Upland conditions CA 2021

Hunted some beautiful areas this weekend and Monday from the Sierras to the border of MX and what I saw was low birds numbers and largely hold overs from last year. One example was an area that held multiple coveys totaling >200+ birds had a showing of 5. My theory is moisture and the timing, seemed it hit late in the season July-September and didn’t give the hatch the bugs and greenery they needed to survive. Curious others experience and what months they believe moisture needs to hit to help with recruitment.
cheers guy

Billinsd

WKR
I haven't been out there yet, however, Eastern San Diego county looks great, good rain last year, however the Mojave for Quail and Chukar is bad in the reports I've heard, just holdover birds.

OP
Sierra Hunter
I haven't been out there yet, however, Eastern San Diego county looks great, good rain last year, however the Mojave for Quail and Chukar is bad in the reports I've heard, just holdover birds.
Seen some decent bird numbers here in SD but not like last year

timr00ger

FNG
Went out in San Diego County today. Went to a spot I hunted turkey this spring, and was expecting to see quail/dove. No birds seen, very minimal sign. May just be a bit too dry in the area.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Been putting in the miles both behind the wheel and on the ground and have drawn the conclusion it’s brutal here in the southwest. Been thinking of making trips to NV to hunt Chukar as I saw the counts looked good from DFG or central cal for valleys. Anyone have feedback on if they’ve seen decent bird numbers or if the draught was less impactful?