Upland boots

Boch5473

FNG
Hey fellas, 1st post! Awesome site with lots of good reads. I just returned from 2 wks pheasant hunting S. Dakota and flat wore out my boots ( Salomon quest 4d gtx) granted this was my 3 yr wearing them out there thru warm weather to snow. Thinking about investing in a pair of Crispi Dakota's or lapponia but just not sure which. Any ideas or other boots to consider? Thanks

I have been running kenetrek and really like them. I haven’t tried the ones you listed above so I can’t comment on those.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
A pair of danner grouse boots really impressed me during a week of chasing grouse in WI this year, but they are probably a bit more than needed for most western upland hunting.

OP
B

Boch5473

FNG
I've tried the danner grouse boots on and they didn't feel comfortable to me. I've looked into the Lows renegade gtx and have seen that shortly they will release a 8" version of the renegade, so that is also a option a will look into.

Spoonbill

WKR
I have the Crispi Dakotas, they are a great boot, but they are stiffer than the Quest 4ds. Great boots, Especially if you are hiking up and down hills.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Lapponias and love them, although I’ve not worn them for upland hunts. I think they would work well - but I also just bought the Navadas which I may wear for upland, deer and other relatively “flat country” outings.

OP
B

Boch5473

FNG
There is plenty of flat land where we bird hunt along the Missouri River, lots of walking and you never know what the weather will be. One day t-shirt and the next break out the cold gear. Just looking for a good comfortable, waterproof boot that's lightweight and durable. Lol I guess everyone is looking for those.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
The Lapponias are very light. And I’ve worn them in the mountains and they are comfortable. I recently looked for boots for elk and flat land and while I never saw them, I found a "new" model of Zamberlans - the 1112 Cresta Alta GTX RR that appear to be more for upland

OP
B

Boch5473

FNG
Looking on the Lowa boot site seen where they are about to release a 8" version of the renegade gtx. I will probably wait to get a look at these before deciding which boot to purchase.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Lowa's and I have hard feet to find a boot for in that I wear a 15 B I think I'm on about year 5 with my current boot.

Tex68w

WKR
I wore a lot of Lowa's in the Army and I couldn't get them to last. I am currently using some Danner's that I can't seem to kill but I won't be replacing them with the same. I wear Chippewa Snake boots a large portion of the year down here so they get the most use. I had some Kenetrek's in the past and they weren't comfortable on my foot so they went on down the road. I am picking up some Hoffman Pac boots next.

Mosby

WKR
I use Lowa's for most of my elk hunting. For small game I have a pair of Irish Setters that are all leather upland boots. They are comfortable. I like them enough that I bought another pair last week.

I don't like to have vibram type soles on my upland boots. Too much mud.

I run Lowa Tibets, they're great but the soles are very stiff. Replacement insoles are a must. They don't grip well in cold weather on rocky terrain, I bought them for chukar hunting so a bit of a disappointment.

Irish Setter Trailblazer is my boot of choice. Just like the Elk Tracker but it's 7" instead of 10" and uninsulated. It's an all leather, stitched sole and they have orthotic footbeds at the Red Wing store where I shop that make them really fit my feet well. I have several pairs of stiffer mountain hunting boots that I have worn in the past but these just work better for me when walking miles and miles without a pack on and not much elevation change. If it's super cold and snowy I wear the schnees pack boots.

RCL

WKR
I really like wedge soles for upland hunting. Just hate lugs loading up with mud.
Thorogood and Carolina boots are my choice and made in USA.

Tex68w

WKR
I really like wedge soles for upland hunting. Just hate lugs loading up with mud.
Thorogood and Carolina boots are my choice and made in USA.
I wear Thoroghgood's for work, they are amazing wedge sole work boots, but I could never use them in the field, zero traction.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi Nevada's are hands down the best boots I've ever used. They're the most comfortable boot I've ever owned, and the stiffness of the sole makes and uphill or side hilling much easier. I'm on my 3rd season in them hunting upland, elk, whitetail, turkey, mushrooms, and they are still water proof. If you treat them right, they will last a long time!

hobbes

WKR
The wedge sole boots look comfortable but at least half my season is frozen ground and snow with some fairly steep draws in some places that I hunt roosters. I'm afraid they'd be nearly like skis. I currently use my non insulated kenetrek. If it gets too cold, I sometimes wear a pair of Columbia pack boots, but don't prefer them.

Last edited:
I love my Danners but after 10 miles my feet always hurt. I recently bought the Merrell Moab 2, wide, and bought the Superfeet Trailblazer insoles. So far I'm really impressed and my feet have thanked me.