Upland boots

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I use kennetrek insulated because that’s what I big game hunt with. My buddy uses Zamberlans (non insulated) with the BOA laces and loves them.
before the kennetreks I used the lows renegades, I like them but the stitching wasn’t as durable as I would have liked.

Hey fellas, 1st post! Awesome site with lots of good reads. I just returned from 2 wks pheasant hunting S. Dakota and flat wore out my boots ( Salomon quest 4d gtx) granted this was my 3 yr wearing them out there thru warm weather to snow. Thinking about investing in a pair of Crispi Dakota's or lapponia but just not sure which. Any ideas or other boots to consider? Thanks
I really like my Crispi's . One thing that has worked for me is buying several pair and finding what fits my foot the best

Natetnc

FNG
Yeah, depends on what fits your foot best..... a boot that is bombproof sucks if they are uncomfortable. I put a ton of miles on a pair of danner sharptails and they never leaked, they were lightweight and bombproof. If danner is not a good fit definitely look elsewhere. The sharptails are a little different profile then the typical danner though so might work.

NY16ga

FNG
I used Lowa Renegades years ago and they were just a little too short and too flexible for me. I had a pair of Lowa Rangers that really worked for me for bird hunting though. Enough ankle support, height, and stiffness without feeling like super stiff mountain boots. It took me a long time to wear them out and now I use Crispi Nevada's, which actually fit me a little better (I have wide feet) and are also very versatile. Comfortable enough to put in a lot of miles on the prairie, tall enough to handle the damp woodcock cover we have here in the east, supportive/stiff enough to climb around steep hills and logging slash looking for grouse.

ptwysocki

FNG
for me, it really breaks down to where I'm hunting...

flat land / prairie fields / preserve grounds: Thorogood or Salomon 4d GTX...Thorogood is a great boot - tough. If it'll be more brush busting terrain that's flat and doesnt require traction, ill reach for Thorogood (preserve hunt for example). If it's expected to be dry, and I wont be pushing through brush fields and worrying about debris in my boot, ill run the salomons. Both are super comfortable.

More technical terrain: If it's going to be brushy and cold/wet, Crispi guide. The 10" helps keep crap out of my boots since my pants run a tad shorter. The light insulation is perfect for colder hunts. Offers plenty of support, not tooooo heavy, and great construction. If it's not brushy and more rocky terrain, I'll reach for the Nevadas (I dont like a boot too stiff, but Idaho works well here too).

As you can see, there's 3 boots I listed that will run you 1k+ altogether. One boot that is really the only one I've seen do a little bit of everything pretty well actually is the schnees timberline. Great mountain boot that is still very flexible and not uncomfortable to run on flat easy walking days chasing placed ditch chickens or quail ;)

Wassid82

WKR
I'm trying out the zamberlands this year. I have been using salmon and really like them but they only lasted me 2.5 years and I'm hoping for longer life. I might come back to them because they were so comfortable

CKillmer

FNG
I ran the Danner Sharptails this season. They held up great and are super comfortable. I have considered going the a medium flex mountain boot to try a get more support and grip.

tgoode

FNG
Enjoying backpacking and birdhunting I like to find a boot that I can use for both. Some great feeback already provided here. The lighter weight boots keep your feet and muscles less strained at the end of the day but I find that with the sewn together, multi-piece boots tend to break apart and seems come unstiched sooner than 1 peace leather boots. Pros and cons for each I guess. My only recommendation is I like a boot with a good rubber toe rand that will stand up to all of the days afield, walking through the grass and brush. When you land on a pair that you like and works for you go ahead and buy a 2nd pair ......before they change the design.

ptwysocki

FNG
Enjoying backpacking and birdhunting I like to find a boot that I can use for both. Some great feeback already provided here. The lighter weight boots keep your feet and muscles less strained at the end of the day but I find that with the sewn together, multi-piece boots tend to break apart and seems come unstiched sooner than 1 peace leather boots. Pros and cons for each I guess. My only recommendation is I like a boot with a good rubber toe rand that will stand up to all of the days afield, walking through the grass and brush. When you land on a pair that you like and works for you go ahead and buy a 2nd pair ......before they change the design.
Im in your boat -- check out the schnees timberline...solid boot that;s actually pretty light given the design (all leather + toe rand).

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
They aren’t designed specifically for upland hunting or hunting in general but a pair of waterproof twisted x shoes is what I’d wear. Very comfortable to wear all day and walk as far as you want and your feet won’t get wet with dew or small puddles. I’ve taken them rabbit hunting several times this past season and they performed very well.

upacreek

FNG
Just like Mosby - I love my Lowa's for the mountains but I've got the Irish Setter Wingshooters that are great for dry upland hunts. If it's snowy I'll probably bring the Lowas.

Im a lowa guy and have the Tibet’s but their Baldo is the best boot out there. Their tread pattern is unique and works better than anything I’ve used and they’re a great balance of weight vs sturdiness. I do go through them in 1-2 seasons but that’s a lot of desert Chukar and mtn big game.