Upland Boots - Insulated or Uninsulated

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to buy some new all leather boots that I'd use for multiple purposes including upland hunting, late September archery elk (Idaho & Montana), and spring turkey . Crispi boots fit my feet really well so I'm looking at the Nevada GTX and trying to decide between 200g insulated or uninsulated.

Most of my upland hunting will be pheasant and quail in Kansas and Nebraska in December and January. I'm also looking at doing an Idaho chukar hunt next year. For those of you that hunt these kind of time frames, do you prefer insulated or non?

WCB

WKR
I have the Crispi Wyoming uninsulated and have hunted through December on active type hunts (mule deer, predator, upland). No way I would ever use insulated boots for active hunting.

jzelk

FNG
Uninsulated. I hunt ND Oct-Dec in -10 to 50s and do not have any problems with uninsulated when upland hunting. If its in the teens or lower and you stopped moving for an hour or so, then the feet start getting cold.

Wassid82

WKR
I always use uninsulated as well. Good wool socks will keep warm and dray

slvrslngr

WKR
Another vote for uninsulated. If I’m bird hunting, I’m moving to keep up with my dog. If I’m moving, my feet stay warm.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
I just started using the Danner Sierra boot this year for Upland hunting. It's only 200gr thinsulate and I find it just enough to take the edge off from chilly feet over too much insulation.

I have hunted upland from 20-80*. I would say I insulated. I came back from a Kansas trip where I wore my crispi Idahoes. Good support and tall enough to wear with brush pants and not worry about crap getting in the top.

Mosby

WKR
My leather boots are uninsulated. For wet, muddy and/or cold weather I have a pair of Muck upland boots that are waterproof and warm.

Last edited:

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I must be getting old with slowed down circulation. When I am hiking in 0 to 10 degree temps., I can barely keep my feet from hurting with uninsulated boots. If I slow down or stop it get painful, especially in snow.

I wear insulated PAC type boots with heavy socks, or at a minimum wear insulated leather boots under cold conditions. I manage body heat by opening my jacket or taking off clothing layers.

ODB

WKR
No insulation. Quite often cold feet are due to boots that are too small or tied too tight, restricting blood flow, or boots that are too hot where your feet sweat and when you stop the moisture wicks your heat out.

A tip you didn’t ask for: when I start out on a cold day, I do not tighten the lower half of my boot at all - just from the ankle up. Yes my foot moves a bit but it allows lots of warm blood from my core to circulate. Only after about 30min do I even think of tightening them and then not a lot.

LukiLanda

FNG
Looking to buy some new all leather boots that I'd use for multiple purposes including upland hunting, late September archery elk (Idaho & Montana), and spring turkey . Crispi boots fit my feet really well so I'm looking at the Nevada GTX and trying to decide between 200g insulated or uninsulated.

Most of my upland hunting will be pheasant and quail in Kansas and Nebraska in December and January. I'm also looking at doing an Idaho chukar hunt next year. For those of you that hunt these kind of time frames, do you prefer insulated or non?
Not sure if found boots or not. I have a pair of Crispi briksdal SF. Insulated 200g Size 10. Only used one time.

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I run hunt CO and KS Nov, Dec, and Jan and all kinds of weather and prefer uninsulated with goretex lining. If it gets cold I'll use gaiters to increase the warmth factor 99% of the time. If I'm in really cold and wet conditions I have used my La Cross lite winter Pac style leather upper boot with rubber lowers with 600g insulation but almost never use them. I keep them in the duffle just in case. Good luck.

OP
GreenNDark Timber

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going with the uninsulated Nevadas. Wore them in KS quail hunting last week with temps in low 20s and warmth was no issue, unfortunately the fit is much different than my Thors. Had pretty bad blisters after 2 days of hunting. I'm hoping they're just stiffer and will take a bit to break in so I'll Leuko tape up for a few more hunts and hope for the best.