Upgrading last gen X-curve to new locking power pulls?

I see the latest version of the x-curve comes with new buckles that lock at the sides of the hips rather than at the buckle in front. I had a kuiu frame in the past that did the same thing, and its definitely something I missed when I switched to the SG, and I've been trying to come up with a way to convert it. I think I have the solution, but before I go messing anything up, I'd like some thoughts and/or opinions..

Below is how the "power pull" is configured on my frame when the 2" waist strap is taken out.. the tri-slide buckle is attached to the frame with a loop that is sewn in.

y6vyAHC.jpg

eH4Vy42.jpg

My idea is to cut that tri-slide off (by cutting a small slot in the middle bar and sliding the strap off of it), and then buy a 2" ladder loc buckle (something like this https://na.itwnexus.com/content/gt-ruck) and cut a small groove in the bar and slipping it onto that loop. Then when I feed my waist strap back through it, it should work exactly like the new SG version (or Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru).. Right?

I see the latest version of the x-curve comes with new buckles that lock at the sides of the hips rather than at the buckle in front. I had a kuiu frame in the past that did the same thing, and its definitely something I missed when I switched to the SG, and I've been trying to come up with a way to convert it. I think I have the solution, but before I go messing anything up, I'd like some thoughts and/or opinions..

Below is how the "power pull" is configured on my frame when the 2" waist strap is taken out.. the tri-slide buckle is attached to the frame with a loop that is sewn in.

y6vyAHC.jpg

eH4Vy42.jpg

My idea is to cut that tri-slide off (by cutting a small slot in the middle bar and sliding the strap off of it), and then buy a 2" ladder loc buckle (something like this https://na.itwnexus.com/content/gt-ruck) and cut a small groove in the bar and slipping it onto that loop. Then when I feed my waist strap back through it, it should work exactly like the new SG version (or Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru).. Right?
Give us a call at the Stone Glacier shop when you have time- 406-404-0641 ask for Phil or Ryan

I just used these to replace the looploc on my IA Integrous frame. I'm sure it would work with the SG belt. They are 5 bucks for two buckles.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
i did what your talking about with one i had years ago...

xGpLMl4.jpg

also did this and it seemed to work..

vZO8Q4B.jpg

but id give Phil a call first!

OP
cornfedkiller
i did what your talking about with one i had years ago...

xGpLMl4.jpg

also did this and it seemed to work..

vZO8Q4B.jpg

but id give Phil a call first!

I tried your bottom pic a couple years ago and it didn't really accomplish anything that wasn't already being done since the locking point was still on the center buckle. Your first pic is pretty much how mine would end up, but I'd get rid of that tri-slide all together since it would no longer be necessary..

I called SG and talked to Ryan, and they told me to just send my belt in to them and they'd upgrade it and send it back to me and all I had to pay for was shipping. Problem solved. The guys at SG are awesome!

OP
cornfedkiller
Keep us posted if it works!

Got my belt back from SG this morning.. They had it at their shop about a day and sent it back. I actually can't tell if they upgraded mine or just sent me a new one, but either way, its now updated!

The locking buckles on the sides are a big improvement IMO. They now lock at the pivot point rather than in the middle, it locks down super solid (not that the old configuration didn't), and its much easier to loosen when you want to take the belt off.. The only downside I've found is that it after you loosen it, the straps slide so freely through the buckle that it loosens itself all the way up, leaving you only a little tab to grab the next time you want to cinch it up. I also need to work on bending the little tail outward so it develops some memory that way, otherwise it won't always catch on the buckle and could slip through. There was another thread on here a few weeks ago where a guy had lost his buckle while on a hunt in Turkey, and I can see how that could happen.