Upland & Duck hunting shotgun

Other than the Ithaca 37, other scatterguns in my collection that get the nod include the Benelli Super 90, Ithaca-SKB model 100 SxS (PHENOMENAL), and Savage 330 O/U by Valmet.

The earlier (pre import) 870 Wingmasters can be very good as well as the bottom eject Browning BPS.

Mossberg 500s are heavy duty and mostly reliable. However, the actions are rough, the fit and finish isn't great, and the top mounted safety is prone to seizing up when debris enters the action. I have to diassemble and clean my buddies every couple of years when the safety jambs up rendering the gun useless.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Just a suggestion from an FNG... Go and get fitted for your shotgun. Find the one that seats nicely in your shoulder, has a comfortable LoP, and swings smoothly.

Pay once, cry once. Get the right gun.

Just a suggestion from an FNG... Go and get fitted for your shotgun. Find the one that seats nicely in your shoulder, has a comfortable LoP, and swings smoothly.

Pay once, cry once. Get the right gun.
Agree with the approach. However, it is absolutely unnecessary to spend more than $500 or so on a first shotgun. I guarantee you can kill birds just as dead with a more affordable used gun than a brand new Ruger Red Label, Silver Pigeon, 101, etc... for $1,000+. These are shotguns not tack driving MOA rifles.

Get the right gun without suffering buyer's remorse when your buddy with an old 870 kills more birds than you.

lacire

FNG
I’ve shot a 1968 Belgium made Browning A5 in 20ga with a 28” Miroku invector choked barrel for years, it’s a 7lb. gun and has very mild recoil even with 3” shells. My son has had a 20ga Beretta A400 for the last couple of years and we both really like it, also mild recoil. But after I picked up a Benelli Ethos in 20ga with a 26” barrel there was no going back. This gun just fit me so well I bought it, super light weight, mine is 5lbs 12oz unloaded and after using it, the Beretta and Browning now just feel chunky. The ergonomics on this Benelli are just a lot nicer. I’ve shot everything from 2 3/4” 7/8oz target to 3” 1 5/8oz turkey loads without a problem. FYI, I’m not recoil sensitive but the 3” 1 5/8oz is a stiff load in such a light gun so just beware. Also the gun is a snap to breakdown and clean so l’m sold. I’ve had no regrets on this one.

Attachments

• 6C19DC93-7C2E-4921-8BC2-BD638394E6D0.jpeg
    6C19DC93-7C2E-4921-8BC2-BD638394E6D0.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I had a 25% off coupon from Sportsman’s that I used to get a Weatherby Element 12 ga synthetic. I have a Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge but wanted something for a knock around gun in bad weather. I actually really like it, it’s light and easy to carry and has been reliable.