Upgrade pack or binos first?

I have about $1000 to play with to upgrade some gear at the current moment. I feel like I'm lacking in the binoculars and pack department. I currently have 10x42 Leupold binos that were about $250 a few years ago. Not bad, not great. They work for what I do here in the east. My current pack in a surplus ILBE with a kifaru belt. It works but it's heavy. And hot.

I have a WY antelope hunt this fall, and we hopefully draw Montana deer tags next year. Based on what I have and what I'm doing in the near future what would you upgrade first?

Rokbar

WKR
$400 to a good pack here on the classified's. 10x42 leupies are pretty dang good. $600 for everything else.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
You probably won’t need a pack upgrade for your antelope hunt so I’d say binos! You could probably swing both if you look for some deals though. Or if you pushed your budget $150.

I’d put the money toward glass this year. You can pack a goat out with a Jansport if you really needed to

Jimss

WKR
I'd try to pick up nearly new stuff on classified section. You can always sell a Kifaru pack/frame and binos for almost what you pay for them. If you happen to have any old gear you don't use sell them to help pay for new gear.

I would also agree that you really don't need much of a backpack for antelope.

mproberts

WKR
Glass and for the money I'd buy a set of Zeiss conquest 10x42s... I think for the money they are better than the SLCs I upgraded to.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good glass is going to be essential for both of those hunts! You can glass a long ways in the sage country of Wyoming and Montana. Picking up bucks in low light in the sage can be difficult without good glass. The Conquest HDs are our top choice for that price range. The light transmission and edge to edge clarity is unmatched by any other binocular in that price range. Happy hunting!

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
You can buy both at the same time. 350-400 for pack. 600 will get you some really good glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thanks for the suggestions. I kind of figured glass first. I know I can get both for $1000 but I don't want to regret not getting the best glass or pack I reasonably can. I don't really need a pack for this year's hunt at all. I'll be able to buy a top end pack before next year anyways. I just can't do both before this season is all.

fatlander

WKR
You can’t pack anything out if you don’t first find it. Sounds like for the hunting you do, you need to save a little more money then buy good glass and a good tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sobrbiker

WKR
If you’re spending $1k and are going glass, I’d recommend considering what hunts beyond the antelope hunt on the horizon your future may hold, ie don’t blow your entire load on a specific job and then be lacking if you have more hunts with different requirements later.
I was in a similar situation and opted to upgrade to 12x50 to cover more bases later (and they’re not too big/heavy to carry on chest all the time). If I find myself in timber I’ve still got decent 10x42, and a spotter setup If I’ve gotta go real long. But the 12’s and a lightweight compact tripod cover most situations I foresee for me.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I went Maven C.3 and Mystery Ranch cabinet and a Pintler bag and filled (for me) what you’re looking at for under $1k

Popper

FNG
I'm a longtime lurker and I have spent a lot of time in the classifieds, I think you could do really well for 1000$ for both a pack and binos.

Jon