Upland Shirt Recommendations

twall13

WKR
So I feel like I have most of my upland clothing/gear pretty dialed in but I've never found an upland specific shirt I really like. Over the last few years I've mostly used an old First Lite llano that is pretty ripped up at this point. It was never really designed for busting brush like I do upland hunting but I have a Wilkin for big game hunting so I didn't care if I wripped up the old llano and I like merino's breathability, etc. I'd like something a bit more durable with some stretch, but still moisture wicking and breathable. I'd rather have something fairly lightweight that I can layer over when it gets cooler as I have plenty of good options for outer layers. Here are a few options I'm looking at. Any information on fit and function would be much appreciated.

First Like Ranger Stretch Snap Shirt. This looks like a pretty good option that could potentially do double duty in other situations. How's the fit? At 6'1" 180 Lbs. I'm typically more of a Medium chest but have a long torso and arms so I'm thinking a Large might be better if I go this route.

Orvis Pro LT Hunting Shirt. I have an Orvis jacket that I like so this is on the radar. Any experience with fit and function?

Cabela's Instinct Prarie Runner Button Down Shirt. I saw the previous version at Cabela's a year or two ago and it actually looked/felt like a pretty good option. They didn't have my size in stock but I can't even remember what if I wanted a Large or a Medium at this point. Again, any experience please comment. It's a bit cheaper than the other options but I'm more concerned with the right fit/performance than the price.

Any other great options I'm missing as I'm certainly not set on any of these options yet? LL Bean? Others? Chime in with your favorites and any information on what you like/dislike about what you've tried in the past. Thanks.

WestNE

WKR
I don't usually recommend Under Armour but their upland shirt is really solid. Lots of stretch and thick enough to be durable but not hot (almost a lightweight soft shell material). Of your options the only I have experience with is the Cabelas shirt, i found the "armour" on the sleeves to be uncomfortably stiff and flaking off after a couple long days.

Though honestly i now favor whatever cheap, orange, non-cotton, long sleeve tee I can find. If it cools down then an lightweight shell usually does the trick. Always a Filson strap vest over that. Or one of the old browning pheasants forever strap vests, the belt loops on the back side of the pockets were really helpful.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have that orvis shirt and the cabelas as well. They are both fine. I prefer the orvis of those two. My favorite synthetic is the LL bean below But that has more to do with their tall size being a good fit for my frame Than any feature or function.

I started with and still have some older cotton upland shirts And TBH the old school ones are better for busting brush. All my synthetic shorts have picks and pulls. FWIW, most of the guides I have seen and worked with over the years wear cotton upland shirts as well.

like WestNE above, I actually tend to prefer t shirt type tops for most upland hunting now. They breath better when it is hot and they are better base layers when it is colder and you layer over them. I have a quarter zip from orvis and this one from cabelas.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
That's good info., thanks for the reply. How's the fit on that LL Bean shirt? If they had a medium tall that would probably be ideal for me, I'm worried the Large tall might be too big. I'll look at some other synthetics as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I have the Ranger shirt, and I would choose the Corrugate jacket everyday over that.
Interesting, can you explain why? To me the Corrugate would layer over something like the ranger, not replace it, but I don't own either piece so I'm interested in hearing more about why you prefer it and how you use it.

That's good info., thanks for the reply. How's the fit on that LL Bean shirt? If they had a medium tall that would probably be ideal for me, I'm worried the Large tall might be too big. I'll look at some other synthetics as well.

i am 6’3” 250#. More crossfit than dad bod. 75% of my shirts are XXL But often baggy in the torso. XL works on some stuff though But usually doesn’t have enough arm length. i need XXL in the cabelas and or is shirts to get enough shoulder room + sleeve length. LLBean Tall XL is a good fit for me. I would say snug but not tight and usually plenty long. They aren’t the LL Bean of the old days but they have some good stuff here and there and the upland shirt works for me.

sndmn11

WKR
Interesting, can you explain why? To me the Corrugate would layer over something like the ranger, not replace it, but I don't own either piece so I'm interested in hearing more about why you prefer it and how you use it.

That ranger shirt is very thin and while durable for how thin it is, I would never call durable. Think of it like a nylon llano/wilkin. If you were in a knee high milo field or chasing chukars up a pretty bare hillside it would be fine. I would not wear it in any vegetation that is going to be rough on it. The Corrugate jacket is ultra tough and you only give up some breath ability.
I'd play ranger shirt in dove season by water, but wouldn't even think about putting it on in pheasant season.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions?

Kind of a left field one but might fit your needs I've really liked Poncho shirts for fishing and they're releasing a couple of camo patterns and have some other colors that might work. Super functional, well built, and actually look pretty good although that's pretty low on my list usually.

Lookout85

FNG
I have and like the orvis pro. Wish it had more blaze orange but fit is great (I’m 5’10” 175, medium almost always). Best I’ve found recently. Will prob pick up another.

Bean technical shirt is pretty good but cut big. I have to turn cuffs up a couple inches. I have used these for a while but am tired of the baggy fit.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
I have and like the orvis pro. Wish it had more blaze orange but fit is great (I’m 5’10” 175, medium almost always). Best I’ve found recently. Will prob pick up another.

Bean technical shirt is pretty good but cut big. I have to turn cuffs up a couple inches. I have used these for a while but am tired of the baggy fit.
Thanks, your comments on the fit really help. If I could get the LL Bean in a medium tall I would likely give it a shot but after a discussion with customer service they only make that shirt in tall sizes starting at Large and I feel like it would be too baggy for me. At this point, I'm probably either looking at the Orvis or First Lite option. Probably a Medium if I go with the Orvis, not sure if I'd want Medium or Large in First Lite but at least they have a good exchange program if the sizing doesn't work.

Spoonbill

WKR
Columbia makes/made shooting shirts that are built out of the same material as their fishing shirts. Not sure if they offer blaze orange or not, seems like they are constantly changing what they offer. I have an old shooting shirt from them that has held up well over the last 10 years of fairly regular wear.

Michael54

WKR
These two were game changers for me. Ever since wicks stopped making stuff ive had a hart time finding things. Mule apparel is bomb proof. The lightweight vented shirt is nice overtop a long sleeve merino base

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
How is the fit on the Lightweight Vented Shirt? At 6'1", 180 lbs. I have a long, skinny torso. Typically a size medium fits across the chest but I have long arms and a long torso which work better with Large or XL. Medium Tall sizes usually work best for me but are awfully hard to find.

Michael54

WKR
I was in a legit 3x last year and it was big enough to layer underneath. I wear talls as well im 6'3 with short legs. Putting my hands directly over my head with arms extended it would clear my waist but not to shoot. I just ordered an xl and xxl for myself as ive dropped a decent amount of weight. The xl for early season and 2x to layer under. I have 37" sleeves and sleeve length is good on me

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Anyone have any experience with the Pyke Kiowa shirt? Specifically looking for fit references. I tried the First Lite Ranger shirt and it's a bit short but otherwise a decent option for me. I still feel like I'm on the search for the right lightweight shirt. Pyke and the Mule vented shirt are next on my list to try.

OMB

WKR
If it's over 60 degrees, I pretty much stick with Columbia PFG's with the understanding they're going to get beat up.

Most of October I've been wearing the LL Bean Hurricane shirt under my vest and I've been super happy about it, especially in some nasty cover. Wish they had as many color options as they offered in past before I figured out it's my new favorite upland shirt.