Upgrading Bino's - One Pair vs Two

So I've read a bunch of the "this or that" magnification threads and I'm not sure I'm any closer to making a decision here.

I currently have some Vortex Diamondback 10x42's and a Kowa TSN-602 (thanks Chris). I'm doing everything from big country mule deer glassing down still hunting thick timber for elk and whitetail in Washington state. Also glass a lot of burns with substantial new growth.

I noticed on a mule deer hunt this year I was really struggling to pick up deer that my buddy was picking up with 12x50 vipers, even after he directed me to them. And obviously, glassing with the Kowa is only tolerable for so long. Here's what I'm thinking:

Option 1:
Sell the 10x42's and get 12x50's. This one is the simplest and has the least impact on the wallet...but I feel like it'll leave me wanting a bit on both ends of the spectrum. Wanting more in big country and less in the thick stuff. Or if I kept the 10x's, are the 12x's a big enough magnification increase to justify the cost? That leads to option 2...

Option 2:
Keep the 10x42's (for now) and get 15x56's. I'm leaning towards this option. The real limiting factor here is my budget. Something like the Maven C4's at $700 would be the max I could afford. Though it's a little hard finding all the 15x options in one place to understand what all is out there. I'd probably eventually upgrade the Diamondbacks in this option as well. And bookmark a classifieds search for "15x" to check every day. The 15x's would be used almost exclusively on a tripod.

Thoughts? Other suggestions? Anyone want to give me a pair of 15x's or 12x's? I'm pretty bad at this hunting thing so you could probably write it off as a charitable donation.

Grundy53

WKR
I prefer option 2. I like the 10x42 for the timber and thicker stuff and 15x56 for open country.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Look in the Optics classifieds, multiple binos on there similar to what you're looking for at great prices!

Quality glass trumps magnification. That being said id buy the best hand held binos you can. Whether its 8x, 10x or 12x you cant go wrong of they are good glass. And down the road worry about a pair of 15’s. Im a 12x guy but id rather have swaro 8x’s then viper 12’s ( not bashing vipers its just a comparision most are familiar with)

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Look in the Optics classifieds, multiple binos on there similar to what you're looking for at great prices!
Seeing mostly over budget items and the cheaper vortex options in the classifieds currently.

Whatever you buy, make sure they are swaro’s….
Haha I wish, just not sure I could pick out a bedded buck in old burn new growth from a mile away with 10x magnification. I could do it with the Kowa so I know it's possible. I also only have so many kidneys that I can sell...

I should add i started with diamond backs then jumped to maven b-2’s which are a razor equivilant. If possible i think thats your best bet is save up and sell all your optics to get to that $1000 tier. You dont need alpha glass those $1000 binos are phenominal. And down the road you can worry about whether you want to take the alpha plunge to phenomeler glass

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Following. In a similar situation myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say option 2.

My most used setup is 10x42s around the neck and 15x56 on a tripod. This is the setup I would recommend to anyone. The 15s on a tripod in western hunting is my favorite setup. My 10s are for general viewing while hiking to glassing spot and quick glances when stalking. I may get a lighter pair of 8s.

I tried the 12x50 and felt it wasn’t as good in either arena for me personally. Not great for hand holding, and giving up too much fov for stalking. While on the tripod, I kept wishing I had the 15s with me. Just my opinion. Either way you go, try to get the best glass you can afford.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I would say option 2.

My most used setup is 10x42s around the neck and 15x56 on a tripod. This is the setup I would recommend to anyone. The 15s on a tripod in western hunting is my favorite setup. My 10s are for general viewing while hiking to glassing spot and quick glances when stalking. I may get a lighter pair of 8s.

I tried the 12x50 and felt it wasn’t as good in either arena for me personally. Not great for hand holding, and giving up too much fov for stalking. While on the tripod, I kept wishing I had the 15s with me. Just my opinion. Either way you go, try to get the best glass you can afford.

Funny enough, I just read the Optics section in @robby denning 's book where he repeats that mantra "buy the best glass you can afford". Since I put together a pretty expensive rifle set up (for me at least) this year, under $1000 is what I can afford. But I still want the low power/high power versatility. Glad to hear someone else likes this setup.

Shraggs

WKR
It’s hard when lack funds hinders you, there myself.

I have varied hunting too for game, geography and open vs timber. No way I can do one bino, if I would it would be 8x42/44.

I have 6x30, 8x30, 8x40rf, 12x50 and 15x56 and use them differently. All are alpha except the 6x leupold. Taken me a very long time with a strategy buying new, discounted and used.

I’d stick to your plan of two, do what you have to now but maybe set a goal so your always shopping for glass for the next 5 years. You’ll eventually find an alpha or a B item you want used.

kota

FNG
I would say option 2.

I agree with everything said here. I used 10x and 15x for a long time and loved the combo. All my hunting partners are now 15x converts as well. The only catch is that 15x may leave you wanting for some magnification at long distances. It would be worth looking to see if they make an optical doubler for the 15x and how it performs.

I always carried a spotter as well, and only got rid of that setup because I got tired of lugging 3 pieces of glass around.

I tried 12x as a way to replace both the 10 and 15, and got rid of them after 1 season. They didn’t have the oomph of the 15s on a tripod, and were not good enough freehand in tight quarters when still hunting or trying to relocate a buck on a stalk.

PlanoDano

FNG
I sold 8x and 12x and bought 10x RF (fury). I will probably add a 15x if the right black friday deal pops up.

I'm actually going through the exact same thing, with Diamondback 10x42s that were painfully inadequate next to a friend's Viper 12x50s on a couple trips last year.

12x was a lot easier to line up and hold steady than I expected, but since even 10x is feeling a bit overpowered in the thick stuff, I decided to order some Maven b.5 15x56s for tripod/truck and will probably upgrade the Diamondbacks with something 8 or 9x eventually.

Agross

WKR
What about maven b2 11 x 45. Thought there were some in the classifieds around your price range. or the meopta meostar 12x50 listed right now.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Seeing mostly over budget items and the cheaper vortex options in the classifieds currently.

Haha I wish, just not sure I could pick out a bedded buck in old burn new growth from a mile away with 10x magnification. I could do it with the Kowa so I know it's possible. I also only have so many kidneys that I can sell...

Sure can. It’s pretty amazing what can be done with high quality glass. There will be one guy in a thousand that has had the best and he can do just as well with lower quality glass. But he’s a liar.

Once you have a top tier Leica, Swarovski, or Zeiss you don’t have to go thru these endless “what if” scenarios. How many years of hunting to you have left? 20? 50? How much is that going to cost you per year over that time? $20? $50? Got to look long term…

Heck, there are endless 12 month same as cash offers out there, look into that. Or put $50 or $100 a month away and you are there.

Invest in yourself my man.

TheHammer

WKR
All depends on the type of hunting you are going to do. I wouldn’t buy anything without going and handling a few options to see what you like. Especially If you are on a 700$ budget. I rarely carry my 12s anymore and actually carry a 10x28 more often then not. So my vote is to keep your existing glass unless you have a 7x range finder which works awesome as glass in tight places(sub 300yds) even at lower light. But find something in the 12+ range with decent quality.