Upland & Duck hunting shotgun

I appreciate the confidence and I think you’re right. I’m hunting with a SS now and am looking forward to a third shot on those damn Chukar flushes.
I think you’ll really like that Affinity 20. I really like mine. I shoot it at ducks doves and upland.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
My first all around gun was a 2 3/4" 12 ga auto Charles Daly made in Japan, It broke 7-8 years ago after shooting upwards of 10,000 birds and I had it for over 40 years at the time, I've since had it repaired and retired it to the gun cabinet. About 25 years ago I bought my first purposeful waterfowl gun a 12 ga Browning BPS fully skinned, It was bought because I was middle gun in blinds and on the boat and bottom eject was needed. It fit me well and I still use it today hunting 70+ days for waterfowl. My current pheasant gun is a Browning Maxus in 12 ga it fits me like a glove, I shoot it every week in the summer for a local dog pro and it hasn't missed a bird in almost two years. On SoDak pheasants it is deadly as well, its swing is perfect for the larger birds. My O/U is an old Charles Daly that I bought for the 2004 National Amateur Championship that I invited to shoot at in 12 ga. This gun was fitted to me and I can't remember exactly what they did but length of pull was increased, its like pointing your finger shooting this gun. On Quail the last few years it worked on killing them but was too much gun even with the lightest loads.

My point is that all these guns were perfect fitting and they have worked flawlessly for many years, the guns I feel are far better than I am as a shot and I'm trying to get to their level.

The A400 is a wonderful gun and will work well as a general purpose gun, It is built stockier so carrying all day it might not be the best choice in an upland environment. In a duck blind it should work great, if you need a quick pointing gun for quail and such there are better choices out there, but it will work.

I have a lot of 20 ga and 16 ga guns as well, some fit better than others and I try to match the ga to the bird.

Run both a Beretta A300 and A400. Love them and use them for turkey, dove, quail, and waterfowl.

Shoulder lots of shotguns and see which fits you the best.

Beretta A300 has been a great gun for me. Swings great and is not to heavy. No one needs 3.5 inch to waterfowl hunt anyways. Highly recommend especially if you can find it on sale. 4-5 years ago my brother and I both found one for $600. Who knows in todays market...... Looks like they'e about $700-$900 depending on finish.

OMB

WKR
Hard to beat a montefeltro for an all around gun.

Agreed, especially at the price point, not sure there's a better inertia driven auto. I've put thousands of rounds through mine from ducks/sharptails in Saskatchewan to doves in Kentucky and pretty much everything in between. Mine also looks like it's been everywhere at this point as well, so if I were using it for waterfowl much I would get the synthetic stock version. A Benelli M2 would also be an awesome choice for this application.

Biggest thing on shotguns is to handle and/or shoot as many as possible before committing to something at or above your price point. Join an org like Ducks Unlimited/Ruffed Grouse Society/Pheasants Forever and go to local chapter meetings if you need to meet guys with a variety of shotguns. Forums/advice can point in the right direction, and with enough practice you can shoot any shotgun reasonably well, but I have way more fun shooting the shotguns I've picked out or had fitted. My Montefeltro's and Beretta 686 all feel like natural extensions of my body when they come to the shoulder.

I really like my Stoeger m3500. I hunt primarily waterfowl with it but have hunted quail, dove, and turkeys with it, and it does it all just fine. I duck hunt probably 20+ days a season and have been doing that with this stoeger for 3 seasons. The only problems I be have with it have been my own fault. You won’t win any beauty contests with it, but they are an affordable tried and true semi-automatic shotgun. I have hunted with my buddies sbe 3, and I have to say they have the ergonomics down on this gun but it doesn’t justify 2x the price tag over my stoeger to me. I have heard great things about the Franchi affinity but have never shot one.

Last edited:
i vote for the benelli as well. will this be used in salt water for waterfowl at all? if salt i would move towards a coated shotgun and not a blued/wood.

if used in salt, maybe a sb3 or m2

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to get a Montefeltro and ended up with a M2 since it shouldered better for me and just felt more natural to handle. I really liked the feel of the Ethos as well but it is shiny and I was trying to keep it under 2k out the door.

Didn't care for the way the A400 felt in my hands (prefer the weight in the back end rather than the front) but the 686 I've shot felt great. I've got a vintage Sears side by side I inherited and have shot fairly well for 25 years. Heavier than a modern gun but it goes bang and isn't miserable to carry around the woods as long as lead is allowed there.

Its all subjective. Can't go wrong with any of the Italian made guns IMO (Benelli, Beretta, Franchi). Handle a bunch and go with the one that shoulders best in your budget.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to get a Montefeltro and ended up with a M2 since it shouldered better for me and just felt more natural to handle. I really liked the feel of the Ethos as well but it is shiny and I was trying to keep it under 2k out the door.

Didn't care for the way the A400 felt in my hands (prefer the weight in the back end rather than the front) but the 686 I've shot felt great. I've got a vintage Sears side by side I inherited and have shot fairly well for 25 years. Heavier than a modern gun but it goes bang and isn't miserable to carry around the woods as long as lead is allowed there.

Its all subjective. Can't go wrong with any of the Italian made guns IMO (Benelli, Beretta, Franchi). Handle a bunch and go with the one that shoulders best in your budget.
I had a M2 and couldn't hit a barn door with it (stepped rib). Montefeltro fits my eye a lot better.

Nothing wrong with any of the big name shotguns. For me it's about fit and sight. I like a 50/50 pattern gun. I shoot more waterfowl than upland birds. Most upland guys run a higher ribbed barrel that gives them a 60/40 pattern.
This is why I sold my M2 in lieu of a montefeltro camo. Love it. Shoots 50-50 just like my O/U

Wassid82

WKR
I am looking to purchase my first real hunting shotgun. I've borrowed for years and figured its time to buy my own.

I want a good all-around gun. Wondering if this Beretta is a good option for use in both upland and waterfowl hunting?

Any pros/cons of barrel lengths or is this just a personal preference of gun size? Any other recommendations?
I have several shot guns in different gauge and size to accolade my family of hunters. I think there are good guns for individuals and hunting situations the guns we use are: stoeger, stevens, ruger, benelli, Remington, browning, and beretta. I think the a400 is the best all around gun. We hunt turkey,upland and waterfowl. If I were required to only use 1 gun it would be the a400. I thought I would only be a browning guy but you can’t argue with results. My hunting buddy uses a a300 and it is very nice as well

Sammy_37

FNG
I love my Franchi 12 for upland but wouldnt mind a slightly lighter 20/28. Would love to shoot it for waterfowl but may miss having that 3rd shot. Classic 870 has served me well for waterfowl

sfotiades

FNG
Big fan of the Benelli M2 in 20 gauge and a nice o/u. I just got Briley set of tubes in a barrette 687 20 gauge and it’s a lot of fun to take in the field.

A400 is a good gun my buddy loves his. I personally like the Winchester sx4 or sx3, but you won’t go wrong with a beretta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

870 wingmaster (12) I've had for decades and an American Arms Gentry SxS (20) also owned for decades. Love them both and haven't shot much else. The Gentry is actually spanish made so it's my poor folk's bespoke after I had a gunsmith help fit that stock to me. After the fitting it shot great for me...before it was pretty but harmless to birds.

Whatever gun you pick make sure it fits you and comes up under your eye after the fitting.

I am looking to purchase my first real hunting shotgun. I've borrowed for years and figured its time to buy my own.

I want a good all-around gun. Wondering if this Beretta is a good option for use in both upland and waterfowl hunting?

Any pros/cons of barrel lengths or is this just a personal preference of gun size? Any other recommendations?
I'll be the odd man out here. I'm a big fan of the Ithaca featherlight M37 in 12 gauge. The gun is bottom ejecting and loaded from the bottom. It's a very old tried true design based on the old legendary m37 shotgun. It is legendary for its butter smooth function reliable action accuracy - build quality. They started making it in Ohio again quite a few years back all American made. It is John Moses Browning who designed this action - system. I got the 30" barrel with vent rib A grade stock. It also came with an assortment of very high quality chokes. One unique feature is the interrupted threads on the receiver and barrel it is threaded like some rifles are for that connection. I haven't seen that on any other shotguns even ones double its price. Most tend to use a lug system which allow for more barrel movement under recoil. This overbuilt connection makes for a very accurate gun of any sort to say the least. The mechanism is tried and true the fit and finish is top notch. This gun has no heat solderless machining design also not common today. Especially in concerns to the forcing cone in barrel. I like you was looking for an all around shotgun. The longer barrel I prefer and some call it a matter of preference. I will always choose a longer shotgun. I prefer 30" gun over a shorter one. I don't do much rabbit hunting so I'm not crawling through brush kicking em up where a shorter barrel gives more freedom of movement. No need for the short barrel but rabbit can be done with a longer gun and correct choke. I want this thing to be able to knock high flying phesants out of the sky ducks ect. With its long barrel and full choke it will knock a turkey down dead in its tracks. You also have plenty of high quality specialty choke options. Chances are you won't be able to find one of these new Ohio guns in any gun shop. You will most likely have to order it and have it transferred by the shop-place with an FFL to you. It will quickly become the talk of the whole room being compared to some of their top shotguns on shelf. The only gun that I can compare this one to is the legendary Winchester model 12 pump. I still wish I would never hqve got rid of that shotgun. This gun does everything that one did and much more. I would only take the model 12 Winchester due to its rarity over the new Ithaca. Anyone that knows guns would say that's a tall order to compare any pump shotgun made today to the Winchester model 12. The Ithaca is the only shotgun I've ever held and used that I would. It's a bit pricy but worth it you get what you pay for with guns in my experience. Not many making this quality of pump shotguns in todays flooded market. Hope this helps in your hunt good luck. If you want to see these guns in action let me know. I've got plenty of photos of myself and two brothers with em. We knock down plenty of turkey and phesants with the Ithaca 12s each year.

Last edited:
I'll be the odd man out here. I'm a big fan of the Ithaca featherlight M37 in 12 gauge. The gun is bottom ejecting and loaded from the bottom. It's a very old tried true design based on the old legendary m37 shotgun. It is legendary for its butter smooth function reliable action accuracy - build quality. They started making it in Ohio again quite a few years back all American made. It is John Moses Browning who designed this action - system. I got the 30" barrel with vent rib A grade stock. It also came with an assortment of very high quality chokes. One unique feature is the interrupted threads on the receiver and barrel it is threaded like some rifles are for that connection. I haven't seen that on any other shotguns even ones double its price.

This gun does everything that one did and much more. I would only take the model 12 Winchester due to its rarity over the new Ithaca. Anyone that knows guns would say that's a tall order to compare any pump shotgun made today to the Winchester model 12. The Ithaca is the only shotgun I've ever held and used that I would. It's a bit pricy but worth it you get what you pay for with guns in my experience. Not many making this quality of pump shotguns in todays flooded market. Hope this helps in your hunt good luck. If you want to see these guns in action let me know. I've got plenty of photos of myself and two brothers with em. We knock down plenty of turkey and phesants with the Ithaca 12s each year.
Amen, amen, amen, brother!!!

My family has been hunting model 37s in 12, 16, and 20 for more than 40 years. They are the pinnacle of pump shotgun quality, reliabililty, shootability, and huntability. The actions are the smoothest out there, and after hundreds of rounds, when I push the pump release mine actually drops about 1/2" on its own. Smooth as glass! They are also very lightweight and my 60s era 12 with "corn cob" pump, 30" barrel and modified bore is a dream to carry on all-day hunts. If you are recoil shy, throw a recoil pad on the stock. Finally, they are made from super high grade steel. The bore of my 1960s model shines like glass after a few passes with a bore snake and a mop. The bluing is almost gone at this point in its life, but the internals and everything that matters just plain works.