Upland Forum?

For upland hunting I really like my Beretta 686 20 ga with 28" barrels. Mine is 18 yrs old (bought new) and also has a set of 28 ga barrels I rarely ever use...the 20 ga is lighter and more effective for me vs the 28. I did put a straight grip Beretta stock I bought from Coles many years ago on it. The 686 is very slim in the action, has a nicely rounded frame that fits the hand, and a straight forward safety. that is easy to move off safe with gloves on, but still has a barrel selector...useful for shooting sporting clays and skeet more than for hunting.

As per the the safety, both the other 20 gauges O/U's I once owned, a Browning Citori and a Winchester 101 had a barrel selector and safety where on rare occasion when a bird got up, I would push it straight ahead and it wouldn't move. It needed to be either moved right or left before pushing it ahead to get to the fire position. It didn't happen too often but was really aggravating when it did. They also were much deeper (bulkier) in the action than the 686 20 ga. So far, zero issues with it.

That said, I often hunt with my 16 ga AYA #2 SxS these days. I like twin triggers and the way a SxS carries even better than an O/U....although I have carried the Beretta on a few local grouse hunts this fall.

Popx5

FNG
I shoot a superposed super light in 20 ga., and a model 42. Had to work into both over the years, and found the superposed from a buddy that I got a smoking deal from 15 years or so ago.
Both are great classic upland guns.

I run a sport dog upland collar/beeper and a garmin on my gsp. He runs big and the gps Is great for chukar hunting.

This is where the 550pro shines. It’s the middle ground between the sport pro and Alpha. Basic direction and distance the dog is from you without the fanciness of the Alpha with the mapping but if you venture into thicker woods or have a dog that ranges it will still give you a basic location and alert you when they are on point. Even in high grass, a dog without a bell or beeper that goes on point could be lost if you are not paying attention.

twall13

WKR
Close ranging dog in fairly open cover a GPS collar is overkill IMO. I use them on my hounds and on field trial dogs but haven't on a foot hunting dog.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
I don't have the experience a lot of you guys have but I agree with this. My Boykin stays close and hunts in circles in front of me and I've never felt the need for a GPS collar with him. I have, however, seen some GSP's that I'd certainly want a collar on if they were mine. Hounds I would think it would almost be a necessity.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sportdog Tek 2.0LT collar on our Vizsla. We need it at times when she is invisible in cover or has moved off a ways and is on point. Normally she checks in very well, but will follow birds where ever. Great piece of mind for us too. Also the E-collar feature was required to break her from chasing deer.

Last edited:

rhustek

FNG
I'm new to upland as well, found that podcasts were a great source of information. Once you filter through the sponsors.

I started out with really entry level stuff and I'm finally getting around to upgrading.

E-Collar: Garmin Delta XC Sport or Upland
*I don't let my GSP get out to ranges that I need the GPS functions so I run a Garmin Delta XC Sport. I have the upland version too but don't like the beeper. This collar is also used as a bark limiter prior to collar conditioning, my dog was used to wearing it. The handheld unit is small and easy to use.

Vest: I just purchased a Q5 Quilomene strap vest and love it, found a used one.
Pants: FirstLite Sawbucks are great, new this year
Shotgun: Stevens 555 O/U and CZ Hammer Classic SxS
*CZ has a lot of choices in the affordable range

Used a bunch of different brands O/U. Truly believe price doesn't matter find the one that fits you best. For me I swing Benelli better than anything so that's what I use.

Far as med kit I use one from gundogsupply but there's a lot of good info above. I'll probably change my setup from info on this thread.

I made the switch to an O/U from a semi. There are times where I have said "if I had that third shell", but I will also say that I slow way down focus on one bird and make my 2 shots count. I feel like my accuracy has improved immensely. I caught myself with a group of birds flushing and a semi to try and kill as many of them as I could, and maybe that ended in 3 misses. Its a double edge sword, but I still walk into the field with my O/U.

PA Hunter

WKR
I am a pheasant fanatic, I prefer my Browning Citori feather in 12 ga O/U if I’m hunting stocked birds back East but if I’m late season South Dakota with birds flushing far out all grouped up it’s my Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 . I use different gear for different scenarios.

ericbeb

FNG
I run an astro 430 and a dogtra t&b 2500 for my collars on my dogs. I have had the dogtra collars for 10 years now and last year added the Astro gps system. Very happy with this system.

As far as Guns go I shoot a benelli ethos. In my opinion it’s the ferrari of auto loading shotguns.

Tex68w

WKR
I made the switch to an O/U from a semi. There are times where I have said "if I had that third shell", but I will also say that I slow way down focus on one bird and make my 2 shots count. I feel like my accuracy has improved immensely. I caught myself with a group of birds flushing and a semi to try and kill as many of them as I could, and maybe that ended in 3 misses. Its a double edge sword, but I still walk into the field with my O/U.
Ditto! I still keep my Benelli Legacy around as a backup or loaner but it's almost always my 20ga or 28ga 68x Beretta that gets the nod.

ericbeb

FNG
What do you all run for dog watering systems that keep them from freezing when traveling in your truck? I was looking at that Dakota water but had some concerns it may freeze up on me and crack.

rhustek

FNG
What do you all run for dog watering systems that keep them from freezing when traveling in your truck? I was looking at that Dakota water but had some concerns it may freeze up on me and crack.
I've run the Dine N Dash for the last two years in Colorado. So far so good. I haven't left it in the truck over night, usually bring it in the hotel. I assume the thicker molding and volume of water keep it from freezing during early morning drives to the fields and in between.