My new bow leaves me wanting nothing. Before you go buy a brand new bow, I'd urge you to shoot a Halon 32. I think they draw a lot nicer than the brand new Mathews bows with switch weight mods.

I eyed this bow for a good year and was very close to buying it several times I may have to shoot one as well when it's time to buy

PennDude

FNG
I eyed this bow for a good year and was very close to buying it several times I may have to shoot one as well when it's time to buy
The Drenalin and DXT are such similar bows. You're going to see a huge performance gain with the Halon 32. I honestly cannot stress how much more accurate I am with my Halon 32. It's pretty incredible. Best bow Mathews has ever made, IMO. Oh, and it's a barn burner too. It's faster than the Bowtech SR6 at 27.5" and 65# of draw. I compared them side by side when I was looking to buy.

Stalker69

WKR
The Drenalin is a nice bow. But weather you choose a mathews or some other brand you will most likely be upgrading, but not by a lot if that’s what your expecting. I have not shot my drenalin in a long time, but I do know the vertix and the VXR seem top heavy to me, the traverse seems much better to me. And if I was to stay with mathews would be my choice. If you get a chance shoot as many as you can, even if they are bows you think you won’t like. I never really paid much attention to prime but shot them a couple weeks ago, and I have not decided yet but I just might get it instead of the traverse. The only thing keeping me from the prime is the lack of being able to mount a tree limb quiver. And no body has the sharpa to see ( shop won’t even order one because they say they are junk) Which I can on the mathews, but the mathews quiver is really nice also. Go shoot them, you may be surprised, or not. There is nothing wrong with the drenalin, or the switch back. It’s a lot of $$$ now for the “ upgrade” but only you will know if it’s worth it.

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies so far. Hoping to get to the shop this week and do some shooting.

PennDude

FNG
Shoot an Elite Ritual if you have a dealer nearby. That was one of the bows I shot that really stood out. Just an incredible shooter. I shot the Ritual 35. Also comes in a 33 and 30 ATA.

Pezboat

WKR
Following. In the same boat. I bought an Outback in 2003 or so. I shot the 28” and 31” VXR last weekend. It kind of felt like cheating. Love my Outback, but curiosity killed the cat, right? It’s the 2nd now I’ve shot in 16 years. I didn’t buy it, but it was definitely more quiet, slightly more dead in hand, and obviously faster. Shooting a solo cam for the last 16 years, I was surprised by the draw cycle. Not as smooth as the solo cam, but speed makes up for that. The price tag is hard to swallow. Also, will a dealer let you shoot one out on their range? I got to shoot the VXR about 3 feet. I liked the 28” more, but would be interested to see how the 28” and 31” compare at 30-40 yards, accuracy-wise.

I bought a Hoyt Katera XL back in 2006-2007 I think. I'm planning to do some elk/mule deer hunts this next year and Ive decided its time for an upgrade. Going to look at a few new models this next week. I'm sure Ill come home with something.