Upland GPS System

Hey y'all,

My 2yo GSP is getting older and more confident and starting to range out more and we're going to start traveling out of state next year so it's time to invest in a GPS system. She's my only hunting dog ATM and I don't see myself ever running hounds or having more than 3 pointers/flushers max. So I have 2 real questions.

1. I'm stuck between the Alpha 10 and Alpha 200i for handhelds. I already have a phone with Gaia and OnX with years of waypoints and notes, so on one hand I'm not crazy about re-investing into whatever mapping system the 200i uses but on the other it would be nice to have a redundancy with the extra GPS device. I'm interested in hearing the forums thoughts on the two, which do you like better and why?

2. With either handheld I'm going to run the TT15 collar, from what I've read the Garmin beeper won't work on that collar since it requires a 3/4" band and the TT15 uses a 1" band. My dog is too large for the TT15 mini (16" neck), does anyone know of a beeper that would work on the 1" TT15 collar?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I have the alpha 100. It works great. However it is incredibly frustrating training more than one dog on it. It’s hard to switch between them. I will continue to buy garmins however in the future I will have a separate e collar for home use. The gps works incredible. Thankfully I’ve never actually needed it in regards to dogs running away but it is cool seeing how far the dogs go compared to us humans

I hope the alpha 200 has improvements in regards to buttons getting touched and screens changed around as well when I have the controller in my vest.

In closing if you have one dog garmin is a solid choice in regards to tracking and training. If you are using the system to train multiple dogs you may be slightly frustrated with it. Keep in mind it works great tracking wise it’s the training wise that frustrates me.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I’d probably suggest the Garmin 550 plus if your only running one dog. It’s simple and straightforward. Gives you direction and distance, has a tone and vibration options with 18 levels of stim and operates on the TT15. The 200i is awesome and has a ton of features, like maps, waypoints etc. has the capability to send text messages but it’s not as easy to use as 550 plus and takes some time to get used to but overall might be more collar than you need.

h8brick

FNG
Hey y'all,

My 2yo GSP is getting older and more confident and starting to range out more and we're going to start traveling out of state next year so it's time to invest in a GPS system. She's my only hunting dog ATM and I don't see myself ever running hounds or having more than 3 pointers/flushers max. So I have 2 real questions.

1. I'm stuck between the Alpha 10 and Alpha 200i for handhelds. I already have a phone with Gaia and OnX with years of waypoints and notes, so on one hand I'm not crazy about re-investing into whatever mapping system the 200i uses but on the other it would be nice to have a redundancy with the extra GPS device. I'm interested in hearing the forums thoughts on the two, which do you like better and why?

2. With either handheld I'm going to run the TT15 collar, from what I've read the Garmin beeper won't work on that collar since it requires a 3/4" band and the TT15 uses a 1" band. My dog is too large for the TT15 mini (16" neck), does anyone know of a beeper that would work on the 1" TT15 collar?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
Why would you need a 1980s beeper , all u have to do is look at the handheld and it will tell you exactly where the dog is at

I have had a few tracking systems. Currently have the alpha 100 and the 550plus along with a Garmin watch. The 550 plus is an awesome unit. Excellent for training as it’s based on the tri tronics ecollar and has basic gps display.

Almost never use the alpha. Always reach for the 550 plus when going to run dogs. Since I already have it, if we go out of state, or somewhere new to me I’ll link up the alpha to the collars as a backup. Only two downsides to the 550 plus I can think of. One, the GPS display just tells you distance and direction, pretty basic. Secondly, you can only link up 3 collars. Doesn’t sound like that will be a problem for you. I have 4 bird dogs and is very rarely a problem.

The alpha is terrible for any kind of training in my opinion. Just not intuitive in the layout and too easy for the unit to scroll to other dogs. I’ve tried it for training and it led to untimely corrections and mostly aggravation.

If I were making a recommendation for a hunting and training setup. The 550 plus and the garmin watch would be it, hands down. When hunting I rarely look at anything other than the watch. Easy to glance at just to see where everybody’s at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 550+ and I love it, and if you want to geek out on how much your dog runs you still can with the Garmin app. My favorite feature, and this works with all the Garmin tracking collars, is the ability to link it to a Garmin watch. I thought it was over kill until I tried it, but if you have a big running dog that’s doing there job, it’s nice to just look at your watch, and see what direction they are on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk