Upland lead distancing

Ok. Never thought I’d actually be asking for some guidance on something so extremely objective. I am able to hit doves much more frequently than pheasants it seems. It is actually starting to become discouraging which is why I’m asking to see how far you guys lead?

Let’s say it’s your typical 15-20 yards away and flying away at 45 degrees. Do you try to lead 1-2 feet? Or bc it’s that close and pheasant are slow and not completely left to right just put it right in its head? I miss way too many easy shots, and all 3 I have to shoot

Again any advice is appreciated. I wouldn’t be asking if this wasn’t really bugging me

KurtR

WKR
I put it on the head and swing through. If your hitting those fast little doves i bet your almost to fast on them. My kid had the same problem going from ducks to slow lumbering pheasants

hobbes

WKR
I'm better off if I don't think about it. I pay no attention to the lead and ignore the bead altogether. I just swing and shoot. Once I take notice of where the bead is and try to think about the lead, I've already hesitated and shot behind the bird. I just try to ensure I've mounted the gun properly and keep my eyes on the rooster, preferably his head.

That's just my way. I suspect that you'll hear other ideas.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
At 15 to 20 yards you don’t need too much of a lead. They haven’t really gotten going yet. 35/40 yards is when I focus on a couple of feet lead. I swing from behind them, through the head, then pull the trigger at 15/20. Has been working well for me.

OP
E
I put it on the head and swing through. If your hitting those fast little doves i bet your almost to fast on them. My kid had the same problem going from ducks to slow lumbering pheasants
I’m thinking I’m actually leading too much as well, thanks…going to try to start behind the bird and when I reach the head squeeze it off. Thanks

OP
E
At 15 to 20 yards you don’t need too much of a lead. They haven’t really gotten going yet. 35/40 yards is when I focus on a couple of feet lead. I swing from behind them, through the head, then pull the trigger at 15/20. Has been working well for me.
Yep, going to try no lead on the initial shot. Thanks

OP
E
I'm better off if I don't think about it. I pay no attention to the lead and ignore the bead altogether. I just swing and shoot. Once I take notice of where the bead is and try to think about the lead, I've already hesitated and shot behind the bird. I just try to ensure I've mounted the gun properly and keep my eyes on the rooster, preferably his head.

That's just my way. I suspect that you'll hear other ideas.
I’ve heard this too. Not thinking about the lead, just looking at the target and letting the eyes do the work. I’ll try this the best I can. I get plenty of flushes each day, so will try and see how it work just eyeing up the bird

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot at the white ring on the neck. If you are leading them at all you are shooting in front of them.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
THIS!

Best piece of advice I have ever been given. When your bead hits the white ring, pull the trigger. I can't tell you how many more doubles I have had since I started doing this. And I wound less birds also.

jbarr79

FNG
I have the same problem with pheasants, definitely going to try aiming at the ring!

Mosby

WKR
I tried all this stuff and could barely hit the broadside of a barn, then I bought some new chokes and my shooting improved immediately.

I like you OP, have the same issue at times, dove and quail I’m great then comes to pheasant and I’m having to shoot 10-12 shots to get a limit of 3. I would one shot the ones at 30-40 yards but any closer I couldn’t touch them.

Recently read an article in field & stream I think it was “10 tips to bag more pheasants”. Tip #9 or 10 was how to shoot. Either shoot quick and put it on them or let them get lined out and away from you and then lead them, don’t just try to instinctively shoot their whole flight path… something similar to how I just typed it. One problem I also have at times is not getting my cheek mounted to the stock properly and it’s quite noticeable when I don’t, my shooting suffers big time.

Since I started making up my mind that I will shoot quick and put it right on them, my shooting has improved. I think it just takes field time to get used to shooting at pheasants since they fly differently than other birds.