Upland road trip

Tod osier

WKR
I have started filtering my dogs water and will be taking a water container I got at Walmart and several pre filled water bottles with me on my trip. Reduces stomach issues on the road.

I let them drink just about anything, other than what might have high cyanobacteria levels. I figure that a major joy of traveling to hunt for them is sampling exotic types of animal crap they find, they can't do worse drinking the water out there if they are scarfing turds they find.

Superdoo

WKR
Lot's of good stuff on here.
I noticed that blood stop/ quick clot hasn't been mentioned. I carry a couple of packs at all times. Really great for when you cut a quik or have a torn nail.

Mosby

WKR
I let them drink just about anything, other than what might have high cyanobacteria levels. I figure that a major joy of traveling to hunt for them is sampling exotic types of animal crap they find, they can't do worse drinking the water out there if they are scarfing turds they find.
We go to Kansas City a lot. Our old Vizsla was having constant stomach issues the last few years. Assumed it was food and snacks and made a number of changes. Started giving her Pepto daily. By pure luck, I started filtering the tap water. All her problems went away. All the chemicals in the water were affecting her. The less stomach issue we have on the road though, the better so now I filter the drinking water. That said, my 9 month old Vizsla eats anything and water is the least of his problems. Turds, grass, weeds, plants, floor mats, plastic etc., but he especially loves wood. He eats tree branches and bark like a beaver and then his body spends the next 24 hours getting rid of it out of both ends. Drives me absolutely crazy.

One time my setter ripped open his chest going through a barbed wire fence. If you can't get the wound closed soon enough, dirt debris and bacteria can get inside, and the vet recommendation will be to keep it open until healed. I was still able to hunt him by putting him in a little boys t-shirt, tying a knot in the back to keep it taught. Essentially, the shirt added a small layer of protection without getting too hot.

manitou1

WKR
We have had dogs die from eating poisoned prairie dogs. One of mine almost did and I still don't know how she made it.
I had one jump in a pond to cool off and hit a dried cattail they had bush-hogged. Was like a razor blade. Sliced her chest wide open. Luckily it was only a 30 minute drive to a vet.
Stretch bandages, anti-biotic ointment, liquid bandage, pepto, eye drops and a medical staple gun were good kit items.
On long, out-of-state hunts we also carried something to get their blood sugar stable. I had a buddy that always carried peanut butter on bread, folded in half in baggies for his dogs. Seemed to work. I used commercial options.
Always have plenty of water. Not much worse than having a dog go down with heat four miles from the truck and being low on water. Those 40 degree mornings that turn into 86 degree afternoons can sneak up on you.

manitou1

WKR
Here in WY, both our vets recommend rattlesnake vaccines. For $25 it is cheap insurance. They do recommend them, seeing multiple snake bit dogs a week during peak months. We have a healthy abundance of rattlers here in our area.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Something I keep in my med kit for me or pup, I picked up listening to some backcountry first aid info: I usually keep a small amount of iodine, a nalgene, and a syringe in case I need to irrigate a dirty wound. Mix enough iodine with water to hit tea-like appearance in the nalgene and then use the syringe to forcibly irrigate the wound.

I used to use Lewis boots, now I just use vet-wrap and gorilla tape if I need to boot the dog. Gorilla tape works better than duct tape. Some tape wrapped around an old gift card and 1 roll of vet wrap keeps enough for a couple of boots in my vest for those long days hiking public ground.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
20220911_112602.jpgIn route back today. pretty successful 5 day trip for us hunting sharpies. I wanted to be out longer but this country is tough on soft Midwest dogs. I'll give better update once we make it home.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. Great-looking Pudelpointer. How old and from what kennel if you don't mind me asking?

If you guys haven't already seen one, my wife got our dogs a "pupflask" when we take them on warm weather walks. Basically stainless steel vacuum bottle, but the top has a flexible leaf-shapped silicone flap that unfolds out and under the resealable spout. push the button and poor into the basin and it reduces spillage. When they're done drinking, the excess goes back in the bottle. Next time they're thirsty, rinse-wash-repeat. This has also worked nicely mid-hunt when no creeks or ponds are nearby.
https://www.amazon.com/PupFlask-Por...ocphy=9017805&hvtargid=pla-484979935816&psc=1

KurtR

WKR
If you want to support a good guy who is in the hunting arena they have water bottles like that plus a med kit that i carry in the pick up every where.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Update:
We hunted 5 days straight in 50-80 deg temps. Mostly from 8am to 1pm. This thread really helped insure the dog was prepared for anything. Key items I used was mushers secret wax, and a dog aspirin in the evenings. The wax really helped maintain pad health in the sand, cactus and burs. I had boots but opted to maintain wax usage. I also had a ruffland water hole, I really liked it at first but it sucked to transport, I 3d printed a lid because it spilled in the truckbed often. I still am not quite sold on it. But it beat filling water dishes.

The main failure of the trip was gear for me. Not for hunting but the lazy afternoons spent not hunting. I didn't even bring a book. I did aton of scouting in the vehicle which ultimately kept us in birds but it made for boring days post hunt. I spent alot of time worrying about dog gear and not much else.

Being a solo dog operation, resting a dog is key. Even a full day does wonders and I can see it in the dog now that we are home. I think he had more in the tank left than I gave him credit for.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
I used to use Lewis boots, now I just use vet-wrap and gorilla tape if I need to boot the dog. Gorilla tape works better than duct tape. Some tape wrapped around an old gift card and 1 roll of vet wrap keeps enough for a couple of boots in my vest for those long days hiking public ground.
Id like to see pictures of the boots if you have them.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
He is 5 years old. PM if you'd like info on breeder.
Thanks. I'm not in the market currently, but that's a great-looking dog so I'll PM you for future knowledge.

I love seeing other Pudelpointers out there getting it done. I've only crossed paths with one in the field here locally in PA.

My PP, Jethro, is 6 years old and the breeder has since retired.

Attachments

• JETHRO.jpg
    JETHRO.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 18

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Id like to see pictures of the boots if you have them.
I don't have any pics, but it wouldn't hurt to put some on the pup this weekend to see how he handles them. I'll take some pics them. Crusted over snow is rough on dogs feet and the most common time I'll boot my dogs.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
1000001690.jpg
Can confirm this works, hauled it around for 4 days on our second upland road trip. Only to get skunked today after getting home walking a sunflower field. Second time now. This expedited the whole de skunk process and I'll be keeping another bottle on hand.